Go Back   Pro/Forums > Site News and Blogs > Pro/Site News
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Pro/Site News The News you see on the front page, but in the forums... Uhh or something like that.

Unread 03-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Default Wow, 10 years

So it's been 10 years since the last actual review or article on the site. (Besides my rant post about how water cooling lost its groove).

Since then, lots has changed for me, and I am sure others. The cooling industry though doesn't seem to have changed much... its just gotten more refined. I hear of people all the time installing turn key H2O solutions on their DIY PCs. The humor I find when people talk about innovations and such they are seeing with these systems are nothing more than we were doing back in 12+ years ago.

For me... my main PC is a Surface Pro 4 i7... no water cooling, no mods, just a brilliant tablet that does it all. I have a HTPC (for now, as soon as the XBox 1 supports DVR use, I will cut over to that for everything media related.) and a single big home virt server (as described in other posts on my blog).

Many people I know have gone from PCs, to Macbooks or laptops. Or even all the way to just iPads or other Android tablets.

Efficiency, functionality, and portability seems to be trumping raw performance for the masses, which in the end is moving water cooling and overclocking back to the very niche market it started with.

Soon, with the "cloud" the move to DaaS (Desktop As A Service) I think you are going to see an additional hit to the DIY PC scene. You can "rent" massively powerful, accelerated remote machines, and with a good connection notice virtually no lag for gaming. This wont replace all PC builds, but will continue to erode the minimal use cases for powerful home PCs.

I focus in my job on the "cloud" (Microsoft Azure specifically) and I see it affecting virtually everything in IT and computing. So it leaves me wondering where stuff is going overall, well beyond "cooling".

As it stands I am still keeping this site online, not going to shit can it, or sell the domain (unless I get a great offer... which is unlikely). This will continue to be a warm storage for the legacy this site represents to the niche cooling hobby/industry.

With that said, I hope everyone had a great 10 years since we did anything, and maybe in 10 more we'll do something again... or not...

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote