Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 04-30-2003, 03:20 PM   #1
Zeta09
Cooling Neophyte

Default New to this forum with Fittings question

Hello everyone,

New to this forum but long standing member of a few others. Wanted to see if anyone could help with my new WC endeavor. I have mostly Innovatek components (Ehiem 1046, Waterblock and Res w/ Single Fan Radiator) and wanted to get a Swiftech MCW5000-A block for the WC that I want to setup in my second comp.

I actually had some Tygon 3/8" ID 1/2"OD tubing already but I want to use the this tubing instead of the tubing with the 8mm fittings that come with the Innovatek products.

Which barbs should I use?

I have seen the 1/4" BSPT 3/8"ID to 1/2" ID but I want to change all the 8mm fittings to 10mm fittings on the pump, block, and rad.

Secondly, I wanted to bounce off any of you gurus that could tell me if there is a better sequence in the circut or does it matter?
Right now I have Pump>Rad>Block. I will be adding the GPU block to the circut in the next week or so but let me know what you all think.

Looking forward to the interaction on this forum as well. Thanks in advance
Zeta09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2003, 04:50 PM   #2
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
Which barbs should I use?
Well I don't know what size is what in metric, but obviously use the largest fittings your threads will allow. I believe 1/4BSPT is equivilent to NPT, except with different threading, which would mean 1/2 OD is the ideal size for them.

Quote:
Secondly, I wanted to bounce off any of you gurus that could tell me if there is a better sequence in the circut or does it matter?
Even in a low flow system like that, sequence won't matter. The heat capacity of water is too high compared to the power dissipated by the pump to make a measurable difference. Also, if you're going to use a small pump like the 1046, there may be better blocks available. As I recall the Swiftek blocks like high flow.

Check out http://www.thermal-management-testing.com/
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2003, 05:48 PM   #3
Zeta09
Cooling Neophyte

Default clarification

Hey thanks for the response

Lemme make sure I am understanding.

I knew about the threading being somewhat different but are you saying that the current threading of the components I have now aren't compatible with the fittings out there. I know the 1048 had the 10mm, 3/8"ID fittings as a standard whereas the 1046 has the 8mm fittings (5/16"ID Tygon but might be a different size with different tubing mfr).
Just a post for clarification. . .
Zeta09 is offline   Reply With Quote