Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 06-19-2003, 11:52 AM   #126
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by utabintarbo
One must question what is being asked of him/her, eh?

Yup, even if it gets your thrown out of your cult/church. If they have problems with asking questions like "why", then you shouldn't be involved with them IMO.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2003, 12:14 PM   #127
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k

... It's the basis of all forms of Mysticism, and goes back thousands of years.
Mysticism here is the problem, of course.

Quote:

It's not hard to see why it happens, and it doesn't make it correct, but it's there, it's been around for a very long time, and it's going to stick around for a while.
That's right, it doesn't make it correct. But correctness is a goal to be strived for, no?

Quote:

Personally, I believe that most leaders of people understand this very well. Further, I also believe that these leaders don't commonly share that understanding, and that a few very perceptive people are able to pick up on this, and come up with a whole bunch of wild conspiracy theories, of secret or underground societies or groups of elite people, that control the world.
I am not a conspiracy advocate. I think it is more a matter of inertia. People prefer their ignorance because it is easier than asking the hard questions. Especially of themselves!:shrug: "Leaders" tend to take advantage of this inertia, and use it to achieve their agenda. Hitler is a perfect example of this.

Bob
Unread 06-19-2003, 12:23 PM   #128
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Mysticism here is the problem, of course.

That's right, it doesn't make it correct. But correctness is a goal to be strived for, no?

I am not a conspiracy advocate. I think it is more a matter of inertia. People prefer their ignorance because it is easier than asking the hard questions. Especially of themselves!:shrug: "Leaders" tend to take advantage of this inertia, and use it to achieve their agenda. Hitler is a perfect example of this.

Bob
Well, mysticism isn't quite a "problem", but it is starting to impede on good science. Correctness is only natural, and I think that science will eventually prevail. We just need a better education system .

I'm glad we see it similarly. Leaders understand many things, but that doesn't automatically make then "good guys".
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2003, 01:31 PM   #129
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Well, mysticism isn't quite a "problem", but it is starting to impede on good science. Correctness is only natural, and I think that science will eventually prevail. We just need a better education system .
The trend (back) toward mysticism is the most serious threat to human progress now extant. When you can hold non-reality (faith) as valid as reality (science), you threaten the very nature of knowledge itself.

Quote:

I'm glad we see it similarly. Leaders understand many things, but that doesn't automatically make then "good guys".
It doesn't necessarily make them "bad guys" either. Opportunistic, perhaps..... e.g.: G. W. Bush after 9/11 for a more contemporary (and more benign) example... but that is a topic for another thread.

Bob
Unread 06-19-2003, 01:40 PM   #130
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
The trend (back) toward mysticism is the most serious threat to human progress now extant. When you can hold non-reality (faith) as valid as reality (science), you threaten the very nature of knowledge itself.
I don't know if I'd call it the most serious, but I will certainly agree that it's significant. It certainly isn't alone though!

Quote:
It doesn't necessarily make them "bad guys" either. Opportunistic, perhaps..... e.g.: G. W. Bush after 9/11 for a more contemporary (and more benign) example... but that is a topic for another thread.
LOL! Yeah, that just might be worth it!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2003, 10:31 PM   #131
Alchemy
Cooling Savant

I've picked up <i>Gödel, Escher, Bach</i> and have been reading industriously. So far, one of its central themes is the question of what it really means to *know* or *understand* something. It may give me a better bearing on this religion debate, though I doubt it will change my beliefs so much as change the way in which I look at my beliefs.

As a companion piece, I'm reading a collection of essays on Zen Buddhism.

I should probably put more effort into job hunting.

Alchemy
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2003, 10:56 PM   #132
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Alchemy
I've picked up <i>Gödel, Escher, Bach</i> and have been reading industriously...

...I should probably put more effort into job hunting.

Fantastic book. Enjoy it.

There's always time for job hunting.
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote