Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-30-2003, 01:17 AM   #1
CheeseBall
Cooling Savant

Default Pump relay switch

I have an Antec True550W Power Supply and I think I might as well power the pump with it. So how should I go about doing this? Should I just buy a relay switch and forget it? What do you all suggest?
CheeseBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 01:56 AM   #2
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

I wouldn't. But then again I dont believe in relay switches. Just buy a 110/220V pump (depending on where you are from) and just run the cord outside the case to an outlet. You can then keep the pump running all the time and not have to worry about a relay.

Again, this works for me.
SCSI Raid 5 x (3) Cheetah 15K HDDs
LSI Express 500 (128MB cache)
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
DTEK WhiteWater + DTEK Custom Radiator
Eheim 1250
jtroutma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 02:23 AM   #3
gmat
Thermophile

jroutma: i do not agree: with that solution it's so easy to forget to plug the pump. And it's not elegant, you have the pump wire sticking out...
Cheeseball: most pumps are 110V. All you have to do is to use the back plug on your PSU -> connect a mains wire to the three prongs sticking out of the plug inside the PSU casing. Then use a relay *WITH* a bypass switch.
That way, if your power on your comp, you're 100% sure that your pump is on, and you can as well let the pump run 24/24 or power it on without the PC for those filling / bleeding sessions.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 07:33 AM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I agree with gmat.

It also recently came to me that a bypass switch might come handy, for when one would want to run the pump, without turning on the PC.

I picked up a single outlet, snap in piece. Normally, one would hack a hole in the PSU, and wire it all up (but ya'll know me, I don't do normal )

With an Antec, you may or may not have the room to even do this, so you might have to wire an outlet.

Of course opening up your PSU will void the warranty. The only alternative is to setup an external relay, wire it into a Molex connector, and adding a power cord, just for the pump. Not the most elegant, but it will work.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 09:49 AM   #5
gmat
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k

Of course opening up your PSU will void the warranty.
HaHaHAHA good one BB2K, but you made me laugh at work - looks supect

On most PSUs you can pass the wire through a ventilation hole, just be careful when routing that wire *into* the PSU as there are many burning hot elements there. Use clips, zip ties, be neat & clean. Arrh if i had a camera i'd take photos of my setup so you know how the finished product looks like.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 11:48 AM   #6
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Might wanna pick up a suitable solid state relay off ebay. Bill turned me onto them as a much simpler solution than the relays commonly used.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 02:06 PM   #7
nOv1c3
Crazy Stupid

I picked up parts and peaces from Radioshack

pc relay cat# 275-248
pc board terminals cat# 276-1388
pc board cat# 276-149a
diode cat#276-563

Ripped out a pc mounted female plug out of an old PS

All comes to under $10

Last edited by nOv1c3; 01-30-2003 at 02:11 PM.
nOv1c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 03:30 PM   #8
TerraMex
Cooling Savant

Default Me too.

I use the relay switch system, works like a charm. However i made two small changes .

The original relay diagram is connected directly to a molex plug from the psu, same here but, i added a override switch. And i'm adding a second override switch to the 220v side.

Bottom line is, i can cut the pump power (by flipping the switch and cutting the 12v) or i can override the relay (with the second switch) and maintain the pump operating even with the PC off. Its pretty simple to do.
Unread 01-30-2003, 11:09 PM   #9
CheeseBall
Cooling Savant

Ok, I first must admit I am not experienced with electrical wiring beside wiring house plugs up, and stuff. Although I would like to learn more, and this gives me the chance. Molex sounds nice and easy, but for bleeding I would either have to unhook the ATX power connector from the mobo and "link" a ground w/ the green wire (if I remember right); or get power from somewhere else. So this leaves me with doing something more advanced I suppose. I don't want to get too over my head so I need a simi-simple solution. I would rather not open the PS though if it is the best way to go, I'm ok with it.

So if you could, please refer me to a good site, post a detailed responce, or I could give you my email destination. Whatever you all prefer. I appriciate the help.

(molex w/ override sounds good, to me anyways)

Last edited by CheeseBall; 01-30-2003 at 11:14 PM.
CheeseBall is offline   Reply With Quote