Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-13-2005, 05:02 AM   #1
marcuri
Cooling Neophyte

1st time watercooling.. heres my setup... input welcome

Well this is going to be my first WC setup to be used in a new AMD dual core system. This step is going to be put in one of the following cases:
lian li pc-v1200, pc-v2000.
or the antec P180 (if they had a bigger version of it i'd buy it in a second).

Anyone know of any issues difficulties with a watercooling setup and these cases?

Anyway heres the setup:

Block: DD TDX ($52)
Radiator: Thermochill PA160 ($89)
Reservoir: Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir ($25)
Pump: Enheim 1048 ($49)
tubing: 15 FT of 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Clearflex 60 ($16)
misc: clamps/fluid ~$10

Total: ~270 (with fluid xp)
i might get rid of the fluid xp ($35).. not sure if its worth it. any opinions on it?

everything is being priced through DD... even though i wasn't expecting to go much above $200 i'll probably order through them since it doesn't seem like they're ripping me off with their markup. But if if you see anything that seems overpriced let me know.

I want the system to be relatively future proof so eventually i can put a pelter (sp?) on there. because i want it to be future proof i am considering swaping the 1048 with a swiftech MCP655. Noise and heat are somewhat of a concern however. Anyone know much about the MCP655 with reguards to those two things? I was also just considering the option of just later on down the line adding another 1048 which would pretty much equal that of 1 MCP655.. i think.

also i'm considering the swiftech MCW6002 instead of the DD TDX... but i'm not sure if it'll make a difference.. well except for price... but i don't know which is cheaper.

advice is welcome. thanks.
marcuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2005, 05:32 AM   #2
DG
Cooling Neophyte

I have much the same set up, except for a C system MAG pump, and just water.
DD has these pumps now as well. If your concerned about noise, that is your answer.

Never tried XP, figured since this was my second system, I learned from my first mistakes.

Wish it was around for my first system
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
marcuri
Cooling Neophyte

doesn't the c system mag pump have some known issues like the DD pumps do? just curious as i've heard some people briefly mention that those 2 pumps have some issues... but i could be wrong cause i've only been researching the parts for 2 days now.
Unread 07-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #4
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Looks like a fine system, Marcuri. I would recommend the DDC pump instead of teh 1046, though. If you want a 1046 pump, I'd recommend the Swiftech MCW6000 block instead, because it gets better temps on low flow systems.
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2005, 10:40 AM   #5
marcuri
Cooling Neophyte

as mentioned in another forum they recommended the Laing D5 (aka mcp655) however i'm not sure how loud it is. How loud is the DDC? its a 1048 by the way.. not a 1046... not sure if that matters.

i was also told that i should go with the mcp655 with a MCW6002 and the 1048 with the TDX. this sound correct? is the mcp655 considered low flow and can it work with the MCW6000?

i'll definately look into the MCW6000. thanks for the advice.

also going to dump the fluid xp right now and change to the tygon tubing. radiator is also going to be change to the Black Ice Pro III Radiator since the PA 160 might have issues with some of the cases i'm considering. so far ok changes?
Unread 07-13-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
DG
Cooling Neophyte

Your the second person to suggest this, but I can find nothing but good posts on the Mag pumps on this and other sites.

There are several post about DDC problems on this board and other boards, including my own.

If it helps, I have had my pump for several months, and it is working very well for me. I replaced DDC with this pump, because I had no room for another type.

Going to try a second one for GPU cooling next, I would also suggest chip set cooling is a waste of time.
Unread 07-13-2005, 11:16 AM   #7
marcuri
Cooling Neophyte

are mag pumps loud? i want something similar to how quiet the 1048 is. it really isn't that big of an issue as i would be willing to put up with some noise for better preforming setup but basically anything over 40db i think is too much. and 35db and under is my optimal range. i'm going to probalby get 2 120mm fans that are 35db.
Unread 07-13-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
DG
Cooling Neophyte

Hehehe!

I guess you didn't read posts first

I find the Mag too quite, after DDC problems, I was worried if the pump was running since you can not hear it at all.

Have it plugged in MOBO fan port, and CPU monitors it just like a fan so no worries

Personally I don't think "big" pumps will help performance much, seems from what I read on another board, hi flow makes no difference.

I have also read GPU water cooling works very well, and I just got a GF-6800, which loves to be over-clocked if you keep it cool.

Say, anyone else playing GUNZ free beta?
I find my water cooled system Kicks A$$ there!
Unread 07-13-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
marcuri
Cooling Neophyte

haha i read it i'm just on 5 hours of sleep cause i was up all night doing the watercooling setup for this new system. i read it but i didn't comprehend it for some reason... went in one ear and out the other.
Unread 07-13-2005, 12:55 PM   #10
Chew_Toy
Cooling Savant

With the TDX I believe you would be better off with the D5 for a pump (DD has a combo price of the TDX and D5 for $109), or if you want to keep the 1048 I would suggest getting the Swifty block.
The D5 is much quieter than the older D4 which has a whine to it, so noise shouldnt be an issue with it unless you are looking for complete silence.

The TDX is much more flow dependant than the MCW6k block is why I would suggest the D5 with the TDX and the MCW if you would like to keep the AC pump. I like the idea of running my pump of my PS and not having to mess with the AC power in my setup.

None of the setups mentioned is bad and all would perform within aprox 2° of each other, its just I feel the TDX isnt a good match for a pump like the 1048.
Chew_Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #11
Dave
Cooling Savant

You will get 5.85 L/M at 12.5 V with DD version of CSP-MAG using 1/2 tubing and TDX block.

We designed the impeller and chamber around there block.

Hope this helps

Dave
C-Systems support
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2005, 09:27 AM   #12
marcuri
Cooling Neophyte

Aright i think i decided on the Mag pump (over the D5 due to the problems on various forums with the d5), TDX block, Black Ice Pro II Radiator, Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir and the tygon tubing. Think it comes to 240 (not inc. ship.) with a 12oz of Zerex.

Mag and TDX are fine together right?

also can anyone vouch for something called MCT-5 Non-Conductive Solution or is it a rip off like fluid xp?
https://www.dangerdenstore.com/produ...&cat=11&page=1

thanks again to everyone that helped me out
Unread 07-14-2005, 10:07 AM   #13
Dave
Cooling Savant

^ Please read above post, I am an engineer for C-systems
If you want to use a non-conductive fluid, you will need to buy a MAG from the Fluid XP site.

Non conductive fluid will void your C-systems warranty, as it is thicker then just water. Not sure if Danger Den warranty is voided or not, need to check with them.

Fluid XP is not a "rip off" in my opinion, great stuff for newbee's.
Unread 07-14-2005, 02:00 PM   #14
marcuri
Cooling Neophyte

aright thanks for the input dave. your post 'convinced' me to go with the mag over the d5. last thing i want is to run into is a problem down the line or right away with my first WC setup. just curious however will the Mag be as good as the d5 in terms of how much it pumps through? i'd like to be able to use the same pump for a pelt setup when i start considering it in a few months (depending on how this goes). i already ordered it but i'd just like to know when i start seriously considering a pelt setup so i don't screw that up.
Unread 07-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #15
Dave
Cooling Savant

No idea about TEC and D5, and you should know D5 is a damn good pump from what I understand.

Comes down to size and how much you want to spend.

I am not suggesting MAG over D5, only providing info on our product
You should not based any product purchase on what companies rep's say.

Yes, Mag is TEC safe. C-Systems parent company uses Mag design on there TEC units (not for PC liquid cooling).

Best I know D5 is XP safe, but again, ask guys at Danger Den.
Unread 07-15-2005, 07:25 AM   #16
Dave
Cooling Savant

"Say, anyone else playing GUNZ free beta?"

Tried it last night, must say my free time is now accounted for

Thanks for the info

Dave
Unread 07-16-2005, 09:33 PM   #17
plywood99
Cooling Neophyte

I have a mag too and really like it. What DG said about the Mag is true. With mine I do not know it's running. It is dead silent. Awesome little pump...
plywood99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2005, 11:02 PM   #18
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

Something you should know:
The TDX is NOT suited for TEC cooling. Notice the shape of the block. Notice the shape of the TEC. They don't match vary well. So, unless you plan on using chilled liquid, a TEC/TDX combo is out. If you want to got the TEC route in the future I would suggest a maze4. Screw fluid XP, unless you are paranoid. Water will actually give better temps, not to mention it's cheaper.

If you go with a TDX I would avoid a 1046/1048. No real issues with the D5, some just complain about noise. They are great pumps and push a lot of water. About the same as two MAGs in series (balparked). You might consider a BIP3 mounted externally with Panaflow L1s at 7v for a lower noise alternative. That is similar to the setup I have.
maxSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2005, 12:50 PM   #19
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxSaleen
...If you want to got the TEC route in the future I would suggest a maze4.
There's also the Swiftech 5002. I think Swiftech still sells these, both alone and with a TEC pre-attached.
BTW, 1st time watercooling with TEC is IMHO a particularly bad idea...
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2005, 01:00 PM   #20
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

I concur, Bob. I also don't see it as a very practical solution in general. One might be better off with phase change or a liquid chiller.
Unread 07-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #21
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

If you are going to use a TEC then get a block designed for one.... http://www.wintschlabs.com/ or http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw5002-64T.asp

Also get a dedicated power supply. Not something to half ass.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2005, 03:40 PM   #22
Dave
Cooling Savant

As Jaydee suggests, there considerable engineering concerns when using a TEC unit, and I would suggest you study everything to be said on this board.

The TEC system C-Systems uses, is not for home computer use. It is in fact an industrial / consumer chiller, used for food and chemical conditioning.

There are very well engineered and proven industrial TEC systems for electronic cooling, but to the best of my knowledge, these systems are not or have yet to be released to general public.
Unread 07-17-2005, 08:20 PM   #23
CYberDruid
Cooling Neophyte

for another 25 bucks get the Storm (G4) Extreme Universal water block from frozencpu--prolly the best production WB ever--I am clocking 4040 on a P4 3.0E at 2C over the mobo temps with that block--it is sweet. Especially with a low flow sys (I use AquaXtreme50Z DC-12). Good luck--it's definitely worth it both for performance and better acoustics.
Unread 07-21-2005, 08:57 PM   #24
marcuri
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYberDruid
for another 25 bucks get the Storm (G4) Extreme Universal water block from frozencpu--prolly the best production WB ever--I am clocking 4040 on a P4 3.0E at 2C over the mobo temps with that block--it is sweet. Especially with a low flow sys (I use AquaXtreme50Z DC-12). Good luck--it's definitely worth it both for performance and better acoustics.
damn didn't realize this thread was still going. well i appreciate all of the advice.. i'll definatley keep it in mind for TEC cooling in the future (if i don't screw up). already got my stuff... i'm actually about to go post and ask for help with fitting the black ice pro II into a lian li v2000 case without cutting anything (first time i spent over $100 for a case... let alone $200.. so you can see my hesitation in doing so)... should be interesting.
Unread 07-21-2005, 09:10 PM   #25
maxSaleen
Cooling Savant

If your worried about your case, go the easy way and get a swiftech Rad Box. I've got a BIP III mounted on the outside of my Lian Li 6077 (beautful case, I didn't want to cut it up....kinda like you).