Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 07-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
jackdon
Cooling Neophyte

Default SnapServer 4100

Hi,

I just inherited a Snap Server 4100 with SnapOS 3.4.722. The unit was overheating and shutting down after a few minutes of usage before I got it.

The over heating is due to the CPU fan not functioning. I have clean it and oil it with WD40 so far it seems to be working fine but a bit noisy. Will plan to get a new fan soon as it is difficult to source. Anyway I notice that the way the fan is mounted on the cooling fins and and when the top cover is place on it there is hardly any room for air to flow down from the fan to the fins. The design look poor and overheating would always be a problem.

I plan to drill ventilations holes on the cover directly over the cooling fan area. Well any idea if this would help.

Also if I need to use it with Windows 2003 AD I must upgrade to SnapOS 4.0. Do I get it free of charges or do I have to pay for it. There seems to be so little information on this matter.

Would be great if anyone can put some light on this.

Jackdon.
jackdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: SnapServer 4100

The case fans should take care of the heat that is exhaused from the cpu fan. Adaptec requires you to purchase it.

Remember that this unit does not support large disks, if you were planing on upgrading it.

There is a work around for AD support in the wiki section.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
jontz
Cooling Savant

I have had a 4100 up 24x7 for several months now with no heat problems. In fact, I can hear the CPU fan cycle on and off, telling me that it is cooling itself just fine. Just make sure that about twice a year you shut down, inspect the fans, and clean all the dust out.
Unread 07-12-2006, 03:09 AM   #4
jackdon
Cooling Neophyte

Hi,

Thanks for all your quick replies.

I have check and the fan power out port is not working, so I am using another fan port on the card. I had it running since yesterday. This morning I came in and found the unit off. I reboot it up and check the server log and found out that the CPU tempreture is the problem.

I now notice that the fan sometime stop functioning. So looks like the FAN is out too. Have replaced with a cheap fan from one of my old uit and lets see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Jackdon.
jackdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
mmcool
Cooling Neophyte

For what it's worth, at this late date on this thread, I'm pretty sure I've hit this problem and so have ordered a fan from here:
http://www.northwesttechnical.com/in...4c96d777d0f7b4

Snap Server 4100 CPU Fan

* 12VDC @ 0.10A
* 50mm x 10.4mm
* Various Manufactures

OEM (NWTEC) Part Number: SS4100CPUFAN

This has been a great forum and thanks again for help. Thanks to you I have another old 4100 that is still faithfully coughing up data.

MM
mmcool is offline   Reply With Quote