Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 11-28-2006, 08:41 AM   #1
badbob001
Cooling Neophyte

Default Unsupported file/dir characters?

I have a snapserver 4000 (3.0 os) and I've noticed that I can't copy to it some files if they have special foreign language characters, like asian characters. Has anyone else encountered this? Perhaps the snapserver file system doesn't support unicode characters? Would an os upgrade help?

Thanks.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: Unsupported file/dir characters?

Under the server setup, language settings, you have several options for chr support. You can also add additional fonts by coping them to the right folder. But I don't know which folder. Adaptec/Snap Appliance Knowledge Base may have some info on this.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
badbob001
Cooling Neophyte

I haven't found any info on adding fonts to the snapserver yet, but these articles on adaptec say it usually can't support asian characters. Actually, all the articles shoot down any idea of user customization:

Q: Can Snap Servers accept Chinese character file names?

A: Snap Server currently supports code page 437 US English, 850 Western European, 865 Nordic, and 932 Japanese (SnapOS 2.4). File names with Chinese characters are not supported.

Q: The Snap Server cannot handle files or directories that contain Japanese characters in their name.

Most of Japanese characters seem to be OK, but I found if the file/directory contains some specific Japanese characters, Snap Server does not accept it.

A: The US code for the Snap Server does not have support for Japanese characters.

The Snap Server supports one platform only.

The Japanese characters are supported only in our Japanese version 2.4 of the SnapOS. The Japanese version will only support the standard 127 Roman characters and all data will be lost with the OS conversion.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
jontz
Cooling Savant

And now you know