Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 09-30-2004, 05:25 AM   #1
Sunwong
Cooling Neophyte

Default Looking for special fittings for my WC external box

Hi there,

I am currently building an external case for my WC setup, and while I was thinking on the best possible way to interconnect both boxes (PC and WC box), I have come to a some sort of "dead end"...

It looks a bit uncomfortable to me to have a direct connection from the pumps in the WC box to the CPU block in the PC (the same applies for hose from last block to heater cores), and I have thought of using some quick fittings, similar to those used in the Asetek kits, but for 1/2'' ID tubing.

I would have two of them on each of the boxes, and for each of them would be "double sided"... (I may not be explaining it correctly, I am sorry for my lack of tech. vocabulary). I hope you figure out what my idea is.

This would make much easier to dettach the external case, both for transportation and general maintenance...

But I have been told that those type of fittings are VERY flow-restrictive. If this is true, then I better stay sway from it and look for other methods...

So, to make the long story short, could you please give me some advice for my idea?

Thanks a lot,

Sunwong
Sunwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2004, 08:49 AM   #2
Bio-Hazard
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunwong
Hi there,

I am currently building an external case for my WC setup, and while I was thinking on the best possible way to interconnect both boxes (PC and WC box), I have come to a some sort of "dead end"...

It looks a bit uncomfortable to me to have a direct connection from the pumps in the WC box to the CPU block in the PC (the same applies for hose from last block to heater cores), and I have thought of using some quick fittings, similar to those used in the Asetek kits, but for 1/2'' ID tubing.

I would have two of them on each of the boxes, and for each of them would be "double sided"... (I may not be explaining it correctly, I am sorry for my lack of tech. vocabulary). I hope you figure out what my idea is.

This would make much easier to dettach the external case, both for transportation and general maintenance...

But I have been told that those type of fittings are VERY flow-restrictive. If this is true, then I better stay sway from it and look for other methods...

So, to make the long story short, could you please give me some advice for my idea?

Thanks a lot,

Sunwong
Here's how I connected my external box (see pics) And these are the fittings that I used. Colder High Flow Quick Disconnects Hope this helps. And they do sell them in the EU.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00859.JPG (60.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00860.JPG (61.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00865.JPG (60.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00880.JPG (60.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00882.JPG (60.8 KB, 81 views)
Bio-Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2004, 09:45 AM   #3
Sunwong
Cooling Neophyte

Hi Bio-Hazard,

Many thanks for your help, I think this is what I am looking for..

However, I have entered the website and there are lots of references... :shrug: Which ones are those I should order to make the very same than you? I am using 1/2''ID Tygon tubing.

It says "High flow", but does it restrict your flow or not?

Many thanks in advance,

Sunwong
Unread 09-30-2004, 09:47 AM   #4
Hansfragger
Cooling Savant

I have been searching for a while now and have come up with 4 options- each a compromise. They are listed in order of highest flow first.

1) 1/2" gas valves. These are a ball valve with a straight through design when fully open measuring .472 ID. They are relatively cheap at $3.50 US each. Downside-Very heavy and since the threaded barb will not screw all the way into the valve there will be some impedance to the flow when fluid flows through the barb, then hits a small ridge as it enters the smallest ID path in the middle of the valve. I have enclosed photos showing hose barbs and a conduit locking ring which will allow you to panel mount these. Another benefit is when you disconnect the tubing you can place an inexpensive screw in plug to keep any fluid from coming out while you are moving the components aroung. It would be interesting to see one of the Dynamos on this forum measure the flow compared to the following.

2) Colder products FL series. http://www.colder.com/asp_main/flfbind.asp . These are the highest flow, lowest pressure drop, valved couplings offered I have been able to find. These are beautiful, machined aluminum. You can order them with valves in both sides of the coupling. Downsides are weight, $$$$$$$$$!!!, and these are the only couplings of the group that are not manufactured in panel mount. When I spoke with Colder they were willing to manufacture a run of them in panel mount if the quantity were high enough, or a proposal could be submitted to them to add this configuration to their catalog.

3) Colder NSH series. http://www.colder.com/Downloads/NSHFINAL.pdf . According to Colder these are their highest flow, lowest pressure drop, panel mountable couplings designed for 1/2" ID tubing. Not only are these valved in all sides, but they are designed to only release a few drops when uncoupled. These appear to be the best compromise of the group. You can also order an extra set of opposite sex fittings with no valves, so when you uncouple the tubing, you will still have a valve in the PC side and external WC box sides to prevent a spill. Then you insert the non-valved coupling (with a pre attached section of tubing) into the valved coupling and voila! You will drain the system into a container of your choice, instead of all over your hands, etc.

4) This final item i'm not sure on. At one point in my searching, I found a valved both side coupling with a 5/8" flow THROUGH THE COUPLING! All the other couplings, even though they are available for 1/2" ID tubing, are only a 3/8" flow through the valve body. The drawback to this coupling was it was only available with 3/4" barbs. It was either Colder or Omega.

I guess when it comes to couplings for external WC rigs, it's hard to have your cake and eat it too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001F.JPG (69.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-002F.JPG (61.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-004F.JPG (58.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-005F.JPG (62.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-007F.JPG (79.4 KB, 28 views)
PC P&C 750, ASUS DVD R/RW,
Velociraptor 300, Raptor 74,
Storm rev2, modified Laing DDC,
modified HL BI2 Extreme, 7/16 ID Tygon,
modified DD res, PC ICE, TT liquid temp monitor
Hansfragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
Bio-Hazard
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansfragger

3) Colder NSH series. http://www.colder.com/Downloads/NSHFINAL.pdf . According to Colder these are their highest flow, lowest pressure drop, panel mountable couplings designed for 1/2" ID tubing. Not only are these valved in all sides, but they are designed to only release a few drops when uncoupled. These appear to be the best compromise of the group. You can also order an extra set of opposite sex fittings with no valves, so when you uncouple the tubing, you will still have a valve in the PC side and external WC box sides to prevent a spill. Then you insert the non-valved coupling (with a pre attached section of tubing) into the valved coupling and voila! You will drain the system into a container of your choice, instead of all over your hands, etc.

I guess when it comes to couplings for external WC rigs, it's hard to have your cake and eat it too.
The only problem with these couplings is their size. Their is no where on the case to mount bulkhead fittings

"A 2.00 inch (50.8mm) hole must be bored in the panel/container. Maximum panel
thickness is .50 inch (12.7mm). Minimum panel thickness is .12 inch (3.1mm)."

Those things are huge, that's why I didn't use them. But I guess it depends on the size of your case and how many spare 80mm fan holes you have free.
Unread 09-30-2004, 03:59 PM   #6
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Hansfragger, the ball valves you have pictured are also available in PVC (plastic). Any plumbing/hardware store ought to have them.

Where's Sunwong?!? I still want the part #'s.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2004, 04:42 PM   #7
Sunwong
Cooling Neophyte

Hi bigben2k,

You talking about the Colder's part numbers?

I am still looking for the right one at other manufacturers, namely parker fcg at the moment...

I will post my decission once I make up my mind.

Bio-Hazard, what is the model you used for your setup?

Sunwong
Unread 09-30-2004, 11:17 PM   #8
Bio-Hazard
Cooling Neophyte

I got them from here:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...duct%5Fid=7413

Part numbers follow:
60695 1/2" Polypropylene Bulkhead Panel Mount Hose Barb Shutoff- 2.82 Lgt - Coupling Body
60814 1/2" Polypropylene Hose Barb Shutoff - 1.86 Lgt - Coupling Insert
Unread 10-01-2004, 04:30 AM   #9
Sunwong
Cooling Neophyte

Then, correct me If I am wrong, but there are no quick disconnect couplings that support 1/2''' internal flow.

This is unacceptable for me, I'm afraid. Why use 1/2''ID tubing and components if I am going to restrict the whole circuit to 3/8'' ?

I will be looking for an alternative but I am not very optimistic....
Unread 10-01-2004, 10:12 AM   #10
Hansfragger
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Then, correct me If I am wrong, but there are no quick disconnect couplings that support 1/2''' internal flow.

This is unacceptable for me, I'm afraid. Why use 1/2''ID tubing and components if I am going to restrict the whole circuit to 3/8'' ?

2) Colder products FL series. http://www.colder.com/asp_main/flfbind.asp . These are the highest flow, lowest pressure drop, valved couplings offered I have been able to find. These are beautiful, machined aluminum. You can order them with valves in both sides of the coupling. Downsides are weight, $$$$$$$$$!!!, and these are the only couplings of the group that are not manufactured in panel mount. When I spoke with Colder they were willing to manufacture a run of them in panel mount if the quantity were high enough, or a proposal could be submitted to them to add this configuration to their catalog.
I believe these are 1/2" or larger internal flow. Colder claimed that these are as good as it gets. Remember that ANY type of a quick release valved fitting is going to have some restriction. If you want the least amount of restriction possible, get the quick release fittings without the valves, or at least less valves. Instead of setting up your system the way you explained with 8 valves, drop down to 4 or 2 valves as each valve adds resistance. You have 2 other options:

1) The gas valves(also as bigben2k so gratiously added come in pvc) use a ball valve which would have zero practical resistance to flow when open, and as I measured, .472 ID.

2) You can take a PCI plate and modify it to accept 1/2" barbs with no restriction, but no valves also. This is the most compact setup (see enclosed photos) I didn't realize until Bio-Hazard so hilariously pointed out, the NSH fittings are "monsters"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.JPG (68.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 7.JPG (53.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 8.JPG (70.8 KB, 35 views)
PC P&C 750, ASUS DVD R/RW,
Velociraptor 300, Raptor 74,
Storm rev2, modified Laing DDC,
modified HL BI2 Extreme, 7/16 ID Tygon,
modified DD res, PC ICE, TT liquid temp monitor
Hansfragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2004, 12:16 PM   #11
Bio-Hazard
Cooling Neophyte

there is no real perfect solution to the problem with a external system. It all depends on what you want to do with it I guess and how much cash you have to spend. what I used was pretty much middle of the road between cost, size of fittings and flow rates. The Colder products FL series would be the best choice if you have the money to spare.
Unread 10-02-2004, 10:01 PM   #12
pauldenton
Cooling Savant

some of these appear to be 1/2" flow...
http://www.omega.co.uk/ppt/pptsc.asp...C35&Nav=grel11
http://www.omega.com/pptst/FTHFC35.html

edit: reading it again the only 1/2" flow parts are inserts, without shutoffs... oh well....

Last edited by pauldenton; 10-02-2004 at 11:30 PM.
pauldenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2004, 11:04 PM   #13
Bio-Hazard
Cooling Neophyte

Read the product description, it says right in there, 3/8 inch flow. They are Colder couplings anyway.
Unread 10-03-2004, 11:28 AM   #14
Sunwong
Cooling Neophyte

BioHazard,

I do agree with you regarding the FL series, but the setback is they don't offer panel mount for this one...

I guess I might go for the FL series and look for some custom method to attach them to the case.

Would be interesting to have someone measuring the flow of gas valves versus the other methods, though.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I will keep on looking for something and make a decision this week. Will tell you my final choice.

Sunwong
Unread 10-03-2004, 03:09 PM   #15
TheArchitect
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:

The Brass Barb fittings i have that are made for 1/2" ID tubing have an internal diameter of 3/8" (the fittings have a wall thickness of 1/16"). So if your using fittings that have an OD of 1/2" to mesh with the 1/2" ID tubing, your flow is also goign to be constricted, maybe even to 3/8" if you have the brass kind like mine. Just thought i would point that out.
TheArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2004, 11:00 AM   #16
Sunwong
Cooling Neophyte

TheArchitect,

Good thing you pointed that one out. I was considering that issue in my current setup and wondering if the whole loop would currently be constricted by using same barbs as you mention (i.e: Heater cores' barbs)

Guess I will end up installing those FL from Colder, now up to look for them in Spain...

Will keep on posting here, thanks again to everyone!

Sunwong
Unread 10-05-2004, 11:13 PM   #17
Jetlag
Cooling Neophyte

Biohazard - Do you have the Colder part number for those connectors in your photos? Are they "panel mount" or a different model? Thanks!
Jetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2004, 06:03 AM   #18
Sunwong
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio-Hazard
I got them from here:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...duct%5Fid=7413

Part numbers follow:
60695 1/2" Polypropylene Bulkhead Panel Mount Hose Barb Shutoff- 2.82 Lgt - Coupling Body
60814 1/2" Polypropylene Hose Barb Shutoff - 1.86 Lgt - Coupling Insert
Finding Colder part numbers from this info should be easy....

Sunwong
Unread 10-06-2004, 12:01 PM   #19
Bio-Hazard
Cooling Neophyte

Those are the ones.............
Unread 10-07-2004, 09:58 AM   #20
Jetlag
Cooling Neophyte

Actually you would think so, but not the case. I've tried using the Colder Product Selector using those variables and it always comes up with the "NSH" fittings which are huge, not something I would even consider.

The couplings that Bio-Hazard used (see photos above) appear to be either APC or EFC series, even possibly HFC series. BTW, when you include the option "panel mount" in the search criteria, the results are even less palatable.

So it's not as if I did'nt try, the ones in the photos are exactly what I need, I just do not want to order the wrong thing and have to go through the hassle of returning the wrong ones or worse, paying restocking fees. It's also easier to search around for other sources when you know the part numbers (also don't want to pay the ludicrous shipping charges mentioned earlier).

Biohazard, if you know the model number or the series could you please post it? Are they panel mount or is that a mod that you accomplished? Thanks.

***edit***

OK, this took a bit of work and an online chat with the folks at US Plastics, but here is the information if you are interested. I believe the couplings in BioHazards photos are the HFC12 series, and the part numbers would be:

HFC16812 = 1/2" hose barb coupling body straight through w/panel mount
HFCD16812 = 1/2" hose barb coupling body w/shutoff w/panel mount
HFC22812 = 1/2" hose barb insert straight through
HFCD22812 = 1/2" hose barb insert w/shutoff

In addition to having them at US Plastics, I also found them at McMaster-Car, but they wanted more for the same thing. The shipping at US Plastics wasn't to bad, for 4 fittings it came to about $10.

Last edited by Jetlag; 10-07-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Jetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2004, 03:26 PM   #21
Bio-Hazard
Cooling Neophyte

I didn't have the model numbers, just the item number on usplastics site that is in the link above. I found about 6 different places that sells the fittings, and US Plastics is the cheapest, even with shipping. They also ship very fast when the item is in stock.
Unread 10-07-2004, 04:19 PM   #22
Bobonit
Cooling Neophyte

Usplastics is a nice site to deal with. I bought all my acrylic there for the external box I am trying to fabricate. I'm thinking of placing another order with them for those same fittings. They look nice on Bio-Hazards case.
Bobonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2004, 02:28 AM   #23
brucoman
Cooling Savant

Parker FS-751-12FP/FS-752-12FP
3/4" SS check disconnects, flush face, weigh 2# each fitting
very very low pressure drop - looking for flow table now...
brucoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2004, 08:52 AM   #24
Bio-Hazard
Cooling Neophyte

Here's some specs on the parker fittings you were looking at.

http://www.parker.com/quickcouplings...log%206-02.pdf
Unread 10-12-2004, 09:23 AM   #25
brucoman
Cooling Savant

ya, page 6
I picked up 2 sets for $25 on ebay, new
brucoman is offline   Reply With Quote