Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 11-22-2004, 01:13 PM   #1
Chew_Toy
Cooling Savant

Default Single pass vs Dual pass

I have been wondering which type would be best to use in our systems. If you take two radiators exactly the same size with the only difference being the tanks (one setup as a SP and the other setup as a DP) which would perform the best in a typical loop.

To me what it boils down to is with the SP you have less restriction (which will give better flow rates which means better temps) and with the DP you have twice the velocity of the water going through the tubes which makes the rad itself more efficient and will give lower temps (from what I have seen posted on rad testing I would guess about 10% better temps because of it). I would guess the bigger the rads were (more cores, more tubes, or bigger tubes) the more it would favor the DP and the smaller would favor the SP. Has anyone done any actual testing of the two types? And at what size it would make a difference?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Chew_Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2004, 02:02 PM   #2
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

be very careful in thinking this one out
some answers are surprising

yup, lots of testing; this is basic to rad design
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2004, 02:12 PM   #3
Chew_Toy
Cooling Savant

Quote:
be very careful in thinking this one out
some answers are surprising
hmmm... I actually thought I might of gotten at least a hint from you rather than more questions. :-) Or maybe is something wrong with my logic. :-(

Last edited by Chew_Toy; 11-22-2004 at 02:24 PM.
Unread 11-22-2004, 02:25 PM   #4
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

you can think it through, both sides are fluid velocity sensitive - which incurs a head loss
so one pass vs. two pass, single core vs. dual
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
Chew_Toy
Cooling Savant

I understand that part, A DP single core would have far more restriction than SP dbl core, but also about 1/4th the velocity of the water in the tubes. In a case like that I would say the great amount of head loss incured by the 1st could not be overcome by the water velocity in the tubes. In a SP SC vs a DP SC (ie BIP) is where I guess for water cooling would be an area I cant guess or reason out.
To me I would say that two of the most common heater cores used are the 2-302 and 2-342 which are of similar size I would the DP (2-302) would be a better pic for temps than the Sp (2-342) but those are both dbl cored rads and I dont think either would have a great effect on flow in a system.
But a single core unit like the BIP series (or any single cored rad) is more restrictive and could easily have enough difference in restriction to justify a SP version (not sure of this but a guess).

I also believe that a single core rad twice as wide (twice the number of tubes) would again lower the overall restricion and cut the velocity in the tubes as to where it would be better to have as a DP.
Unread 11-22-2004, 03:20 PM   #6
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

perhaps an easy test to find out is to take 2 SP cores and then run then in paralell then in series and find out what gives you better temps...
but also a factor would be how well your WB performs... if it performs well with a lower flow rate then running a DP SC would be good...
my 2ยข