Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
dango99
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap Server 4400 reset

Hi.

I've just bought a 2nd user 4400 on ebay.
This box came with no hdds and only 2 caddies/sleds.
I have connected a spare 80gb drive to channel 1 and have switched the machine on.
The power LED and network LED are both lit. The HDD LED (near the drive) is also lit, so i know the unit can see the drive.

I don't know the IP address of the unit, and it's not showing up in the DHCP client list on my server, so i can't get in and do a disaster recovery installation of Guardian OS (i have the CD from another snap 4400).

What can i do??

I have tried holding the reset button down when powering on - this causes the machine to beep after 5ish seconds and still nothing else happens. I have also tried (as someone else suggested) waiting for a while and then just pressing the reset button once and letting the unit reboot - this one does even less - in fact it does nothing at all!!

i haven't tried serial console (because i don't have a pc to hand with a serial connector) and i haven't tried taking a drive out of my operational 4400 and booting with that - i don't want to potentially fry the data on the existing 4400! It would be just my luck for a drive to fail while the donor drive is working on the new machine.

any thoughts please?

also, IF i can get it going, i would like to know if anyone knows where i could purchase 4400 sleds from (ie not for $500 on ebay!)

Many thanks

dan
dango99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: Snap Server 4400 reset

4400 is a GOS unit, the os is on the HD. To load you must also have another GOS unit to prepare a HD so it will boot. Once you have a HD with the GOS it can/will install on the remaining HD's. The sleds for most of the GOS units are very expensive.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
dango99
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for your reply.

Is there a way to safely create a new boot drive? ie without putting my data at risk...

if i was to power down and remove one drive from the working server, and start the new server from that drive, won't the operating system mark that disk as bad, forcing a resync once i replace it into the old system?

i'm just worried, since i lost my entire photo collection with an adaptec raid controller that decided to do a media check whilst rebuilding an array... and i've been cautious ever since!

before you say "what about backups"? how do you backup 2Tb data other than to a 2nd snap server (which is what this one is for)?

any help much appreciated!

dan
Unread 01-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
blue68f100
Thermophile

A cold boot is the correct way to transfer the OS to a new HD. But if you have deiaster recovery active this needs to be stopped before doing the cold boot, as well as AV. Other wise it will mark the drive as part of a set. The working unit will do a resync when the original hd is reinstalled. Hot swap will be the easiest to start the resync.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 03:10 AM   #5
dango99
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for your help.

I have transferred the OS to a spare 80Gb HDD and used that to power up the new 4400!

My old 4400 required a full resync and thankfully didn't die in the process!

I have upgraded to the latest GOS and everything is fine... apart from only having 2 drive bays :-(

IF ANYONE HAS ANY 4400 SLEDS FOR SALE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!