Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 09-11-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default Water Block Test Results

My test bench has come along way over the years. I now find it satisfying enough to post results.

The parts of the bench include 2 of these Cole Parmer 5 channel units http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/pr...sp?sku=0850216. One used for dT water minus die temp and the other as room temp and secondary die temp.

One Crystal Fonts CF633 http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/633/index.html which was used as a reader for the SwissFlow 800.

One Mak-4 Gen-X Pump. 1190gph @ 4ft.

One custom 1/2" x 1/2" die sim with heater running at 72 watt output.

Ford F-150 Heatercore with 1 Panaflow 120mm fan.

1 Swissflow 800 flow meter. I really like the Swissflow 800 flow meter. It has instant response time and goes down to .5 LPM. The only drawback is it has a pretty large pressure drop and it is recommended to have a 20 micron filter before it which adds another restriction. However I decided to live with this as I like the ease of use of it mated with the CF633 digital display. It connects right to one of the fan headers for easy installation. Also even after the restriction I was able to achieve 4LPM or better with all blocks tested here. I think most PC water cooling loops don't go much above that point anyway and if they do it is overkill.

I got a second Swissflow 800 from the good guys at www.swissflow.com and will be doing a system build here with it when I get the cash to buy the rest of the parts. That will end up being the computer that runs my CNC mill.

Here are the results I got from my recent testing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WaterBlockTest2.jpg (82.9 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by jaydee; 09-11-2006 at 10:14 PM.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
BGP Spook
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Water Block Test Results

Excelent!

It is interesting to see the differences between your results and interactive waterblock results.
Which highlights the subjective nature of a test bed relative to other dissimilar test beds.
Unread 09-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGP Spook
Excelent!

It is interesting to see the differences between your results and interactive waterblock results.
Which highlights the subjective nature of a test bed relative to other dissimilar test beds.
I think the Maze 4 is the only block on both benches. I find it interesting the results are pretty close. at 4LPM (1GPM) I got 13.9C and pH got 14C. Althought at .5GPM things are about a C off. Note his results are Gallons per minute and mine are Liters per minute.

Also I find Robotec's results pretty in line with mine as well on his 80watt die sim.
http://www.systemcooling.com/images/...image27big.gif

I am satisfied with my results.
Unread 09-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
plywood99
Cooling Neophyte

Results look excellent jaydee. Notice you topped out at just over a gallon per minute. Is this the limit of your setup???
plywood99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by plywood99
Results look excellent jaydee. Notice you topped out at just over a gallon per minute. Is this the limit of your setup???
The limit is set by the water blocks restriction. Here is the max flow rates I got on all the blocks:

DD Maze 4: 9LPM

Nazca No Jet: 8.5LPM

Nazca With Jet: 8.0LPM

MP-1 CPU: 6.5LPM

JFettig Soc7: 6.3LPM

SP-05 Pro: 5.8LPM

JFettig A64: 5.7LPM

IceFloe: 5.5LPM

I stopped at 4LPM because I got data for all 8 blocks at .5, 1, 2 and 4LPM. After that the max flow rates make the chart messy.