Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-15-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
TbirdX
Cooling Neophyte

Default This a good match??

Aqua 50 Z pump
Bix pro 3
Swiffy 6002
Maze 4 Gpu (or silverprop if I can source one in UK)
Swiffy poly Bay Res

So are they a good match up or did I go horribly wrong somewhere?? Cheers
TbirdX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Sounds like a good setup to me...

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
JWFokker
Cooling Savant

Well, I'd save money by not getting a reservoir. It'll improve flow too. But I also wouldn't spend that much on a radiator.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2005, 06:52 PM   #4
Butcher
Thermophile

Typically a res will improve flow actually, if positioned correctly in the loop, by reducing the net positive suction head of the system.
Unread 02-15-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
Metzen
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher
Typically a res will improve flow actually, if positioned correctly in the loop, by reducing the net positive suction head of the system.
Can you elaborate more on this?
Metzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

True Butcher, but the first thing most users do is stick 1/2" barbs on pump inlet and run a fair bit of 1/2" tubing to the res. I suppose you meant this with "positioned correctly".

Q: Why don't reservoirs come with a 16mm barb to match the eheim 1250 inlet?
A: Because not everyone uses eheim pumps
Q: Why don't all pumps have bigger inlets?
A: Because all fittings, such as reservoirs, are 1/2"

Egg, chicken, egg, chicken (repeat)

PS: Yes, I know about 3/8" stuff, I was making a point.
PPS: I trust we've all seen that 350 inlet mod and its impact?
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks factory where smoking on the job is permitted." (Prof. Gene Spafford)
My Rig, in all its glory, can be seen best here
AMD XP1600 @ 1530 Mhz | Soyo Dragon + | 256 Mb PC2700 DDRAM | 2 x 40 Gb 7200rpm in Raid-0 | Maze 2, eheim 1250, dual heater cores! | Full specifications (PCDB)

Long Haired Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 03:36 AM   #7
TbirdX
Cooling Neophyte

Well the other (cheaper) option is an MCP350/Laing DDC and mod it
TbirdX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2005, 06:17 AM   #8
Butcher
Thermophile

By positioned correctly I mean directly mounting the pump to the rad, or using a short, wide-bore connection. Not routing 5 feet of 3/8" ID tube round the case to connect it as people are wont to.

Metzen - net positive suction head is basically the amount of pressure on the suction side of the pump. If this is too high it can affect the performance of the pump (particularly with the aquarium pumps we use) and cause caviatation. Adding a res reduces pressure as it's a lot easier to pull water from a big open tank than down a thin pipe.
Unread 02-17-2005, 07:10 AM   #9
Nickd
Cooling Neophyte

Cavitation is where the pressure in a fluid falls to vapour pressure, therby instantaneously turning the liquid into its vapour form and forming bubbles. Typically the noise you hear isn't the bubbles forming, its when the pressure comes back to VP and these same bubbles collapse in on themselves with a bang. If you get bubbles forming near the leading edge of a lifting surface then the liquid does not flow over the aerofoil as it is supposed too, it just makes streams of bubbles in the liquid and makes minimal lift. Aerofoil doesn't work and so the propellor doesn't work. Often occurs with outboard motors when the leading edges of the propellor gets damaged, by dings, gouges, dents etc.
Same theory will apply to impellers in a centrifugal pump. Too much restriction on the inlet side, as Butcher said, and the pressure at the inlet side of the impeller drops as the pump is having to 'suck' liquid in.
Having a res on the inlet of the pump reduces as much as possible the restriction on the inlet, but may slightly increase total loop restriction depending on its design.

Not sure about Net Postive Suction Head. Thought it was a good thing, as my understanding of it was that the Suction pressure was Net Positive, ie above VP, so reducing the likelyhood of cavitation occurring. Thought zero positive suction head was where bubbles start forming and as pressure on the inlet side falls below NPSH you get more and more bubbles forming.
Nickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2005, 08:29 AM   #10
Butcher
Thermophile

Sorry, my statements are rather unclear and misleading.
It should read - a res will increase the NPSHA which will mean the pump is working less hard (and that's a big deal for centrifugal pumps which don't deliver much pressure to sart with) and reduce the chances of cavitation.
In laymans terms - it's easier to suck water from a res than down a tube.