Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-10-2003, 07:31 PM   #76
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathar
Totally agreed - the question I guess is how promising it is given 3PSI pressures that people use?

Given 50PSI pressures, it's definitely the way to go.
I have gotten comparable results with impingement as micro-channels would with atleast 3 PSI. Atleast with 1mm channels anyways. I have no idea how true micro-channels(as the name applies) would do. But I have to stop and think if I'm effecting another block in the cooling loop that might be there.

Do I think impingement can out do a micro-channel block with just 3PSI? No I don't. I believe it would be an even call. 50 PSI? Sure but it isn't practical.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathar

Ever considered using one of those high-pressure jet-sprayers that are used for cleaning mud and crap off cars and engines? I've always been curious if the rapid pulsing effect of the flow would create favorable turbulence by rapidly increasing and decreasing the jet impingement radius, and the pumps can typically push up to 600PSI or so. It'd be a "cheapish", if rather noisy, way to conduct the experiment, and when you're done with it, you get to clean your car too.
Never considered that. Some hefty hose clamps and high pressure hose would be in order. LOL I did hook up my garden hose to my block without impingement and gave it try. The ground water always stays roughly 23C here. Just 3C under what my water temp is now. I was amazed how well it did. Now you got me wanting to try it again with impingement. I enjoy your insight Cathar! You got me to realize a few points I didn't think about.

Last edited by SysCrusher; 02-10-2003 at 07:40 PM.
SysCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2003, 11:20 PM   #77
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Default More on power dissipation.

Continuing where I left off...

Having an equation to approximate an Eheim 1048 PQ curve makes it easy to generate some more graphs in Excel.

The following graph shows aspects of a simulated watercooling system composed of a DTEK TC-4, a Big Momma Heatercore, and an Eheim 1048. (Tubing, fittings, etc. neglected blah, blah, blah)

Drawing a line down from the intersection of the yellow line and dark blue line, (intersection of loop PQ and pump PQ) it can be seen that the flowrate through this system will be about 5lpm, and the power transferred from the pump to the loop will be about 0.92 Watts. (Out of about 0.94 Watts maximum pump output.)

Because the system pressure drop is split about 50/50 between the TC-4 and the Big Momma, the power dissipation in the block itself will be about 0.46 Watts. From my first chart it can be seen that at 0.46 Watts dissipation the thermal resistance of the TC-4 will be about 0.226 C/W.

The following chart is the same, except with a MCW462-UH simulated in place of the the TC-4.

In this case it can be seen that the flowrate is a bit higher. (6.4 lpm instead of 5 lpm) The power dissipated in the loop is about the same. (0.93 Watts instead of 0.92 Watts)

The power dissipated in the block is a much smaller fraction of the total power delivered by the pump. (About 5.5% or 0.05 Watts) Looking at my first graph, the thermal resistance of the MCW462-UH in this system would be about 0.246 C/W.

So is there any particular value to doing watercooling system performance calculations in terms of power consumption? None that I can think of. The data Bill provides yields all these results without any need to calculate a power consumption.

It's been interesting to me to look at this stuff from this perspective though. I've got a lot better feel for how the parts of the system interact.

Hmm... Starting to think that Dodge Viper's putting those extra barbs on the wrong end of the heatercore.
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote