Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 05-22-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
buzzby
Cooling Neophyte

Default cross drilled designed. What do u think?

Hi

I have managed to purchase some copper bar and hope to use it to redo my whole computer. I have a design for the following CPU water block, see attached pic.

The only equipment i have access to is a drill, vice, files, grinder, drill bits, sand paper. I cannot get a drill press of any thing like that.

I'm pretty certain i can make the block without to much problem. I just want to know if there are any major flaws with it.

The blue cirlces in the pic are the mounting holes and the green squares are blocked off holes.

It is a top down view and i'm sure you all get the rest.

thanks for all input in advance

Buzz

Attached Images
File Type: gif cross drilled block idea.gif (10.4 KB, 33 views)
buzzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
|kbn|
Cooling Savant

its not really flawed apart from the fact it would be VERY difficult to make without a drill press. I would not like to be making one of them
There are easyer methods, but they require a lid to seal it (instead of blockign of channels).
Also a design using a lid instead of cross drilling can perform a lot better becuase the cooling area is concentrated where it is needed.
Heres one of my blocks as an example, http://server5.uploadit.org/files/kbn2k3-nbbase.JPG all of the pins were made by drilling wiht a 5mm drill, and then I used a cutting disk/ 3mm ball cutting thing, to cut between them. I used an 8mm drill for the space under the inlets and outlets.
Search for rotor waterblocks on google/these forums, they are easy to make and work very well.
|kbn| is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
buzzby
Cooling Neophyte

i have lookec at the rotor block designs. personnal i think it will be harder to make one of those than my current design. i mght look into renting a drill press. Any idea what this may cost in uk for a day or 2 rental?

even with out 1 i think i'll han more luck crossdrilling as it doesn't matter so much if i go all the way through the copper as it can be blocked, unlike if i drill stright through the base. I also dont have a dremal

buzz
Unread 05-22-2004, 10:08 PM   #4
superart
Cooling Savant

try this article

http://www.procooling.com/articles/h...-_onda___1.php

Looking to buy/trade for used Deep Fryer and Vacume Pack Sealer.
superart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2004, 01:15 AM   #5
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzby
i mght look into renting a drill press. Any idea what this may cost in uk for a day or 2 rental?
I just bought a 9" drill press...
$39.99 + $10.00 rebate coupon...
so for about $35.00 incuding tax... i got a krappy drill press...
but it will do the job for what i want it to do...
look around you may find a deal like that where u are...
Unread 05-23-2004, 09:48 AM   #6
buzzby
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the replys. I have looked intio buying a drill press and in the UK there about £35 but they don't seem to include any clamping equipment. Not a prob as i have some. It just i don't want to spend nearly £40 on equipment to make just one block when i can buy one for that price.

If i was to make one and it worked do you think people would be interested in buying a few to cover my costs?

Also i read that article, much the same as the others apart from the writer is a bit strange saying YOU MUST have this equipment or you cannot make a block. That rubbish as i have made a bee hive type block with very simple tools that out performs the very best air cooling.

Buzz