Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 12-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
joebloggs99

Default Can I install snap_sys.sup on a virgin drive?

Hi!

I have a Snap 1100 with a failed disk. An attempt at copying an image from the disk has rendered the original disk unbootable. I have persuaded Adaptec to provide me with the 4.860 software. Can anyone suggest a method for installing it on a virgin drive that doesn't already have SnapOS on it?
joebloggs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: Can I install snap_sys.sup on a virgin drive?

NO. Check the wiki section for coping a img file to a HD.

The 4.0.860 is just a patch the reason they gave it to you.

The 1100 requires a image file to be RAW copied to the drive. The SUP are OS files and not image files.

If your HD still spins up, you may have a chance, only need 15meg min to boot the snap, then reload the OS.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 03:10 AM   #3
joebloggs99

Thanks for the input. It seems that if I am starting with a virgin drive I need to get an image file to put on it.

This might sail a bit close to the site rules, so please bear with me:

If I can get hold of an 1100 image file that will allow me to boot the disk, I presumably can then load the OS that I have been given by Adaptec (which is a full install, by the way). My disk will then be legitimate and within the copyright rules.

Is this the case?

If so, can anyone help me with an image file?

If not, is this a technical problem, or a legal problem with copyright?

Mike
Unread 12-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #4
blue68f100
Thermophile

To my knowledge Adaptec has not released a full version of 4.0.860 , but it would be nice. If its a complete package you should have 4 other files in with the zip/exe, then read the read me. You will soon find out if you find a image file that will boot your 1100.

As for legalality, we just can't post any links or say I will send you the OS file.

Joe doesn't even want the PM used for this activity. He's trying to keep the site clean, but who can blame him. And we help by doing our own policing. Beside Joe has been kind enough to allow the use of his site.

If so I have to exercise my moderator rights.

Unread 12-19-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
Phoenix32
Thermophile

I cannot confirm or deny, and I can't remember now who it was that told me, but several (like 4 plus) months ago someone told me they had a FULL v4.0.860. So, it is "possible" there is one, but as I said, I cannot confirm or deny. Has anyone seen one and can confirm this?

NO! I AM NOT ASKING ANYONE TO SEND IT OR OTHERWISE BREAK COPYRIGHT.

I am just asking if anyone can confirm it exists or not...
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
joebloggs99

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100
To my knowledge Adaptec has not released a full version of 4.0.860 , but it would be nice. If its a complete package you should have 4 other files in with the zip/exe, then read the read me. You will soon find out if you find a image file that will boot your 1100.

As for legalality, we just can't post any links or say I will send you the OS file.

Joe doesn't even want the PM used for this activity. He's trying to keep the site clean, but who can blame him. And we help by doing our own policing. Beside Joe has been kind enough to allow the use of his site.

If so I have to exercise my moderator rights.
Let's be quite clear: I am not trying to do anything illegal. Adaptec have already refused to fix this unit on a chargeable basis or any other. I am now trying to establish whether there is a legal method by which I can fix my broken unit. If so, great, and any help will be much appreciated. If not, I'll have to put it down to experience (and never buy another Adaptec server), and find a home for a nice black door-stop.

M
Unread 12-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix32
I cannot confirm or deny, and I can't remember now who it was that told me, but several (like 4 plus) months ago someone told me they had a FULL v4.0.860. So, it is "possible" there is one, but as I said, I cannot confirm or deny. Has anyone seen one and can confirm this?

NO! I AM NOT ASKING ANYONE TO SEND IT OR OTHERWISE BREAK COPYRIGHT.

I am just asking if anyone can confirm it exists or not...

I seem to remember the same...

I know theres a 4.0.830 full, as thats what i bought originally...

Im pretty sure theres a 4.0.860 upgrade from V3...

Snap Server 2200 v3.4.807
2x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
w/ UNIDFC601512M Replacement Fan

"Did you really think it would be that easy??"

Other NAS's
1x NSLU2 w/ 512mb Corsair Flash Voyager
Running Unslung 6.8b

1x NSLU2 w/ 8Gb LaCie Carte Orange
Running Debian/NSLU2 Stable 4.0r0

250GB LaCie Ethernet Disk
Running Windows XP Embedded
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
blue68f100
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs99
Let's be quite clear: I am not trying to do anything illegal. Adaptec have already refused to fix this unit on a chargeable basis or any other. I am now trying to establish whether there is a legal method by which I can fix my broken unit. If so, great, and any help will be much appreciated. If not, I'll have to put it down to experience (and never buy another Adaptec server), and find a home for a nice black door-stop.

M
Your entitled to use any means you need to repair your snap. How or where you obtain that does not concern me. Just don't publicize on this site where you obtained copyrighted material.

You can use this site to seek knowledge that you need. That whats forums are used for, to solve problems.

Unread 12-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #9
blue68f100
Thermophile

The last full Snap OS that I'm aware of is v3.4.854 or 3.4.855

Unread 12-20-2006, 06:03 AM   #10
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100

The last full Snap OS that I'm aware of is v3.4.854 or 3.4.855
As Sam said, there is a FULL v4.0.830 for sure...

As for the guy seeking help/info here. I am not sure if we settled it or not, but I will make an assumption that your SNAP has the OS on the drive rather than in flashram. If this is the case, you are going to have to get a boot image copy FROM ANOTHER SNAP SERVER LIKE YOURS or a hard disk with the OS already installed.

Now with that cleared up.

To get a boot image, you either have to get another snap server like yours and do the copying yourself or find someone who is willing to copy theirs and send it to you over the internet, cd, dvd, etc. This is not something Adaptec or Quantum ever made available to my knowledge.

To get a drive with the OS already installed, you either have to buy one from Adaptec (and they are expensive), or get one from someone who can make one for you (has that snap and does the copying for you).

Now all of this assumes the SNAP is functional and it is just a trashed hard disk, and again, the OS is on the hard disk.

Okay, did I answer all the questions and remove the confusion I hope?

If not, then;

YOU CANNOT COPY AN OS .SUP FILE TO A VIRGIN DRIVE... (at least no way I am aware of)

ADAPTEC IS VERY PROTECTIVE OF THEIR COPYRIGHT MATERIAL, EVEN IF THEY WON'T HELP YOU THEMSELVES. THUS, AQUIRING THE COPY OF THE IMAGE FILE, A HARD DISK WITH THE OS INSTALLED, OR EVEN AN OS .SUP FILE MUST BE DONE OUTSIDE OF THIS FORUM TO PROTECT THE FORUM FROM LEGAL CRAP.

AND YES, I AM THE RESIDENT HARD ASS... It's not that we don't want to help or can't help, it is just a simple matter of fact that we have to look out for the best interests of the forum as a whole. We can try to help and tell you what you need, but we cannot provide it or tell you where to get it if it's copyright (legal crap). All you can do is hope someone reads the messages and contacts you.
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #11
joebloggs99

First, please, a little calm. I am willing to pay for a solution to my problem, but Adaptec aren't willing to provide it.

I am aware of the limitations of this site with regard to the illegal distribution of copyright software. I have been trying to establish whether the various solutions suggested are in fact illegal. However, it seems that this isn't the place to discuss it, so I'll not pursue the thread further.

Phoenix32 and others, thank you for your suggestions and other input. For now I will invest in a non-Adaptec server solution and investigate whether I can fix my Snap Server in the fullness of time.

Mike
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #12
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Phoenix? A little calm? Not in this universe... LOL

Mike,

LOL, that is me being calm (you just have to know me a little better). Anywise, my post was not to enflame things, but rather to clear up the "who's on first" that "appeared to be" going on (my apologies if I read it all wrong).

Now with all that said, I myself have a SNAP 1000 that requires the OS on the hard disk. I have no idea if it is compatable with the 1100 with the same issues. I suspect David might know the answer to this. I am however on the west coast USA while you are showing as being in the UK. Sam is in the UK, but I do not know if he has what you need or can do it etc.

Last I heard, SNAP OS v3.4.807 was a free upgrade OS (someone correct me if I am wrong). So copying an image file with that OS should not be a problem to repair someone's failed SNAP Server HD.
Unread 12-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #13
blue68f100
Thermophile

Quote:
Last I heard, SNAP OS v3.4.807 was a free upgrade OS (someone correct me if I am wrong). So copying an image file with that OS should not be a problem to repair someone's failed SNAP Server HD.
The main problem is that Adaptec has not been consistant on releasing the 807. Sometimes they say the HW is to old, other times they pass it on (send a link). I think if it's a current model they sometimes release it. It would be nice if they would release the v3 to all. So to answer you question, Yes/No, remember the image file still contains the copyrighted OS, just not in the form of a std file. If you own the snap you are entitled to the version that came on it, and any updates that you did.

As for what works on a 1100, most every time I'm wrong. Most will use the 2200 image file or is it Most will use the 1000 image file. No it's "Most will use the ##00 image file". re3dyb0Y should have it, he has that model of snap.

Unread 01-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #14
joebloggs99

Hi everyone

Thanks to some suggestions made here, and a bit of digging, I have now managed to get a new drive installed and working in my Snap 1100. Thanks to everyone who chipped in. If I can help in some way in return please get in touch.

Joe