Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-24-2003, 08:52 PM   #1
Think
Cooling Neophyte

Well, that did it...I destroyed my ATI9500PRO

I tried to pry off the shim as carefully as I could to see if it would budge...everything was fine until my son tapped me on the shoulder and I put a little scratch on the GPU.

I didn't get upset, as a matter of fact I stopped what I was doing and we went into the friggid Canadian cold for some street hockey.

Well, I just put it back in and it's toasted

Now I have the nice little DangerDen cooler with no card in place except for my old Geforce 2.

I need advice...wait a few weeks until the NvidiaFX comes out and pick up the ATI 9700Pro at a more reasonable price?

:shrug:
Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2003, 09:12 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

It would depend on your application: if you're into graphics intensive apps, you might want to wait, but all in all, you'd probably do well to go for a cheaper solution.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
Think
Cooling Neophyte

I noticed from your sig that you're patiently waiting for the FX.

The general application for this is a hobbies appeal, but I can't wait for Doom 3 to be released!.

I still enjoy my MOHAA as well as a few other games.

Is the FX going to be that much better of a contender?

I have the water block for the Radeon, but I'm sure I can use it for the Northbridge with very little modification, other than some hardware clamps.

Maybe I will wait. Any news on when the FX with be available and if so, what brand name are you looking at?
Unread 01-24-2003, 10:04 PM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Actually, I don't play graphics intensive games, but I do expect my PC not to be delayed by a VC. Given the latest doodads on the internet, I'd rather be ready for it.

The kids might want to get their hands on this thing too, and that means games, fast one...

Other than surfing, some SolidWorks modeling, and the odd game, I don't really have any use for a fast video card. I would do far better with gobs of RAM.

On the other hand, I might get my hands into the Cg language...
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2003, 11:24 PM   #5
Think
Cooling Neophyte

Time is a precious commodity in my home as well. Having 3 boys from 6months to 9 years of age is a very time consuming venture.

However, I do enjoy the occassionaly recreation of playing...even though I havn't had time for 2 months (not kidding). Doom3 and Thief are the only games that interest me as well as MOHAA on-line.

As mentioned, it's just a hobby interest for me...keeps me out of trouble and in the home

Time to go to bed.
Unread 01-25-2003, 02:03 AM   #6
golovko
Cooling Savant

thought i destroyed my radeon 9500pro a few days ago as well. I was watching a divx movie when my screen started flickering all weird. i turned off the comp right away and looked inside my case. my maze3 top had cracked and water was running down my motherboard and pooling up on my vc. luckilly nothing was destroyed in the process besides the maze. those are cheap tho in comparison to a new vid card (my geforce3 was lost to water before christmas)
golovko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2003, 10:41 AM   #7
BladeRunner
Cooling Savant

Think

Sorry to hear of the death but, If you are not intending to rma the 9500 and the plan is to throw it away, I'd maybe give you a small amount for it. Shipping could be the main issue as I'm in the UK but dead cards are useful for making my water-cooler designs, that I'm trying to get to a buyable kit format.

anyhow email me if interested

jonathan@zerofanzone.co.uk
Unread 01-27-2003, 03:37 AM   #8
dima y
Cooling Savant

Default Bids starting at...

well if we are on the buying topic. Shall we have some good old competition? I say we shall

I'll start off my bid with $10 US and I pay for the shipping.

let the bidding begin?
dima y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 04:28 AM   #9
MadDogMe
Thermophile

A scratch on the GPU should'nt kill it, just lapp it out with some wet'n'dry, unless ATi cores are wildly different than nvidia?...

Are you sure you did'nt pop off one of the surface mounted capacitors/resistors?, that'd make more sense...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 08:31 AM   #10
Danger-Darryn
Cooling Neophyte

I'm guessing he scratched the top of the package and not the die. I did the same to my NB and that went the same way
CPU:MEM 1:1 160MHz
Cheapo Coolmaster HSF

Full Atlantis system under construction
Danger-Darryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2003, 11:50 AM   #11
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

The 9500 and the 9700 cores are the same where once the HSF is removed, the core looks almost exactly like a Athlon chip. The core has NO protective cover/heatspeader and you can even chip it just as easily as an Athlon. The only thing remotely protecting that core is the shim that goes around the outer rim of the whole chip.

A nice scratch can easily be the death of that core, just like on an Athlon.
SCSI Raid 5 x (3) Cheetah 15K HDDs
LSI Express 500 (128MB cache)
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
DTEK WhiteWater + DTEK Custom Radiator
Eheim 1250
jtroutma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2003, 01:46 PM   #12
Think
Cooling Neophyte

Sorry for the late reply but work has had me in a tale spin as of late.

Anyway:

Blade Runner, I would be more then willing to provide you with the damaged ATI 9500PRO but I had the good fortune of getting it replaced from ATI without question.

Ati are located just East of my location in the Toronto region and I informed them that the card was not operating very well , they provided me with several options:

1)On-line registration process that entails a credit card number and a $230 holding fee; this would provide a 2 day shipping of a replacement.

I do not like giving out my credit card number, especially in this case

2)Ship the card out for service; two week process.

absolutely not since the damage is very obvious; from scratches on the shim as well as some minor scratches on the GPU itself.

3)Drive to there location and exchange the card for an immediate replacement!

YES YES YES

All is well now but I havn't attempted to place the Danger Den block on. At this point, I do not want to remove the shim and will modify the block itself.

By the way, I've upgraded the bios on the card and it's now successfully overclocked at 340/310 with the factory HSF. Now just to figure out a logical location for the temperature prob.
Unread 02-10-2003, 03:01 PM   #13
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Gawd, if I ever burn an ATi, I now know who to call ....
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2003, 09:30 AM   #14
nexxo
Cooling Savant

Get a block from OverclockedPC for your Radeon 9700, and you wont have to worry about the shim; the block is adapted to fit it.

Don't bother with a GeforceFX. Comparative testing at PCPro.co.uk has found it to be slower than the Radeon 9700 except for one benchmark (the 3D "Nature" test) where it was only 7% faster. Take into account the 30% price difference and the fact that the GeforceFX is pretty noisy (I mean, just look at that fan setup! That thing just begs to be WC) that pretty much clinches the deal for me...