Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-06-2002, 11:08 AM   #1
ECUPirate
Hottest Stank of them All

Default Watercooled once again... this time even better... :)

Well, I've replaced my AMD rig w/ a P4 2.2 & RDRAM, and this of course entailed switching the tops on my maze 3. Let me tell you a little about that...

I had a lucite top w/ countersunk screw holes (one of the 1st tops out), and I replaced it w/ a 478 copper top. I asked for the wrench for the top's screws. Well, the wrench they sent fit the new pan head screws, but not the old screws, and I didn't have an Allen wrench that would! Ironically, I already had an Allen wrench that would fit so new screws... oh well.
So, after I solved that problem, I go to install the barbs on the new copper top, and let me tell you, those little sonsabitches fit tight. Really tight. I got one barb in OK (w/ teflon, of course), but the other only went in a little ways before it kicked out, taking a couple of the copper threads w/ it. ....screwed again. After looking all over town for pipe tap & die sets, I called up my Dad. Long story short, I used a 1/2" 20 thread tap for my 1/2" 18 thread barb... and a vise and a really big wrench. It eventually worked.
So, now my CPU is cooled, AND my Asus GF3 ti200 deluxe. For the GPU, I used the GF3 block from DDen. I removed the old ram sinks, only to find that no thermal compound was used, and that the sinks were rough enough on the bottom to file your nails. I just happened to have this big old heatsink on hand, so I cut it up to fit my gf3. It has fins about an inch long . I also used AAlum. Temps are much better, and OC is much higher... the highest that powerstrip will allow! 233/533, up from 175/400.

Temps: P4 2.2 @ 2.64 @ 1.85 (not yet tweaked): 42 idle, mid 40s load, down from 60s.
GPU at max clock: 32-40C, down from almost 60C.

my pimpin' rig: ...previously poorly cooled...
486DX-2 66mhz @ 75mhz, 4Mb ram, shared, 256Mb hard drive
Onboard VGA, watercooled, of course
16-color monitor, labtec speakers, 28kbs USRobotics modem
Windows XP (think about it)
Maze 3, DDen GF3 block, Eheim 1250, econoline van HC, 1/2" hose w/ 5/8" fittings Comair 172mm fan
ECUPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2002, 01:30 PM   #2
FRAGN'STIEN
Cooling Savant

YIKES well glad to see it's up and glad to see your back
Unread 07-06-2002, 01:48 PM   #3
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Excellent work Ecu, you're the man!!!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2002, 02:48 PM   #4
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

breaking the hole was prolly due to a small burr on the top of the hole, when you screwed in the fittings, you prolly noticed that the fitting tried to go in at an agle. and when it got to bound up, it broke, or poped out. either tapping the holes a little deeper, or running a de-burr tool or chamfer bit would have fixed this.

but glad you got it fixed.
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2002, 04:29 PM   #5
ECUPirate
Hottest Stank of them All

yeah.. I was actually able to get the barb to start straight. I just had to use so much force to turn it that I probably helped it kick itself out. I don't really have any bits or complicated tools, as I don't have a garage & live in a condo. (a Dremel, a jigsaw, and a drill do 95% of what I need )

update.. temps on my GF3 actually are 32 idle, 36 load, at max clock speed...

FSB now at 123 x 22.... 125 ran benches OK, but my games shut down frequently. ... on a abit TH72-R, BTW. Samsung PC800 16 device 256 x 2. Got the chip from Intel's IPD program for like $185 (2.2A)... a few weeks ago... the 1st one wouldn't OC for shite so I sent it back (I think I complained about random lockups, or something nebulous like that...).
Intel ships orders the same day, using FREE 2 day air. When I called asking for an RMA, the new part arrived the next day, for free, and there was a 2 day air return label included. No restocking fee, even though the chip was OK. Beat that.

my pimpin' rig: ...previously poorly cooled...
486DX-2 66mhz @ 75mhz, 4Mb ram, shared, 256Mb hard drive
Onboard VGA, watercooled, of course
16-color monitor, labtec speakers, 28kbs USRobotics modem
Windows XP (think about it)
Maze 3, DDen GF3 block, Eheim 1250, econoline van HC, 1/2" hose w/ 5/8" fittings Comair 172mm fan
ECUPirate is offline   Reply With Quote