Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-07-2003, 08:41 PM   #1
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Default Is this pump ehouph? Eheim 1250

Hello!

In my sig you can see that I already own and use this pump, however I am embarking on the construction of a new system( http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...&threadid=5543 ), and am wondering if the added restrictions are going to be too much for it.

This is what I will be using:

CPU Waterblock: White Water Rapids (.5")
GPU Waterblock: DangerDen Newest generation of GPU blocks on a GF4 4600 (.5")
NB Waterblock: DangerDen Z-Chip (.5")

Heatercores: (2 of these) http://www.heatercore4u.com/2-617.htm (9.875" X 6.125" X 2") cooling size

Pump: I am currently considering the Eheim 1250 (Help me decide)

Reservoir: custom made polycarbonate cube

Tubing: From last waterblock(s) to res to pump (5/8" ID), from pump to radiators to blocks and through blocks (1/2" ID).

Flow:===>reservoir===>pump===>split between both radiators then returning back together after radiators===>CPU block===>GPU Block===>NB Block===>Reservoir

Highest point in system: 12"

Well there it is, do you think the 1250 will be powerful enough to give the CPU block the power it needs to perform well? If not, do you think the 1260 would work, while not adding much heat to the system?

Second question that has been briefly discussed before: If we assume that the flow restriction in the two DangerDen blocks are similiar, wouldn't one get more flow through the whole system if one were to split the flow between the two other blocks after the CPU waterblock?

Thank you for your help in advance,

Brian W

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 11:08 PM   #2
m3_arun
Cooling Neophyte

maybe you should consider the iwaki md20rz...
i dont think the eheim 1260 is a good choice, and the 1250 might not have enough pressure with two heatercores.
iwakis are available at www.deepseagallery.com
256MB Micron PC2400

WC system soon...

Iwaki MD-30RZ (getting fittings right now)
Cathar WW block #102 (arrived)
Heater core (still pondering)
(still need to get tubing)
m3_arun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 11:38 PM   #3
Cathar
Thermophile

As a rough guess, I'd esimate a little over 5lpm flow rates for that setup with a 1250. These are perfectly acceptable flow rates. The 1260 is not going to have enough extra pressure head to make any appreciable difference to overcome the extra pump heat that it pushes into the water. If you really want to get the most out of it though, go with the Iwaki MD20-RZ.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 11:54 PM   #4
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Well fitting that monster in my case will be difficult to say the least....I may end up stayong with my 1250.

If i were to use that pump in my setup, I would need to the outlet to be horizontal instead of vertical. Do you know if that is possible? Do you know if the EM output is similiar to the Eheim (ie: no noticeable EMI)?

Cathar what would you think my overall CPU temperature difference would be between the 1250 and the Iwaki? say for a 2GHZ tbred?

Any insight on the flow question? To split or not to split after the CPU?

Thanks again for all your help....

Brian W

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
Unread 02-08-2003, 12:33 AM   #5
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianW
If i were to use that pump in my setup, I would need to the outlet to be horizontal instead of vertical. Do you know if that is possible? Do you know if the EM output is similiar to the Eheim (ie: no noticeable EMI)?

Cathar what would you think my overall CPU temperature difference would be between the 1250 and the Iwaki? say for a 2GHZ tbred?

Any insight on the flow question? To split or not to split after the CPU?
I think EMI is meant to be lower on the Iwaki's due to the metal shielding around the pump motor.

Temperature difference between the two pumps would be in the order of 1.0-1.5C is my prediction.

I advise against splitting after the CPU via the blocks two outlets as this has a tendency to imbalance the internal flow within the block reducing performance. I know of one customer who did it and lost 1C on the CPU, but that's also well within the typical margin of error for most motherboard temperature sensors.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2003, 01:46 AM   #6
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Iwaki MD15rl............vs................Eheim 1250

Flow rate 300 gph.......................317gph

head rate 11'2"...........................6'7"

wattage 30..................................28

Pumps are near being the same size.

With all you have spec'd in your system the Iwaki's greater head rate might be helpfull. And it won't have the size issues of the 20rz.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2003, 01:57 PM   #7
BrianW
Cooling Savant

I cant find that model you refer to, is it this one: WMD-15R(T) ?

Well that thing is still 8" long.... That is hard to fit. Allbeit hard, It does make it at least feesable. Also I was reading on their site that the pump gets quite warm. Warm enouph to only hold your hand on it for 5 seconds. That is going to radiate alot of heat to the rest of my system. If I am truly only going to get 1.5c better temps, then I will probably go with the Eheim. Thanks for all the help guys. If you have more suggestions please post em....

Brian W

Last edited by BrianW; 02-08-2003 at 02:07 PM.
Unread 02-08-2003, 02:16 PM   #8
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Here is the MD-15R in my system, great little pump!

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2003, 02:33 PM   #9
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Where did you buy that pump. It looks more like the 10rt from all the pictures I have seen.Edit: I saw the dimensions and take this back.....

Do you have the tubes directly connected to the pump? Or are you using any barbs?

Are these pumps as quiet as the Eheim series?

Brian W

Last edited by BrianW; 02-08-2003 at 03:04 PM.
Unread 02-08-2003, 08:30 PM   #10
RoboTech
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianW
Where did you buy that pump. It looks more like the 10rt from all the pictures I have seen.Edit: I saw the dimensions and take this back.....

Do you have the tubes directly connected to the pump? Or are you using any barbs?

Are these pumps as quiet as the Eheim series?

Brian W
Hey Brian,

The Iwaki's are avialable from numerous sources... M3_arun gave a link a few posts up and I recently bought an MD-15R fro VWR lab supplies www.vwr.com

The pump is available with integral 1/2" barbs or with NPT.

IMHO it's not as quiet as the E-1250 (but not bad) and the motor does run hotter.

Good luck,
RoboTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2003, 10:52 PM   #11
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Ok thanks everyone, for now I will go with an Eheim 1250.

Brian W

Unread 02-17-2003, 11:07 PM   #12
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Here is an updated parts list:

Pump: Iwaki MD-20RZ(T) http://www.iwakipumps.com/pub/SpecSheets/MD1520.pdf
Radiators: Two Fedco 2-617 Heatercores http://www.heatercore4u.com/2-617.htm [Purchased]
Custom reservoir with 1/2" NPT female threads for 5/8" Barbs
Quick Disconnects: 5/8" Nominal flow CPC Valved shutoffs http://www.colder.com/fl_series.cfm [Purchased]
Waterblocks:
1 CPU Waterblock ( http://jpiperformance.com/water_blocks.htm )
1 GPU Waterblock ( http://www.dangerden.com/mall/chipset.asp )
1 NB Waterblock ( DD Danger Den Z-Chip Block )
Fans: Six 120X25mm Aluminum Fans http://jab-tech.com/120mm_aluminum_...rome_79cfm.html

Approximate Tubing lengths:
5/8" Tubing: 2-2.5'
1/2" Tubing: 1.5-2.5'

# of 90 degree turns:
3/4" Schedule40 Pipe: 4 (on each side of quick disconnects)

T's:
1/2" Copper T's: 2 (on inlet and outlet of radiators)

Y's:
1/2" Hose adapter Y (after CPU block)

Anyone care to estimate the Head that will give me, and the resultant expected flow with the pump I have chosen?

Unread 02-18-2003, 04:44 AM   #13
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by RoboTech
Hey Brian,

The Iwaki's are avialable from numerous sources... M3_arun gave a link a few posts up and I recently bought an MD-15R fro VWR lab supplies www.vwr.com
I can not find any Iwaki pumps there. Would anyone know the part # for a Japanese MD-20RZ with the barbs and rated for 120VAC?

Thanks again,

Brian W

Unread 02-18-2003, 06:53 AM   #14
RoboTech
Cooling Savant

Here is a link to the Iwaki pump pages in the Cole-Parmer catalog. This may not be the best source if you don't already have an account and get a discount. I think some of the online aquarium shops, etc. might be better.

Centrifugal Magnetic Drive pumps (Cole-Parmer)
RoboTech is offline   Reply With Quote