Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 06-20-2002, 12:10 AM   #26
tim-may
Cooling Savant

I have never been on the HardOCP forums, but i was just at the Overclockers Forums....there must be over 100 people on all the time. not to brag or bring procooling down, but 110,000 posts just in the cooling sections makes me think most of them dont know how to use the search feature....most of it is crap and is very redundant, but you can find the info your need if you search for it (asus voltage mods anyone?)

ill probly check out the hardOCP forums later, but procooling's forums are the best by far
tim-may is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2002, 02:12 AM   #27
Brad
Thermophile

yeah, in the [h] forums you will see SO many repeated questions, should I water cool? how much will my processor overclock? what cooler should I use? etc.

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2002, 07:57 AM   #28
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Nah the bulk of the posts in O/cers cooling forums are also "what heatsink is better, x,y,z?" "Are these temperatures ok?" etc etc. There are indeed some knowledgable people over at o/cers though and the cooling section has some very useful threads.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2002, 04:01 PM   #29
tim-may
Cooling Savant

Default hahaha

obviously there are some smart people on the Hard forums...

Quote:
You will need at least a 156 watt pelt on your Duron. My guess is it's toast now. I would also recommend reading the articles at Pro Cooling on condensation prevention. You need to insulate the inside and outside of the CPU socket, coldplate and the back of the motherboard. Dielectric grease in the pin holes of the ZIF socket is a must.
tim-may is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2002, 04:54 PM   #30
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Mr. Thompson isn't bad at all,

But the ratio of stupid people to smart people there is pretty bad.

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2002, 06:44 PM   #31
Lord Twilight
Cooling Neophyte

I also go to the [H]. When I do though, I mostly lurk around in the Cool Cases and OC&C. I occasionally go into GenMay, but usually just for entertainment value. (Some of the threads in there are fun to read ). Oh, and Digital Artwerk.. There is a lot of good info there. A lot of times I do some research when I'm thinking about getting a new HD or something, and go into whichever forum and search for what I'm looking for to see other people's experiences.

Why are forums so time consuming??? Maybe I just visit too many..

ProCooling
2CPU
[H]ard|OCP
3DBuzz
CGTalk

Not to mention a few others that I occasionally visit...
Unread 06-28-2002, 07:11 PM   #32
Heavy_Equipment
Cooling Savant

At least this forum made the top of your list.
Heavy_Equipment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 01:45 AM   #33
RedTalon19
Cooling Neophyte

yeahi dont visit the [H] as often as i used to although i do stop by every now and again... OC&C is my official home and always will be. i think it just got too big for its own good... back when i joined in late 2000 it was great... but now i think the whole ideal is just lost
Unread 07-30-2002, 12:04 AM   #34
maskedgeek

yea the hardforums are pretty bad! you should have seen what happened to SilverSinkSam from ocforums, he saw that people were trading hardware for warez files and mp3s and that and he stepped in and said how he was a trollhunter for ocforums classifieds and was banned, then a whole bunch of us came over there

i personally like the overclockers.com forums a lot, they are fast pased and a lot of good stuff there with no crappage like the hard forums...
maskedgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2002, 11:47 PM   #35
Skulemate
Cooling Savant

My take on why there's less BS here is the fact that these forums are more intimidating to post on than over at a large forum like [H]. I mean, after reading through just a few threads here you realise that there are lots of people who know their stuff... and who'll correct you if you're spouting crap. To me, that's worse than being insulted by a fourteen year old.

12.1 GHz of AMD's finest (17.7 GHz total) crunching proudly for the AMDMB.com Killer Frogs
SETI BOINC: Dual Opteron 246s (Iwill DK8N) | XP2800+ (Shuttle SN41G2) | 3x XP2400+ (ASUS A7N266-vm)
SETI BOINC: 2x P4 2.8E (ASUS P4R800-vm) | Crunching 24/7
Skulemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2002, 11:51 PM   #36
Joe

You think having people on a board who know what they are doing, and will correct people if they are spouting crap is worse than just leaving people to spread mis information and crap?

I am confused by that last post.

If that is what you meant. I am happy the forums intimidate people, and keep some of the trolls out of here.

Unread 08-01-2002, 11:54 PM   #37
Sled_Dog
Cooling Savant

whats wrong with you? See on this subject I know more than you so I say SIT YOU ASS DOWN AND CLOSE YOUR HOLE....
Unread 08-01-2002, 11:56 PM   #38
Skulemate
Cooling Savant

No, that's not what I meant at all. It's because there are so many knowledgable people here, people are far less likely to try with the BS posts in the first place.

I guess I could clarify by saying that I feel it's worse to have someone point out that you're full of it when you're trying to sound smart than it is to be flamed when you're posting something relevant.

12.1 GHz of AMD's finest (17.7 GHz total) crunching proudly for the AMDMB.com Killer Frogs
SETI BOINC: Dual Opteron 246s (Iwill DK8N) | XP2800+ (Shuttle SN41G2) | 3x XP2400+ (ASUS A7N266-vm)

Last edited by Skulemate; 08-01-2002 at 11:58 PM.
Unread 08-01-2002, 11:58 PM   #39
Sled_Dog
Cooling Savant

but if you are the same person how can one thing be relevant on one forum and total inane poo on another?
Unread 08-02-2002, 12:00 AM   #40
Joe

damn sled, you are a moron some times

hehehehe

Unread 08-02-2002, 12:03 AM   #41
Skulemate
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Sled_Dog
but if you are the same person how can one thing be relevant on one forum and total inane poo on another?

I'm not saying that I have ever posted "inane poo" on this forum or any other... I'm saying that those who only have BS to post would think twice about posting here since they'll be shot down quickly. Conversly, people with great knowledge to share with others will likely choose a forum such as this to visit since it's not worth their time to get flamed every time they post something useful.

Hope that clears up my thoughts on this...

Unread 08-02-2002, 12:04 AM   #42
Sled_Dog
Cooling Savant

damn straight . I get what he is saying but at the same time no. I mean on the site where you just get flamed all you do is put your point out there and have it lost in a see of flames and hell fire. On the other one at least your idea gets out and people can criticize you. Not like flame but help you and shape your idea so it does make sense and is correct. Hmm help or hell? that response did help. one post you say umm I have no idea. then another you umm say something different. my head hurts JOE MAKE IT STOP!
Unread 08-02-2002, 12:05 AM   #43
Skulemate
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Damn... I thought of a better reply than that other one I posted: if you're a regular in the General Mayhem section of [H] of course...

Unread 08-02-2002, 12:07 AM   #44
Sled_Dog
Cooling Savant

now what does that mean? I used to be a regular there. then I got banned. 6 times.... now I am here....
Unread 08-02-2002, 12:07 AM   #45
Skulemate
Cooling Savant

But Sled... it's one thing to put forth ideas with the intent of having others work with them and make suggestions, or criticisms. That's one of the things I like best about this place. However, it's quite another entirely to make claims as if your word is cannon only to be told you're totally off base...

Oh, and that was a joke... considering the theme of the thread and all......

Unread 08-02-2002, 12:09 AM   #46
Sled_Dog
Cooling Savant

I see it as the same thing. The only way it is really different is the eyes of the person making the initial statement. In the end it gets the same criticism(sp?) and help. Just that in the second case the person has it stuck in their head they are right, thus making criticism seem like more of an attack than help.

oh I get it now... no really I do
Unread 08-02-2002, 12:11 AM   #47
Skulemate
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Just that in the second case the person has it stuck in their head they are right, thus making criticism seem like more of an attack than help.
Exactly... hence the flame wars.

Unread 08-02-2002, 11:16 AM   #48
Heavy_Equipment
Cooling Savant

Ok, in Kyle's defence, (who said that?) they are trying to clean it up over there. You flame, you're gone.

Better late then never, even though it is long overdue.

I think the reason for Joe's setup being far better:

Around here it's Pro/Forums first...Pro/Cooling second. I'd even go as far as say pro/cooling is just a "best of" when it comes to articles and how-to's.

Kyle and Steve are trying way to hard to be "the" news/tech/review site...and the forums have been half ignored for a long time. (I can't even remember the last time one of the mod's/staff threw their two cents in on a hot topic...let alone some of the out of the way threads Joe, Brad, pHaestus, or Kevin show up in)

Ok, as Joe's worklog states, Pro/Cooling is going to get some much needed attention...with new articles, reviews, writer's (04/29??), and such, but you know the forum won't get ignored.
Heavy_Equipment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2002, 12:20 AM   #49
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

I started off on the [H].. then realized there were too many morons spamming every useful post.

Went over to www.pheaton.com where I learned a LOT about case modding. Check out my "Dragont cutout/front lcd" post in the "Work logs" forum...

Then I found this board and am learning more about watercooling.

Now I just have to learn PIC programming/interfacing & my monster project from hell will be complete
Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote