Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Mod / System Gallery
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Mod / System Gallery You got your machine all Spiffy'd up? Got the Chrome and the Fuzzy Dice? Show em off! (Free Image Hosting)

Unread 09-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Default Power Mac 2000+

We need some more posts here! This is what I was up to over the weekend...
A while ago I got this old Mac G3 for free and it was really too old slow and loud to put to any real use so I decided to throw away most of what was inside and put a more useful machine inside its nice case. I didn't add any ventilation holes or anything but I did add a 120MM fan to the bottom of the case just to move around air. Considering the only fan moving air in or out of the case is the one in the power supply I think my temps are pretty good. (50s and 60s running folding @ home) It will run at 2100+ but has errors when running 100% CPU. I'll get a better over clock later when I have the time, maybe even a small WC loop

Specs:
- XP 2000+
- 40 GB HDD
- SCSI Zip Disk drive
- DVD drive
- 3.5 floppy drive

^This image shows the only mod I need to do besides the motherboard tray. It just allows the heatsink and fan enough room for the top section of the case to fold back into place. The motherboard I installed mounted difrently than a non standard ATX Mac motherboard so I either needed to place the standoffs in the correct places or half ass it screw in a thin piece of wood and use small wood screws to secure the motherboard. Guess which one I did.

Also: Happy birthday to Joe turning 30 today!
Unread 09-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default Re: Power Mac 2000+

DIY masterpiece!

Folding@Home? people still do that? Has it done any good yet?

SETI got me started in overclocking and water cooling back in the day...Then Distributed Folding later on. I remember having 3 computers not in cases sitting on top of a table with one water cooling loop on all 3 systems... I remember in the winter having the entire top of the table encased in cardboard with a duct from the window. I gave up those causes for lack of results (on their part) and the power bill... We used to have a team or two here for Distributed Folding and maybe Folding@Home.

Joe is only 30? I will be 32 next month... Time flys when you get older....
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

Thanks! I was a bit of a folding nut a while ago, now I only run it on one or two machines or when I use it for stress testing. I had built a Pentium 3 and Duron both sharing the same power supply running F@H, a Pentium 3 and my Opteron folding 24/7 a couple years ago but now I agree, the program isn't doing enough good to justify the tons and tons of computers running 24/7 sucking up power for it. WCG is a new project I've heard about and I guess a lot of people are crunching for them, possibly a more beneficial DC project that I might be looking into.
Unread 10-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
ben333
Uber Pro/Mods

I was bored so after I replaced my alarm clock I decided to use the old one in a mod for this case. This shot shows how I set it:

The clock in the Mac's bay:

Day shot:

Night shot: