Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-15-2004, 02:17 PM   #1
Anemone
Cooling Neophyte

Default water temp probe building

Ok I did a bunch of searches and read tons of articles and not found what I was looking for, hence the new post which will likely make people roll their eyes at me

I want to build a SIMPLE water temperature probe from available parts, ie any one of the dozen or so fan controllers/temp probe systems out there. Now no where have I seen yet mentioned actually sticking one of these probes in the water, but they certainly look waterproof on the end, but I'd bet the wire coverings and such are far from waterproof.

So my idea, is to use a T, and stick a temp probe such that just the very end is sticking into the water flow and then seal the entire rest of the t outlet up with goop, sealing the wire and the whole thing with a plug of goop essentially, and thus leaving the tiny tip of the probe into the water stream.

As a slight modification to this plan I had thought of using Thermal epoxy, but I'd bet a plug worth of the stuff would get kind of pricey, I'm not so sure it would stick well to either a plastic or a metal T, and I'd be pretty sure that antifreeze or other stuff in the water could eat away at the thing over time.

If there is an article I've missed with all this in one simple place please link and my humble apologies for not having been able to find it myself.

Thank you!
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
greenman100
Cooling Savant

sticking between radiator fans works to a certain extent, wasy, not very "pro"

you could put a think coat of rtv on the end of the probe, then rtv it into the T
greenman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
DrMemory
Cooling Savant

Most thermistors are NOT waterproof at all and should not be in contact with water. You need to find one that is hermatically sealed, or apply some kind of seal to the part that comes in contact with water. Regular epoxy is waterproof but it is a bad thermal conductor. I don't know if thermal epoxy is waterproof.
DrMemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2004, 05:25 PM   #4
Anemone
Cooling Neophyte

*shoots the plan*

Ok hmm - more planning then I guess
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2004, 06:05 PM   #5
redleader
Thermophile

Get a waterproof thermocouple and epoxy it into a t fitting. Check out billa's recent thread on thermocouples and meters in the benchtesting forum. Very good resource there, and the probes he recommends from omega are available in waterproof variety.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote