Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 12-06-2000, 11:26 PM   #1
Miss_Man
Cooling Savant

Default Why did my CPU got stuck to my slotket?

In order to prevent condensation, I filled the slotket pin holes with non conductive thermal grease. When I wanted to remove my CPU from the slotket, it got stuck. After yanking it out, I broke a pin. Now why did that happen?
Miss_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2000, 11:59 PM   #2
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

That happened to me once... I had silicone in the socket though. You probably put something adhesive in there... sux about the CPU . Use vaseline in there, and BTW keep your mind outa the gutter on that one...
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2000, 12:43 AM   #3
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

Well if you know anything, you'd know that vaseline sucks as the "gutter thought". But thats what I used after I took off a peltier that was getting the CPU down to 59F, saw a little corrsion and then pulled out the vaseline and proceeded to coat the socket, then later I sealed the inner edge with RTV and I found my Foamie Sheets I picked up for some stupid art project and I'll proably slap that on the back of the board the next time I rip my computer apart or if I get money for a new peliter.

------------------
Watercooled K6-2 450 at 600
mfpmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2000, 07:47 PM   #4
Memphis
Cooling Neophyte

Did you post the same thing on www.overclockers.com.au?

Anyway, that problem probably occured because there was too much of a vacuum created when you pushed the CPU pins into the thermal grease. So removing it proved a problem and caused you to break the pin.

Next time use di-electric grease. If you need to remove the chip again, try heating it up a bit with a hair dryer to help with removal.

Cheers

Memphis

[This message has been edited by Memphis (edited 12-07-2000).]
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2000, 09:40 AM   #5
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Quote:
Originally posted by Memphis:
Did you post the same thing on www.overclockers.com.au?

Anyway, that problem probably occured because there was too much of a vacuum created when you pushed the CPU pins into the thermal grease. So removing it proved a problem and caused you to break the pin.

Next time use di-electric grease. If you need to remove the chip again, try heating it up a bit with a hair dryer to help with removal.
Cheers
Memphis
Wow cool, learn something new everyday!

A friend of mine had silicone "grease" from his DSS dish install kit, and didn't know it was really an RTV type silicone. he thought it just stayed in a gel form and wouldn't turn to a solid.

Well he coated his socket with it, pushed the CPU in... and that's the end of that story, tried to pry the cpu out and destroyed the mobo, cpu, and socket. Nice eh? thank god it was a just a lil fun we were having trying to super cool a Pentium 233MMX and OC it to 300

------------------
C-ya
Joe - Owner/Editor www.ProCooling.com
Where the Completely Addicted Come to Cool Off

Somebody set up us the bomb.

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 12-08-2000).]
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2000, 02:58 AM   #6
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Memphis, good call!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote