Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-30-2001, 09:00 AM   #1
dw
Cooling Neophyte

Default Everything...

Im doing a new system.. tho im using my old dd maze2 block again.. im now to start using ONLY distilled water and WW
but im not sure.. will some strong acid ( not strong enough to damage the block ) but like toilett rinse remove any possible alge?

And second of all.. i wonder if anyone ever built a 5.25 BAY tank.. because that would be a shitload of space saving...

ive been thinking maybe build a bay tank out of Lexan or Acrylic.. but maybe youve got better ideas..

And for last.. ive got a hold of a DD chipset block.. but i have no idea on howto mount it.. Any ideas?
Unread 09-01-2001, 06:06 PM   #2
Nordic
Cooling Neophyte

What's with all these reservoirs ?
I simply don't get it why people are using them when an in-line system is so easy to maintain.. anyone who can claim that there is any performance advantage in using a reservoir and can give me solid facts and a motivation as to why?

(never tried a bulky reservoir myself)

I don't know about the acid idea on cleaning the system.. I'd try using water. At high pressure. Do you have access to a high pressure water cleaner?

(never tried that one either, but prolly worth checking out)

I'd replace the hose with new hose..
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2001, 04:13 PM   #3
dw
Cooling Neophyte

Well.. i dont know if a reservoir is very good .. but it sure doesnt make the system get so hot during full load..

i have like 31 C idle.. and like 46 full load

Thats a tb 1.33 unclocked.. and eheim 1250 pump maze2 3/8" tubing black ice radiator..
so thats not a good temperature imo :
Unread 09-02-2001, 04:30 PM   #4
Nordic
Cooling Neophyte

Tjena dw!

Yeah, your temperature seems a bit high (is that using the in-socket thermistor? get a compunurse), it's likely you have some problem in your system. With that equipment you should be getting lower temps. Say your ambient temp is 23 C and your load is 46, that gives a 23 degree temp increase from ambient. If your processor is a highly clocked TBird you should have a 100W heat load and a C/W of 23/100 = 0.23. That is as good as the best aircooled heatsinks today. You should have a much lower C/W <0.15 and a temp of at most 40 C.

Try tightening the bolts on the Maze2, I've heard people having lowered their temps significantly. Also check the flow.
Unread 09-02-2001, 04:36 PM   #5
Nordic
Cooling Neophyte

I should note that the Eheim 1250 itself is a 28W heat load and putting it in a reservoir is not a good idea.. Using it inline on the other hand will not heat up the water significantly as the majority of the heat is radiated from the electronics and not from the impeller housing.
Unread 09-06-2001, 04:11 PM   #6
dw
Cooling Neophyte

Well the flow rate isnt better now with the 1250.. as it was with the eheim 1048... but i cant find shit that is blocking the water either.. so i dont know really.. maybe its just a hot Tbird.. and its not clocked.. its standard for now.. :>
Unread 09-06-2001, 04:11 PM   #7
dw
Cooling Neophyte

Tja föressten
Unread 09-06-2001, 08:24 PM   #8
Butcher
Thermophile

If you're running WW or anti-freeze algae shouldn't be a problem.
Unread 09-06-2001, 11:51 PM   #9
ezlid
Cooling Neophyte

I'm assuming that you want clean up your block after using a while. DON'T USE TOILET BOWL CLEANER! Thats for cleaning you what out of a crapper. Before you do anything make sure you it really needs it. Also do all the flushing described on your complete cooling sysem - block, res, pump and rad.
To kill algae use good old fashioned bleach. Dump the old coolant and put about 1/4 cup/30cc in your system, top off with tap water and let it circulate for a while. Then flush with tap water until it doesn't smell like bleach any more and no bits of crap come out.
I don't advise using the bleach in your normal coolant mix. I don't know how the chlorine in the bleach will react with copper/aluminum over time.
If you're trying to clean out the results of corrosion use some automotive cooling system flush - make sure the label says it is safe for copper and aluminium. Try to find the liquid kind and figure out from the directions how much to use. Top off the system with hot (boiling if you can) water let it circulate for a while. Flush the same as for bleach, only do it 2 times longer. You don't want any of this stuff to be mixed with your normal coolant mix.
You don't have to both kinds of cleaning. Use bleach for algae and the coolant system flush will take care of both the alge and corrosion. Fill the system with distilled water and Water Wetter and you shouldn't have any problems.
If you do have corrosion (I don't know what components went into your cooling system except the DD maze 2 - Copper) get a copper rad. Over time continued corrosion will lead to leaks. Then there is a good chance the whole system will turn into a POS. Then you can use toilet bowl cleaner because it won't matter anymore!
ezlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2001, 01:07 AM   #10
ezlid
Cooling Neophyte

I have a DD chipset block and had the same problem, I emailed them and they would make a mount out of lexan as long as i had fan mounting holes in the mobo. Just need the measurements. Also they mailed that they were going to be offering a chipset mount. Try emailing Danger Den. They were helpful. Use tech@dangerden.com
Unread 09-07-2001, 03:41 AM   #11
dw
Cooling Neophyte

Well i dont mind ill make my own hold down for the chipset.. think im gonna pay like 21 bucks extra for shipping a damn hold down... i thought it was dangerdens "policy" to have built in hold downs as it didnt say it needed a hold down i thought i already had one :> but ill do fine.. w/o paying a crap load of money more
Unread 09-07-2001, 03:43 AM   #12
dw
Cooling Neophyte

Oh and ezlid, thanks for the options but i rinsed the block with only hot water.. it wasnt that crappy.. but i CANT find out whats blocking my Flow i got a EHEIM 1250 pump.. and the flow isnt better than my old EHEIM 1048 pump wich is HALF the flow rate.. im using 3/8" id tubing tho.... but it should be more flow
Unread 09-07-2001, 04:14 PM   #13
ezlid
Cooling Neophyte

DW - If your block is clear, it may the rad. Try reversing the in/out lines on the rad and pump into a bucket or bowl to see if any crud comes out. The rad may need flushing. If the block had any build-up, the chances are good the rad has crud in it too.
BTW - I'm making my own chipset hold down too. I just wanted to give you the info from DD.
Unread 09-07-2001, 05:58 PM   #14
dw
Cooling Neophyte

Well the rad was brand new from factory.. ran about 1 week with distilled water w/o water wetter.. so it shouldnt be shit in there.. but can 3/8" tubin cause so much flow restriction?
Unread 09-07-2001, 08:15 PM   #15
Arcturius
Cooling Savant

If you're worried about the heat that your pump puts out heating the water too much, you could also run your system so the line out of the pump goes into the rad, then into the block on your CPU (assuming you're not running it like this already).

That would make sure the water is at its coolest before it hits the CPU, but it would also mean that you're storing hot water in your res.

Just something to think about.
KD7R + Palomino 1800+
W2K3:
4x P3 Xeon 500 512KB (4 clients)
Linux boxes:
none Had to put them to use doing *real* work.
Arcturius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2001, 02:08 AM   #16
ezlid
Cooling Neophyte

DW- Does the block have 3/8" fittings? And what rad are you running?
Unread 09-10-2001, 01:54 PM   #17
dw
Cooling Neophyte

Well both are 3/8" fittings.. and yeah maybe i should put like pump rad block...
Ill try and see what happens..