Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 04-21-2003, 04:25 PM   #1
resago
Cooling Savant

Default "Idiots guide to Life"

Someone should write an Idiot's Guide to Life book and it should be required reading at all levels of education.

it would outline how to be a good kid: "don't lie,cheat,steal"

it would tell you how not to get a police record as a teeneager

and then it would tell you what to expect out of marriage, how to keep it going and how to face the moment when you realize your mortality.

I see people making the same damn mistakes that the human race has been making since the dawn of time. It sure would be handy to have one of those little yellow books to reference.

of course, some people would say that there is already a book like that, but its a bit wordy

don't know why I posted this, my mind must be wondering, must catch it.

still running 2000!!!!

Help with Coding
www.resago.com
resago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2003, 04:32 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

It's called the Bible. Lengthy, but you can't learn everything overnight anyways.

There's also a pocket version
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2003, 04:39 PM   #3
hara
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
It's called the Bible. Lengthy, but you can't learn everything overnight anyways.

There's also a pocket version
That's exactly what I wanted to say.

"don't lie,cheat,steal" are some of the commandments
- FMZ
hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2003, 04:54 PM   #4
resago
Cooling Savant

I know.

'of course, some people would say that there is already a book like that, but its a bit wordy '

but ever try to get a kid to read it in its entirety?

also, it doesn't go over well in public schools. There's also the freedom of religion thing. but yes, the bible is a good guide for life.

also, some people have an aversion to any religion, but would accept some common sense advice.

still running 2000!!!!

Help with Coding
www.resago.com

Last edited by resago; 04-21-2003 at 05:00 PM.
Unread 04-21-2003, 05:05 PM   #5
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

It's all there.

The Bible is available in many versions, some of which are written specifically for kids!

Of course if you prefer the King James version, that's up to you!
Unread 04-21-2003, 05:13 PM   #6
resago
Cooling Savant

yes yes, I know.

but for the reasons I mentioned, a cliff notes version without reference to any deites would be general enough to not offend anyone.
Some people get turned off when you start talking commandments and teachings, but the same people would use a general refence book for life.

also, unless you're reading the aramaic version of the bible, you're reading greek transaltions that were later translated to english and also were edited in medeval times to reduce the roll of women in society.

still running 2000!!!!

Help with Coding
www.resago.com
Unread 04-21-2003, 05:16 PM   #7
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Location: 4-sided room with an exit going east, and an exit going south

I prefer common sense over a book. Unfortunately, the book in question is in far greater supply than what I use...
JSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2003, 06:51 PM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I also have a liking for plain english, non-figurative explanations, but don't we all?

There are many debates that we face, where we end up choosing the lesser of two evils: I don't remember this being covered in The Book:shrug: . Our society continues to evolve, and we face many, many new challenges.

Personally, what works for me is a "code of knights": it's both catholic based (as I was raised), and straightforward: duty, honor, justice, and honesty (but I'm an independant type ).
Unread 04-25-2003, 11:15 AM   #9
cristoff
Cooling Savant

The bible, although many years old, still holds the best wisdom that can be had. It helps us through every day life to make the wisest decisions. We can use it as a guide knowing full well that god inspired writers to write what is in there for our benefit, as the bible explains.

1 Tim 3:15,16 "all scripture is inspired, beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. So every man may be fully competent, completely equiped for every good work."

(I did that from memory, so dont yell at me if I got some words wrong, please)

So just remember, it is an idiots guide to life.
Unread 04-25-2003, 12:51 PM   #10
Alchemy
Cooling Savant

Perhaps this isn't welcome, but . . .

Is there something particularly wrong with the Torah, the Qur'an, the Hindu Sutras, the Buddhist Sutras, the Tao Te Ching, etc.?

To pick a single religious text as more worthy or more valuable than any other seems to be an act of either ignorance or arrogance.

Alchemy
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2003, 01:26 PM   #11
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alchemy
Perhaps this isn't welcome, but . . .

Is there something particularly wrong with the Torah, the Qur'an, the Hindu Sutras, the Buddhist Sutras, the Tao Te Ching, etc.?
Absolutely nothing wrong! It's about time someone brought it up!
Unread 04-25-2003, 03:06 PM   #12
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

One should not need a book for such a thing. And the one's who have the troubles would most likely not read a book about it and if they didn't wouldn't take any of the advice in it.

Anyone ever hear of parents? Are they not supposed to be the guide to everything in the original posters post?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2003, 03:15 PM   #13
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
Anyone ever hear of parents? Are they not supposed to be the guide to everything in the original posters post?
Well, that's not a given for everyone besides, even parents need some more wisdom.
Unread 04-25-2003, 03:32 PM   #14
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
Well, that's not a given for everyone besides, even parents need some more wisdom.
Yeah it's called life experience, morals, and common sence. If one doesn't have good morals or common sence then no book is going to help their cause. I am not religious and never got anything out of the bible myself. Just words written down on paper. You must have the needed elements in your "soul" to make those words into a usefull tool. But if you have those elements you do not need a book to guide you through life.

Seems more and more people grow up without those elements. ANd no book is going to assist them in gaining those elements as those elements are gained before you can even read.

My daughter is 6 years old and she already has the good elements. She knows right from wrong. She knows when she did something bad or good. She is polite and very well behaved and always has been. Never cries and whines because she doesn't get what she wants. You could always take her to a store or anywhere and not worry about fits and tantrums. She never been to church, she never read the bible, and no religion has been forced upon her and she is doing very well.

If one needs a book to guide them through life, then one has not lived.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2003, 03:45 PM   #15
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

If you can get your kids there without a book, all the best to you!

I was raised catholic, but how I make decisions is still based on how I observed my parents, when I was young.

When I was a teenager, I had a few questions that I needed an answer to, or more specifically, determine my position, such as "abortion, good or bad?". I used my common sense, which didn't include asking my parents, even though I could have.

I think that a lot of the behavior is indeed learned from parents, but not all parents are wisest of all, and let me tell you, it's quite an experience to go through the realization that you're at the point where you're about to (or already have) pass them.

I'm observing this between my stepdaughter (age 15) and my wife, and they get into colorful arguments. My wife comes from a broken home, with an abusing father. I don't think she realizes the extent of what she missed, coming from that environment.

Life is life, from each one of our perspectives.

Nobody is perfect, and life is a continous effort to improve oneself. That's the way I see it.:shrug: