Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-17-2003, 09:32 PM   #1
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Default Callin all tha big dogs!

This water cooling stuff is a lot more complicated than I thought. Then I hear different things from different people. One guy says pump to block (more pressure and turbulance) the other says rad to block (cooler water). Then I hear more water to the pump. Rad on top is bad, I have rad on top it's fine. My head hurts, this damn delta is pissin me off and this shit is like a woman, no, yes, chinese sounds good your halfway there and then you get I really want mexican, well why the hell did'nt you suggest that when I asked you dammit.

I need all of your guys input, please. I need you guys to pick me apart and then recommend exactly what needs to be changed, hell say "that looks like shit" or "it looks fine", just say something. The more questions I ask the more confused I get.

The pic below is my case and the way I want to set things up. The only thing that is not set in stone (actually only the case and components are set in stone) is the hose length and size as well as the barb size. The pump is the best I can do for now ($35.99) as I do not have a $100 for a super pump.

Also, I want to use fittings that have matching ID to the tubes and force the hose onto it (read that restrictions like these limit flow, and I am worried that my pump may be slightly underpower), except for the waterblock which has 1/2" OD fittings (I don't want to f-up the waterblock by trying to change them out). Please notice the tube size changes. Am I way off base, should I do what Blackeagle (btw thanks for your input on my dumbass questions) suggested and just go 1/2" all the way around? Am I making things too complicated? Is there any benifit to what I have proposed? Do I need to modify to acheive a benifit?

Forgot 1 thing hose measurements
lft red is 7"
rt red is 11"
lft blue is 9"
rt blue is 6"
total of 33"
going res>pump>rad>block will take it to 45"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final wawa copy.jpg (50.9 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by psychofunk; 02-17-2003 at 11:51 PM.
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2003, 10:34 PM   #2
pokpok
Cooling Neophyte

IMO you should just stick with one diameter. the parts you chose, can u select the size of them?

from what i read this is the reccomended order of flow

pump>RAD>waterblock>res>pump

i really dont think the pump puts that much heat into the flow, but cool the water as much as possible before it reaces the cpu
pokpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2003, 11:50 PM   #3
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Yes I can select the size of the inlets and outlets.
Unread 02-18-2003, 02:36 AM   #4
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

what i would do if i were u is to screw the inlet nozzle of your pump into your res. that cuts the length of tubing with 1/3 + gives your pump a very restriction free inlet. the rest looks good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue.jpg (9.5 KB, 86 views)
Unread 02-18-2003, 07:36 AM   #5
Blackeagle
Thermophile

I have to say I really like G.I.Amour's set up. Were it me I'd turn his pump & res around and go pump=>rad=>CPU=>res/pump.
This would give the much shorter lines of G.I.'s set up and the slightly cooler water of going rad to CPU.

The major savings on line length is the thing here. Will for sure help your flow by keeping them so short. Put a second barb in the top of the res and run it up to the top and your set with a good fill point, and this will be a easy system to fill.

And just for the sake of looks you could make the res out of 3/8" clear plexi. Add a bit of dye of the color of your choice and a UV light and it should look real sharp. And a second plus is it will have a differant look than what those who use all made up comercial parts have (although Innovatek offers a very tiny res that hooks up like this).

Lot's of diffeant ways to set up. You have seen that from differant guys input. In the end do what's best for you.

edit: Line size isn't much of a issue as all the ones you're looking at are large enough.

Last edited by Blackeagle; 02-18-2003 at 07:45 AM.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 08:44 AM   #6
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

i once had the same Q in mind, were u to wonder, it is not necessary for your res to be in the highest spot. since there are no leaks (i hope for you ;-) ) there is noplace for air to enter the lines and push all the higher water out of your res.

as blackeagle states, the shorter lines will work magic for your flow, but what i think is important is that your setup will look more clean...
Unread 02-18-2003, 09:24 AM   #7
nicozeg
Cooling Savant

I think your system is very well setup. Pump heat is really negligible so it's ok to opt for the shortest pipe configuration. Using different size tubes is good in your case, as bigger is always better if you can comfortably use it. As you use the wider pipes in the return path, that's very good because the water flows slower and at very low restriction, just what's needed for pump intake.

GL suggestion could be good to keep pipes shorter, but having the res in a high spot makes very easy to fill the loop and take out bubbles. That's a matter of taste.
nicozeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 06:25 PM   #8
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Either way works. Watercooling is not an exact science. In most cases, arrange it however is most convenient in your case and you'll be fine.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 06:38 PM   #9
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by g.l.amour
what i would do if i were u is to screw the inlet nozzle of your pump into your res. that cuts the length of tubing with 1/3 + gives your pump a very restriction free inlet. the rest looks good
Being that I am a Newbie I was thinking that a res at the top would let me bleed the system more easily, do you think that your suggested arrangement would make bleeding any more difficult for me? Remember I am a wawa virgin, I like jumping into things with both feet but I don't want to make it any more difficult to maintainance than necessary and I am constantly hearing how much of a pain in the ass it is to bleed the system, air travels to the highest point, blah, blah, blah.