Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Network/IP Tech
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Network/IP Tech Talk about that lil Penguin, or that lil Devil, or even those broken Windows! ;) All things networking.

Unread 11-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
teknotoyz
Cooling Neophyte

Default Hacked Bios upgrades for a linksys 54G Router

I have not seen any posts talking about router mods, this might be useful information for folks installing or upgrading a network. An IT buddy at work was talking about his linux based firewall on a router he was using and all the options he has to use for his home network (including extended range wireless). I figured he had the $400+ system installed, turns out it was a $40 linksys 54g router. Hey it uses linux, and I'm a fan of anything ending with an X (unix, linux, and yes even Apple OSX which is now unix based). Anyway, a trip to the local circuit city gets me the router, and a quick visit to sveasoft.com gets me a hacked bios ($20 bucks for a year of updates too). The flash process was very simple and WOW the options exploded on the web based router control screen.
My favorite is the fact that I can now assign static IP's to a connected system simply by linking the MAC address & system name to an IP I want that system to use. The DHCP server will reserve an IP for the listed MAC addresses.
Now the real fun begins, PARENTAL CONTROLS!, now that all systems, (XBOX's too) have listed IP addresses, I simply add internet access time restrictions for specific IP's (i.e.- bedtimes). Any IP outside of the assigned ranges is denied internet access. (this is important, my 16 yr old decided to change his MAC address to get a new IP, he got away with it for a week or so until I caught the new MAC listed on the router. His week of late night XBconnect taught me a lesson too.
Anyway, figured this subject might be valuable for folks pulling the maximum from the hardware they buy!

Last edited by teknotoyz; 11-06-2005 at 09:06 PM.
teknotoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
teknotoyz
Cooling Neophyte

I wanted to update this. V5 of the router no longer uses Linux as it's OS. So be sure to get a V4 or older if you decide to do this hack.
teknotoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default USR8054g

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknotoyz
I wanted to update this. V5 of the router no longer uses Linux as it's OS. So be sure to get a V4 or older if you decide to do this hack.
USRobotics 8054g wireless router gives you all of those opions out of the box.
As for him changing his MAC address. Set up a list of allowed address (MAC Filtering). Then if he changes it he looses his connection all together.

You can also put a list of IP/web sites in as a block and/or rules. I've used a black list to keep them away sites the host virus and spyware. There was an article on I think PC Mag ot TomsHardware that tested spyware. The would setup thes test machines. connet to 3 sites, no intervention on there part, after seveal minutes (5-10) the acticity would stop. >125 infection / additions. I don't need to test my software that bad.
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote