Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 11-13-2002, 09:13 AM   #126
murray13
Cooling Savant

I'm not that fond of pondmaster. At least not for inline use. Had one running for about a year inline and it almost self destructed. Started getting loud and flow started to drop, so I had to find a replacement, but before I did I found a puddle of water. It started to leak. I guess putting ~100W of power encased in plastic really isn't the best idea. And at ~100W I wouldn't even think of using it submerged. (more heat from the pump than the processor your trying to cool)

Just my personal exp.

Back to topic:

Blackeagle said:
Quote:
The thing I find wondering the most is which of the CPU blocks I intend to order will be better in this system.
Well I think Cathar's block, and here's why. If you are going to have a pump with LOTS of pressure available for use, MD-30RZ for example, Cathar's block is crying for lots of pressure to force high flow. And that's my $.02 worth...
murray13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2002, 10:45 AM   #127
Alchemy
Cooling Savant

I'm currently looking at the Danner Mag Drive #3 for my next project. The pump is going to be about 3 feet below the highest point in the loop, and I figure the #3 will give me plenty of flow & pressure to work with. The leaky plate is a bit annoying, but apparently an easy fix.

Can anyone tell me how loud that pump is, even under heavy load? I'm sure it can't possibly be worse than a Rio, but I'd like to get some evidence before I start flinging more money around.

Thanks.

Alchemy
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2002, 08:38 PM   #128
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Airspirit said,

Quote:
"110 watt, mag-drive (to strong of a field for self containment I think........external mount it, or wipe your drives)."
Now I hate to ask this next question, but here it is. Would the above apply to a MD-30RZT Iwaki as well? 1 amp of draw for this pump.

I want to have a fully contained system. And if this is not a internally mountable pump then I'm back to jump street on balancing pump, rad ect. But far better to find out now. I looked on the site where I'd gained many other facts about the I waki pumps, but found no info on if the pump is shielded in any way.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 04:03 AM   #129
MadDogMe
Thermophile

I've never heard of anyone having any problems at all with pump EMR. and most people mount 1250's directly under the HD cage...

I'd like to know what the Iwaki 20RZT puts out in WATTs if anyone knows?. I don't know how to convert from amps :shrug: ...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 04:11 AM   #130
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

I think you multiply voltage and amperage to get wattage...

P=V*I [Watt]
Unread 11-15-2002, 09:32 AM   #131
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Interesting, the MD20RZT is stated at 20watts motor output, less than an Eheim1250!. the 30RZT is rated at 47Watt. not as bad as first speculated ...

From this page

Plus there is a Iwaki UK Website ...

Edit, the link only takes you to the homepage, must be a javascript or some other wierd and wonderful thing :shrug: ...

Last edited by MadDogMe; 11-15-2002 at 03:18 PM.
Unread 11-15-2002, 10:55 AM   #132
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Be warned, some pumps do not correctly advertise their pump W use. Some only list the average W value in heat transferred to the fluid, not overall or peak use. Multiply the voltage (115/120) by the Amps used to get a real figure. Some don't add all the heat to the water, but under different uses will add more or less.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 03:26 PM   #133
MadDogMe
Thermophile

It was stated as 'Motor Output' whatever that is, as 1/38 HP, or 20Watts . Amps were stated as 0.53 (x110= 58.3watts?, 240V x 0.53=127Watts?!!!). are the amps the same regardless of voltage used?...

Why would they state Motor Output in HP and Watts as 20 then give you the means(Amps) to come to a totaly different conclusion?. HorsePower can't be confused with heat can it?...
Unread 12-03-2002, 04:36 PM   #134
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Some of them only list the average power use of the impeller assembly itself, while ignoring the high power fan on the back. Others only advertise what they measured to be put into the water. What you want is V*I (peak), which is what will be pulled from your wall socket. The rest is just guesswork by the manufacturer, and is rarely ever correct.

If you want power, try a Gen-X Mak 4 pump. I watched one (damaged impeller and all) collapse a two foot length of braided 1" ID hose last night (1/8" wall). That thing pumps like a sonuvabitch.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2002, 08:05 PM   #135
crane
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Alchemy
I'm currently looking at the Danner Mag Drive #3 for my next project. The pump is going to be about 3 feet below the highest point in the loop, and I figure the #3 will give me plenty of flow & pressure to work with. The leaky plate is a bit annoying, but apparently an easy fix.

Can anyone tell me how loud that pump is, even under heavy load? I'm sure it can't possibly be worse than a Rio, but I'd like to get some evidence before I start flinging more money around.

Thanks.

Alchemy
The Danner Supreme MagDrives are quiet as long as you are bled of all air in your system.
As far as the cover leaking... I just had 2 of the lugs behind the cover assembly break off on a a MagDrive. These plastic "lugs" are what the cover is screwed on to.

Permatex to the rescue along with his good buddy, JBWeld....may fix it.
Unread 12-03-2002, 09:37 PM   #136
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMe
Amps were stated as 0.53 (x110= 58.3watts?, 240V x 0.53=127Watts?!!!). are the amps the same regardless of voltage used?...
P = V * I

This equation is only correct for DC power.

For pure sinusoidal voltage and current AC waveforms the equation is:

P = V * I * cosine(phase)

Motors tend to be highly inductive loads. Because of this, there is a large phase angle between the voltage applied to the pump, and the current flowing through it. Knowing the phase angle is necessary to calculating the power consumption.

There is more on pump power consumption here.

The following picture shows simultaneous measurements of Volts, Amps, and Watts (as well as VA which is Volts * Amps) for a Danner Mag 5 pump with very low restriction. The pump's power consumption is spec'd at 45 Watts Max.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unrestricted.jpg (15.5 KB, 180 views)
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2003, 05:49 PM   #137
grimjaw
Cooling Neophyte

I found a possible cheaper pump that is as good as the Iwaki. Blueline HD and the Blueline NS pumps look great. This is from their web site:

"These pumps are designed and built by a former chief engineer from Iwaki-Japan. They feature the same flow curves, high head pressure, low noise, and reliability that have made Iwaki the best magnetic drive pumps available. The BlueLine HD pumps are even slightly quieter than Iwaki, with a lower frequency. These units are yellow rather than green and carry a full 1 Year parts and labor guarantee. All seal-free bearings and magnetic drive for 10+ years of useable life. No seals to leak!"

The Blueline HD 40 is rated as 790/gph and 21ft max head. Best of all it only cost $160us.

The Blueline NS BL 800 is rated as 875/gph and 15ft max head. Its even cheaper at $135us.
grimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2003, 05:49 PM   #138
grimjaw
Cooling Neophyte

Ooopps! Double post

Last edited by grimjaw; 07-12-2003 at 05:58 PM.
grimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2003, 02:34 AM   #139
JokerCPoC
Cooling Savant

Well I'm quite fortunate in that the Pump that I bought is a ViaAqua 480 (200Gph) and the Water Block I've bought is (see sig), But I still have almost $180.00 worth of stuff to get, Right now It looks like It's going to take a while to get that stuff, Heck I owe the bank $69.00 for the Case I won on ebay, My brother said He'd pay on any amount above what I had (about $33.25 then), So I'm stuck. Oh well I have time, I'll have to get an auction up on ebay for some BG Comics (In separate bags too) to pay the case off. It may take a day or so to do that, depending on whatever else I have to do (chores) around the house here where I live.
Joker3: 1-270 @ 2.40(2nd-270 cpu soon)GHz cpu[Ntune], K8N-DL v1.03(1007 Bios)
Joker4: 2-285 @ 3.25? GHz cpu[Ntune], (soon) K8N-DL v1.03(1007 Bios)
Joker5: 2-285 @ 3.25? GHz cpu[Ntune], (soon) K8N-DL v1.03(1007 Bios)
(10.10GHz now, 25.43GHz maybe? Crunchin 4 SetiBoinc for the PC Perspective Killer Frogs)
JokerCPoC is offline   Reply With Quote