Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 06-22-2005, 11:26 AM   #1
bdp62
Cooling Neophyte

Default Reading removed SNAP drives

We have an old Quantum SNAP server that recently died. It won't power up. I have no idea if the drives were damaged, but would like to find a way to read them and possibly pull any important data off of them.

The SNAP server doesn't list the model, but I suspect it is 5-6 years old and contained 4 Quantum Fireball lct10 (30 GB) drives.

I've removed the drives and attached them to both a Mac and a PC with a drive clone device. Both machines detect the drives but don't recognize the format.

Does anyone here have any idea how I might read these drives?
bdp62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #2
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

The easiest way is to get hold of/borrow another device, and stick the drives in there

Or, i suppose, seen as the file format is XFS, put it in a linux box that supports XFS, mandrake is the only one ive noticed that does (Red Hat Doesn't). But i suppose Unix may also.
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
bdp62
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
The easiest way is to get hold of/borrow another device, and stick the drives in there

Or, i suppose, seen as the file format is XFS, put it in a linux box that supports XFS, mandrake is the only one ive noticed that does (Red Hat Doesn't). But i suppose Unix may also.
Thanks for that info. I'll see if I can find a cheap Snap on eBay.
bdp62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
Dave_in_Dallas
Cooling Neophyte

Options for reading Snap Drives on Mac or PC

I found this link after "Googling" seems like it may be easier than Looking for a Linux box:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/

I have both Mac OSX and Windows XP at my home, and I have about 600GB of Firewire storage on the Mac, this was my preference. My drive turned out to have corruption that I couldn't deal with, but it's worth a try for you.

Here is a link to a Windows version if you're interested:
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

I mounted my drives in a Firewire external box fired up my Mac, and went from there.
Hope this is of use... thanks to Fuzzy_Wombat for his input to me.
Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdp62
We have an old Quantum SNAP server that recently died. It won't power up. I have no idea if the drives were damaged, but would like to find a way to read them and possibly pull any important data off of them.

The SNAP server doesn't list the model, but I suspect it is 5-6 years old and contained 4 Quantum Fireball lct10 (30 GB) drives.

I've removed the drives and attached them to both a Mac and a PC with a drive clone device. Both machines detect the drives but don't recognize the format.

Does anyone here have any idea how I might read these drives?
Dave_in_Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
aznwizkid
Cooling Neophyte

I has been said in the original snap forum that os4 is based on freebsd, give that freebsd uses UFS you might be able to get a simple linux running, I was personally thinking of trying fedora b/c it can read UFS before I made my snap my primary backup solution. I plan on using raid 1 so I figure the only thing that could die that would make me unable to get my data back is the snap server itself, just wanted to make sure I could get the data back.
aznwizkid is offline   Reply With Quote