Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-15-2003, 05:52 PM   #1
breathe_nitrox
Cooling Neophyte

Default Will WC improve my chances of OC?

I'll be setting up for WC soon, just waiting on a few more components. My main intention is to quiet my pc, but some mild OC would be nice. I have not OC'd since my celery 300A, the two AMD's I've used since then always ran stock. I currently have a P4 2.66 with a Intel stock HSF. I tried OCing it to day just to see what it would do with air cooling but I didn't have much luck. I set the FSB at 150, and the DDR mult at 2.66 to give me 400 on the mem (Corsair xms 3200). It booted into windows but crashed as soon as I tried to run 3dMark 2003. This was at default voltages. I then bumped the core up to 1.75v and the mem up to 2.8v, with the same results. I'm honestly a little disappointed, I would have thought a 150 fsb achievable even with stock cooling. Granted I didn't experiment with lower fsb's. I'm holding off until I go over to WC next week. My question is based on the minimal testing I did, will WCing my system give me a good shot at 150 fsb and 3.0 , or should I just set my hopes for a quiet 2.66. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, my celery 300a was a long time ago, but as I remember it all I needed to do was switch from 100 fsb to 133 fsb.
" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty. This much we pledge, and more. " JFK 1961
breathe_nitrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2003, 06:12 PM   #2
gmat
Thermophile

better CPU cooling = better chances to a higher CPU overclock
better North Bridge cooling = better chances to a higher FSB
The key word here is "chance" - you had it right in your title. OCing depends heavily on your mobo quality, your RAM (with Corsair things should be OK ), and if there's a PCI / AGP lock (in case of FSB OCing).
But if there's the potential, watercooling will allow you to exploit it.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote