Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

View Poll Results: should it be legalized?
YES- i smoked it/ tried it /cant live without it 114 50.67%
YES- but i'v never tried but agree for medicinal use only 38 16.89%
NO- tried it, dont think its good for anyone 24 10.67%
NO- its is harmful and shouldn't be legalized 49 21.78%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-05-2003, 07:18 AM   #26
msv
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by lukasz70

as for it being a gateway drug, was bob marley a crack head? no, are all rastafarians crack heads? NO, and in case someone doesn't know, its part of their religion to smoke pot.
Hmmm... From a traditional point of view human sacrifice is a part of my religion, but I don´t do that, because I think it´s bad for society in general.
Same goes with drugs.
regards
Mikael S.
msv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2003, 08:45 AM   #27
Jonas
Cooling Neophyte

to that i say HAH!! pot is not equal to human sacrifice. your parallel has no bearing on anything.
Unread 06-05-2003, 10:13 AM   #28
ChrioN
Cooling Savant

THC sucks. Still I can't keep away from it...sometimes.. It happens when I'm drunk as a chicken. I smoked last week. BUT. I don't smoke much, and I don't smoke often. Without lying, I can say alcohol has done more damage to my brain then the weed has. Don't drink to much anymore though, but if I would smoked as I drinked...damn...
ChrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2003, 12:16 PM   #29
Talik
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by ataxy
i was smoking way to much before( about 1once to 2once per week) ,i was growing it way to much before(i had beetween 100 to 150 plant in my basement"my personnal little sea of green") ,but i decided to quit smoking a year and a half ago cuz it was taking to much place in my life now i am dad and i intend on teaching my kid that smoking ganga aint bad it abusing it that is bad actualy in my familly about everybody smoke tha weed except my mom some of them are lawyer some of the are woodworker etc..., but nobody ever did anything wrong ,now the goverment(canada that is) is starting to wake up to the fact that there is nothing wrong in smoking a little blunt here and there and personnaly i have seen more aggressivness from people against it then from the people for it so i guess to them i say light a big one and let the power of the herb open up your mind you will see it is therapeutic
Wow, dude, you're really not helping our argument, here. Do yourself, me, and the entire pro-pot community a favor and run your comments through a spelling and grammar checker before submitting. I don't even know where to begin with this. Excuse my ignorance, but they do have punctuation in Canada, don't they?

The problem with the sacrifice analogy is that sacrificing is a deed that is all about damaging someone else's life. Pot, on the other hand, is entirely self-deprecating. If you wake up, and decide to smoke a blunt rather than go clean up last night's puke from the bathroom wall, then that's a bad choice, but it's your bad choice to make. I also, however, think that the Bob Marley explanation is a bad one. I've never been one to believe that religious belief justifies a wrong. If you believe that, then the crusades were a completely justifiable slaughter.
Unread 06-05-2003, 01:50 PM   #30
lukasz70
Cooling Savant

Quote:
think that the Bob Marley explanation is a bad one. I've never been one to believe that religious belief justifies a wrong. If you believe that, then the crusades were a completely justifiable slaughter.
ITS NOT WRONG you ignorant person sorry, just gets to me some times

do some research before. thats like saying drinking is wrong, sure only IF YOU ABUSE IT.

everyone is so caught up on the idea of smoking pot, if everyone can just look past that and look at the benefits that it has for medicinal and commercial purposes, cannabis can be turned into so much, clothes, paper, oils, plastics...
Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 7200rpm ata133 & 60 MAXTOR ata100@5400rpm
6xdvd, TDK dvd+RW
SoundBlaster 5.1 w/ logitech Xtrusio DSR100 speakers
Case: Enlight 7237
lukasz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2003, 02:22 PM   #31
Talik
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
ITS NOT WRONG you ignorant person sorry, just gets to me some times

do some research before. thats like saying drinking is wrong, sure only IF YOU ABUSE IT.

everyone is so caught up on the idea of smoking pot, if everyone can just look past that and look at the benefits that it has for medicinal and commercial purposes, cannabis can be turned into so much, clothes, paper, oils, plastics...
Arrr... did you even read my previous posts!? I've been very adamant about my arguments that pot is not wrong!

I was merely saying that even if it were wrong, religious belief would not justify it, nor does it prove that it is not wrong.

There are a lot of people who believe that pot is evil, and I believe giving them weak arguments as to why it is not(ie, religious belief) actually hurts our cause. Not helps it.

The best way to get someone to follow your cause, is not to throw out as many arguments as you can no matter how weak they are, but to convince them of your own competence. Once someone believes in your ability to reason and make moral decisions, they are much more likely to take your arguments seriously. Would you rather listen to Einstein's pot arguments, or Hitler's? The answer has nothing to do with who can construct a better argument, who has more points, or even who is right, but everything to do with who already has your faith in their ability to make a moral decision.

This is why I get so frustrated when I see someone arguing toward the same goal as me with a poorly constructed paragraph with no capitalization, punctuation, proper spelling, and poor reasoning. It actually hurts my argument.

Please, before you tell me to do some more research, read my lengthy post on the previous page. Or, at least give me some clue as to what I should be researching, and I will gladly do my homework.
Unread 06-05-2003, 02:34 PM   #32
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/NIDA_Notes/.../Evidence.html

Usually, a substance is controlled when it is addictive, because economically, it gives the maker an advantage, when selling it. Of course marijuana isn't "manufactured", it's usually home grown.

Will search some more...
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2003, 02:42 PM   #33
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

In all fairness, I thought I'd post this link:

http://www.mcleanhospital.org/Public...anaeffects.htm

Then there's this one:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/addict...es/30238a.html
(Whoever mentionned it must be right!)
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2003, 02:50 PM   #34
msv
Cooling Savant

OK, to clarify my sacrifice parallell: Being a religious custom does not justify certain habits.
Rastafari smoking pot for religiuos reasons most definetely don´t justify non-rastafaris to smoke pot. If anyone feels like smoke pot for any reason, don´t blame the rastafaris.
Sacrificing *may take the expression* of damaging other individuals (wich is not acceptable), but *the meaning* is to please the diety one worships, nothing else. Thankfully sacrifice has developed into less offensive customs, giving money to the church, etc. Still it´s basically the same thing: You give up something of value to You (a slave, some money) to please Your diety (oooh, am I gonna have my ass kicked for this...).
regards
Mikael S.
msv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2003, 02:57 PM   #35
lukasz70
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Talik
Arrr... did you even read my previous posts!? I've been very adamant about my arguments that pot is not wrong!

I was merely saying that even if it were wrong, religious belief would not justify it, nor does it prove that it is not wrong.

There are a lot of people who believe that pot is evil, and I believe giving them weak arguments as to why it is not(ie, religious belief) actually hurts our cause. Not helps it.

The best way to get someone to follow your cause, is not to throw out as many arguments as you can no matter how weak they are, but to convince them of your own competence. Once someone believes in your ability to reason and make moral decisions, they are much more likely to take your arguments seriously. Would you rather listen to Einstein's pot arguments, or Hitler's? The answer has nothing to do with who can construct a better argument, who has more points, or even who is right, but everything to do with who already has your faith in their ability to make a moral decision.

This is why I get so frustrated when I see someone arguing toward the same goal as me with a poorly constructed paragraph with no capitalization, punctuation, proper spelling, and poor reasoning. It actually hurts my argument.

Please, before you tell me to do some more research, read my lengthy post on the previous page. Or, at least give me some clue as to what I should be researching, and I will gladly do my homework.
talki, I didn't mean to direct that comment at you, should have wrote people instead of person, the comment was towards those that think its wrong, and i directed my comment towards the quote, not your thoughts, sorry.
Its just that I always run into people that say its wrong, and when you ask them why, they'll just say "oh cause it is"

As for my punctuation, oops, didn't know this was English class all over. I’ll try better next time

Quote:
Usually, a substance is controlled when it is addictive, because economically, it gives the maker an advantage, when selling it. Of course marijuana isn't "manufactured", it's usually home grown.
that brings up another argument

when marijuana was legal in the states up until prohabition, i read that the reason the government didn't legalize marijuana with alcohol later on is because they would loose money on it (tax revenue), and it makes sense, why go out and spend like $50 on drinks, when you can grow it yourself, smoke it and get just as buzzed.
6xdvd, TDK dvd+RW
Unread 06-05-2003, 04:14 PM   #36
Talik
Cooling Neophyte

bb2k, Interesting links. That seems pretty conclusive that pot is addicting. The question that comes to mind, however, is weather this shows that marijuana is physically addicting, or psychologically. People can get psychologically addicted to just about anything.

The other thing I saw in there that interests me is:
Quote:
The withdrawal symptoms are not as dramatic as those associated with withdrawal from opiates or alcohol, but are still significant to the individual marijuana user
That seems to pretty clearly state that marijuana is less addicting than it's legal counterpart, alcohol. So, doesn't that give bar owners an advantage when selling their drinks?

Quote:
Originally posted by msv
Sacrificing *may take the expression* of damaging other individuals (wich is not acceptable), but *the meaning* is to please the diety one worships, nothing else. Thankfully sacrifice has developed into less offensive customs, giving money to the church, etc. Still it´s basically the same thing: You give up something of value to You (a slave, some money) to please Your diety
Yes, thanks for clarifying, but the difference still remains that in an offering(and pot for that matter), you give up something of value to you, and in sacrificing, you are giving up something of value to someone else(not arguing with you, just restating for double clarification). I have no problems with people who want to throw their own money away, weather for religion, or not.

So, the situation about *the meaning* is an interesting one. We all make decisions in our lives based on the information we have available to us. If everything I know tells me that I need to appease my maker, then by gosh, I'm gonna go out, find a virgin, double check her hymen, and sacrifice her. My meaning was to appease my god, the ultimate right, but my action was to take a life, the ultimate wrong. Does that mean that I was wrong? Yes. But I made the decision as best I could with the knowledge I had. A couple hundred years later, human knowledge base has increased, and we see how ridiculous it is to take the life of someone else in the name of your god, we even go so far as to look down upon those who did it. But without our little bit of extra understanding of the universe, we would be running around, doing the same things. I often wonder what it is that we do, that in two hundred years will be looked upon as barbaric.

Quote:
As for my punctuation, oops, didn't know this was English class all over. I’ll try better next time
Sorry, didn't mean to lecture. My comment was actually more directed at ataxy, than you. I, too, get frustrated at people who follow their beliefs without questioning it or knowing the reason why. And I get even more frustrated with people who believe the same thing as me, but for the wrong reason. Or justify it with half truths.(not referring to anyone in particular)
Unread 06-05-2003, 11:56 PM   #37
joemac
Cooling Savant

My theory on why it is seen has a gateway drug by many. The people you get it from are usually pushing Crack, coke etc so they encourage users to try something harder truly more addictive (end theory).
Hell but can you imagine if weed was sold and distributed by P.Morris it would probably be 10 X more additive than crack. Anyway one reason it is illegal is in part to cotton growers from days gone by (Do not remember the years sorry) well I heard many different reason in a college class that I do not want to bring up now – try google many answers there - .

The touch, the feel, The fabric of your life. (ß cotton not hemp)

hey JOE can we get a smilie smoking a blunt ?
joemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2003, 06:48 AM   #38
ChrioN
Cooling Savant

Alcohol is the mother of all gatewaydrugs
ChrioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 03:05 PM   #39
Cova
Cooling Savant

Found a cool techno 'net radio station, and surfing around their forums a bit while I was bored I found this link...

http://www.dancesafe.org/documents/druginfo/risk.php

Kinda makes ya think about some of the stuff you do and how dangerous it really is. As far as it relates to this discussion... weed has a 1 in 10-million chance of killing you, while alcohol falls into the 1 in 1000 category, and tobacco in the 1 in 100 category. Also interesting (from my point of view at least) - the most dangerous drug I've ever tried according to this chart falls into the 1 in 10000 category (not counting alcohol, which I don't believe causes 1 in 1000 to die unless you drive right after or some such) is far safer than say motorbike racing, which I'm leaving tomorrow morning to do for the weekend.
Cova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 09:28 PM   #40
lukasz70
Cooling Savant

cool chart thx for the link

Leisure Activity: Russian Roulette*
Approximate. numerical: 1:10

lol this is a funny one though since when is that a leisure activity? and a 1:10 chance, i didn't know revolvers hold 10 bullets

well its only funny if you dont read what the * means
6xdvd, TDK dvd+RW
Unread 06-28-2003, 01:13 AM   #41
alphaflux
Cooling Neophyte

yes i would have to agree with cybersamurai, i hate when the statisticians of america make something out to be so dangerous that no one in the world should ever do it for fear of being a crack head, or a heroin addict, or an alcoholic, or that you will die in car accidents if you smoke marijuana. you see these commercials which say that 1/3rd of all accidents are marijuana involved ( we have all seen them don't lie to yourself, i know you have) , how do they know? marijuana can stay in your system for 30 to 90 days? so if you smoked 3 months ago and got in an accident statisticly they could say u had marijuana in your system, this is a false statistic, it makes the world seems like marijuana cuase a 3rd of all accidents which obviously isn't true, im not condoneing smokeing and driving but statistics can be twisited to favor whoever is trying to prove a point, sometimes they can be exagerated, and thus you can't jump to conclusions like smoking marijuana forces you to smoke crack later in life, i dont' believe that
alphaflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 05:59 PM   #42
Pyrotechnic
Cooling Savant

The reason marijuana isn't legal is the fact that it is not profitable to the goverment to have it legal.

Think about it. Alcohol is produced by large corporations for the most part, same with tobacco. The government can easily place taxes on alcohol and tobacco. Tabacco is hard to get it into useable form from the plant, and Alcohol isn't easy to make either.

With weed, a monkey could grow it, the production isn't, and will never be controlled by large corporations. Sales are on the street and there is no way the government can tax it, so it is illegal.

Notice the same trend with moonshine, correct me if i'm wrong, but the laws are you can only produce a gallon a day for PERSONAL CONSUMPTION.

It's pretty obvious the the argument on the side of the government isn't health because weed is bad, it's money, because they cant profit from it.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 09:22 PM   #43
bikr
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by pHaestus
I don't believe morality should be legislated so I am all for legalization. Having said that, there are a lot of positions that I wouldn't want a big time pothead doing for me (doctor, defense lawyer, chauffer, etc). Same goes for alcoholics though. I don't personally smoke though; I am lazy enough without it.
Haven't read this whole thread yet so forgive me if this has been said , but , take a step back and i'm sure you'll find that most of your doctors , defence lawyers etc.. all smoke it already. Alot of doctors are telling patients it's ok to do it in moderation etc.. So therefore , one can assume that they partake in this as well --Josh
Unread 06-30-2003, 08:00 AM   #44
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by bikr
Haven't read this whole thread yet so forgive me if this has been said , but , take a step back and i'm sure you'll find that most of your doctors , defence lawyers etc.. all smoke it already. Alot of doctors are telling patients it's ok to do it in moderation etc.. So therefore , one can assume that they partake in this as well --Josh
That's quite an assumption!

While I am sure there are some that do so, I think it is a bit of an overstatement that most do it. By that logic, there would already be a majority for legalization, yet they are little heard from....:shrug:

Bob
Unread 07-05-2003, 07:20 AM   #45
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Quote:
(not counting alcohol, which I don't believe causes 1 in 1000 to die unless you drive right after or some such)
Alcohol is the second biggest killer there is! (next to tobacco). The physical harm it can cause to your internal organs(liver failure, ect) is what kills you, more so than drink driving accidents, it can cause permanent brain damage as well (which even heroin does'nt). Alcohol withdrawal can kill as well, no one ever died of heroin withdrawal yet it's considered more dangerous, as if no-one dies from alcohol overdose eh?. Not to mention the harm done to familys and relationships through alcohol abuse...

People have realy fugged up priorities IMO, all this BS about hashish when the real killers are not only legal, they're socially bloody acceptable!!...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 06:20 AM   #46
Boli
Cooling Savant

Out of all the drugs only Alcohol and "leaf" have any benificial effects whehn used in moderation, in small amounts (Excluding morphine b/c it is waaay too adictive).

That's worth thinking about.
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2003, 03:22 AM   #47
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Alcohols ONLY redeming 'benificial effect' as a medicine is it can be used as an antisceptic. Tell me what benificial effects you were thinking of?...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2003, 07:32 AM   #48
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Beer = stress relief in that same way... Steak = stress relief or Boobies = stress relief

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2003, 10:24 AM   #49
Boli
Cooling Savant

Alcohol spefically red wine has proven to help with the heart. people who drink 2 galsses of wine 1/2 bottle a day are healthier than those who do not.
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #50
Cova
Cooling Savant

Actually some of the ingredients in beer have also been proven to have good anti-oxidants in them, which help prevent heart-attacks as you get older. So I guess if you drink a lot of beer you can sacrifice your liver for your heart.
Cova is offline   Reply With Quote