Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-25-2002, 12:04 AM   #151
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

i got some new development!!!!

well i didnt get to testing the dangerden scraps... BUT i did let the test that i already had going just do their thing... and here is what happened:

The redline is still doing just fine, and the coating process of the aluminum has not increased.... it pretty much stopped after a few days just as the purple ice did.

The purple ice was doing quite well untill recently. there is now a whiteish haze sittin on the bottom of the cup, and ontop of the metals... along with a slight coating to the cup. the half concentration has more of it than the full concentration.

the distilled water is doing just as well as the RedLine.

and the cup of tap water i added to the test (about 4 days into the test) has been coroding ALOT.

sooooo.... i THINK i have an answer to the redline vs purple ice question... but now what about the redline half and full strength.... guess we will have to wait and see.

it is pretty amazing that the distilled has not showed any signs of corrosion yet!!! i would imagine that in a computer, the heat would increase the chance of bacteria growing, which would add to the electrolicity (is that a word) of the water. So, i would still recommend redline over just distilled.

i will be taking pictures, but maybe a little later since i want to give some time for this stuff to build up so you can see it.
DigitalChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2002, 12:10 AM   #152
Pyrotechnic
Cooling Savant

i've had this antifreeze and distilled water mix with a piece of aluminum and copper submerged in it for like a month or something. It's been sitting in my garage all this time and i just rembered it, no corrosion yet. There was like 10 dead crickets in it so i guess they liked it Anyways i guess antifreeze does protect against corrosion pretty well, the aluminum didn't have any weird coating on it either.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 02-25-2002 at 12:14 AM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2002, 01:06 AM   #153
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

aluminum by ITSELF will NOT corrode... the black film is a protective coating caused by redline or purple ice (basically anodizing)... if you wanna test that for corrosion you would need another metal.. preferably copper
Unread 02-25-2002, 03:35 AM   #154
iceheart
Cooling Savant

My water is a bit hazy, but the metals are still like day one.
iceheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2002, 09:17 AM   #155
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

i get that haze too, but the funny thing is it happens in ALL of my systems (redline, purple ice, or straight distilled) after a few weeks. but with all the test cups i havent seen any haze except for the purple ice after a much longer time.
Unread 02-25-2002, 10:00 AM   #156
EMC2
Cooling Savant

Quote:
increase the chance of bacteria growing
If bacterial growth is the only concern, then just add anti-biotic to the water (fish supply store, less than $5, treats 30-50 gallons). It has the added advantage of almost zero alteration of the physical properties of the water.
EMC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2002, 10:46 AM   #157
iceheart
Cooling Savant

It also has the property of encouraging bacteria that's good for the fish to have, so I wouldn't use that.
iceheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2002, 11:03 AM   #158
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

good point... plus fish stuff medication is just bad to think about having in your computer...

i would just get some alcohol and dump it in, or some other type of universal killing agent. H2O2 doesnt work too well btw =)
Unread 02-25-2002, 11:21 AM   #159
gmat
Thermophile

Because SOMETHING can live in Redline ???? Last time i opened the flask of this redish stuff, i thought my lungs were leaving me
This thing stinks. The good side is, you know when you've got a leak - only by smell.
For me this is already a good killing agent.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2002, 12:41 PM   #160
EMC2
Cooling Savant

Quote:
It also has the property of encouraging bacteria that's good for the fish to have, so I wouldn't use that.
Ummm, no it doesn't It will kill off the beneficial bacteria in an aquarium. That's why you setup a 10 gallon "hospital tank" for dosing fish with it, so you don't kill off your nitrogen cycle bacterial beds in your main aquarium. Most of it comes with quite explicit instructions regarding this issue.

Digital - won't hurt your blocks or tubing. (try it in one of your metal test cups if you wish)
Unread 02-25-2002, 12:47 PM   #161
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

well if the stuff was as effective as i want... it would kill the fish =)
Unread 02-25-2002, 12:54 PM   #162
EMC2
Cooling Savant

Gmat - the comment was related to how to use pure distilled water without getting bacterial growth Redline WW, alcohol, and others lower the 4 of the physical properties of the fluid, altering the cooling abilities of the system (the properties altered are density, viscosity, specific heat, and thermal diffusivity). Admittedly the amount varies with the ratio and can be quite small, but if you are looking for every last little bit...
Unread 02-25-2002, 12:58 PM   #163
EMC2
Cooling Savant

Quote:
well if the stuff was as effective as i want... it would kill the fish =)
LOL Do anti-biotics kill humans/animals/etc when used to treat infections? Are you trying to eliminate bacterial growth or kill off people that crawl inside your res?

Bottom line, just an alternative, as always the choice is up to the individual
Unread 02-26-2002, 12:59 AM   #164
Pyrotechnic
Cooling Savant

BTW bleach seemed like a good idea, but imediately after that thought i rembered it is a corrosive, so dont use bleach. Alcohol works fine.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2002, 02:38 AM   #165
iceheart
Cooling Savant

Oh yeah, I was thinking about the "other stuff" you use... Never mind.
Unread 02-26-2002, 06:26 PM   #166
Mr Evil
Cooling Neophyte

This is a quote from Red Line's website:

Quote:
The only property which enables aluminum to be used in a cooling system is that it will form protective films under the proper conditions which will prevent the uncontrolled corrosive attack of acids or bases. Poor aluminum corrosion inhibition will cause the dissolution of aluminum at the heat rejection surfaces, weakening the cooling system walls and water pump casing and weakening the head gasket mating surfaces. These corrosion products will then form deposits on the lower temperature surfaces such as in radiator tubes which have very poor heat transfer properties, causing a significant reduction in the cooling ability of the entire system. Red Line WaterWetter® will provide the proper corrosion inhibition for all cooling system metals, including aluminum, cast iron, steel, copper, brass, and lead.
The black deposits on the aluminium could be aluminium oxide, which is normally white, but perhaps the water wetter turns it black. Aluminium oxide is what normally forms on the surface of aluminium (the 'protective film' in the above quote) and it is very unreactive, preventing corrosion of the metal underneath. Take a close look at the black deposits and see if they are hard or soft. Aluminium oxide is very hard (harder than glass), so if the deposits are soft you know it's something that shouldn't be there...
Mr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2002, 08:00 PM   #167
EMC2
Cooling Savant

Default Seconds that!

Quote:
BTW bleach seemed like a good idea, but imediately after that thought i rembered it is a corrosive, so dont use bleach.
Bleach is VERY corrosive! Put a piece of aluminum in it some time and see what it does
Unread 02-27-2002, 12:12 AM   #168
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

mr evil... they are hard but read back through this post regarding it. like about why it is good to leave your pump on with a new setup.
Unread 02-27-2002, 12:42 PM   #169
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

DC if i were you id email the companys asking what ratio to mix it at i know on the purple ice 4 oz-1 gal is for antifreeze not water

email redline and royal purple ask them what there recommandations are for straight water mixture
Jason-Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2002, 12:47 PM   #170
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

good point. but im not sure its that detrimental for the application. mainly just testing for best corrosion prevention.
something to look into though.
Unread 03-14-2002, 08:26 PM   #171
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

i have some more updates for you guys.

The tap water is still getting this big cloudy ball around the aluminum.

the straight distilled just started showing a green coating on the copper but the aluminum is as good as day one.

the purple ice still has about the same ammount of a hazy white coating on everything (both cups)

and the red line hasnt changed execpt for the initial coating on the aluminum that took place in the first few days.

so all in all after almost 2 months i declare RedLine to be the best performer.

i will keep you guys updated if i see the redline get funky. and if i get a camera (dont have mine anymore) i will take some pics for you.
Unread 03-14-2002, 08:50 PM   #172
Brad
Thermophile

ok, cool digital, so even though it looks to be the worst at first the water wetter is probably the best

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2002, 08:54 PM   #173
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

i think that test isnt rite i think it should be tested with the water flowing over the metal or something. the chemichals have to mix up with the water in order for htem to work
Jason-Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2002, 09:43 PM   #174
DigitalChaos
Cooling Savant

have at it jason ... hehe

i cant afford that many pumps

the additives were already mixed in with the water... and the water has stayed a solid color, so that means no separation.
no reason for flow there

although the purple ice did seem like some weird white stuff was settling on everything. yet the walls of the glass had a white coating too. so i think it was more of a byproduct created.

the actual friction of water on metal... sure this may increase the process... but the metals are like 1cm away from each other in my tests, in real life they are much farther apart
either way it would just increase the process, which is not exactly what im interested in. i just want to know what is better than the rest.
Unread 03-14-2002, 09:51 PM   #175
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Not only water flowing, but heat aswell. That would be a lot of work though.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote