Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 05-05-2003, 10:32 PM   #1
CheeseBall
Cooling Savant

Default Max weight of WaterBlock

OK, if I recall correctly the AMD approved weight is up to 400 grams (correct?). I think my block is quite abit heavier, it's very similar to cathars, but alil different. I haven't had a descent way of weighing it yet so I don't know.

So what is the max weight (w/ out water of course) my waterblock can safely be. I would like to be able to take it to a LAN game. But I guess give me max weight if (1) not moving case around very much. (2) going to a lan game every month of 2 (w/ out removing block of course).

Thanks for you input, and experience.
CheeseBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2003, 10:41 PM   #2
Cathar
Thermophile

Official maximum weight is 300g.

I feel that many waterblocks can get away with being somewhat heavier because they typically sit so low and close to the CPU and don't have huge honking heavy fans hanging off. They have tubing instead, but so long as the tubing is supported in some way (not dragging off the waterblock) then you're pretty safe.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2003, 10:49 PM   #3
CheeseBall
Cooling Savant

Thanks for the info Cathar. I'll post an approximate weight ASAP. But I'm worried it's going to be like 500 grams lol . We'll see.
Unread 05-06-2003, 12:38 AM   #4
LiquidRulez
Cooling Savant

The one I have on my Pally now , weighs in at a hefty 512g. and havent had any problems with it since I put it on there 6 months or so ago.
So I think you'll be alright. As Cathar said, the center of mass is much closer to the CPU die on a WB, as apposed to an air HSF.
I dont know if I would try it using the socket lugs though...not sure if they can handle it
Unread 05-06-2003, 05:13 AM   #5
JCYC5
Cooling Savant

Isn't the AMD max weight quoted for using the clip design?

if your waterblock is a bolt-through, I think the max weight will be a lot higher...
JCYC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2003, 11:23 AM   #6
CheeseBall
Cooling Savant

Good to know, I think I will still machine some material out of the top and bottom (making it kinda hour class like).

Liquid Rulez, are you using a shim? How many WCers use shims?

Can't wait to post pics!
Unread 05-06-2003, 12:52 PM   #7
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Location: 4-sided room with an exit going east, and an exit going south

I use a shim, as well as the bolt-thru mount technique.
JSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2003, 03:33 PM   #8
LiquidRulez
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by CheeseBall
Good to know, I think I will still machine some material out of the top and bottom (making it kinda hour class like).

Liquid Rulez, are you using a shim? How many WCers use shims?

Can't wait to post pics!
Nope. No shim for me........
Unread 05-06-2003, 03:35 PM   #9
hara
Cooling Savant

Shims are evil. They prevent adequate contact with the core. I had one but don't use it anymore.
- FMZ
hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2003, 05:28 PM   #10
CheeseBall
Cooling Savant

I got my block weighed in. And it is 565grams +or- 10g (1.24 pounds). I think I can get rid of 60g by machining some more metal off like I mentioned earlier, but man it's a massive mahmajahma.

-Bryan
Unread 05-06-2003, 06:48 PM   #11
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by CheeseBall
I got my block weighed in. And it is 565grams +or- 10g (1.24 pounds). I think I can get rid of 60g by machining some more metal off like I mentioned earlier, but man it's a massive mahmajahma.

-Bryan
If you are using something like 1/4" copper bar for the top you can mill it down to 1/8" and just leave the area alone where the barbs go in. That will remove a lot of weight. Only reason to use 1/4" or more for the top is for the barb threads anyway.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2003, 09:09 PM   #12
joemac
Cooling Savant

I think that the Max weight Spec given are for a heat sink mounted on to the socket itself.
joemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2003, 10:06 PM   #13
CheeseBall
Cooling Savant

Yes Jaydee I have done this already ; although now that you bring it up again, I could go down even further... hmmm do I want to. Err now I have to decide on this too, I was hoping to have EVERYTHING done by tommorrow, well might have to keep on it another day or so.
Unread 05-07-2003, 02:47 AM   #14
msv
Cooling Savant

Ooops...
I thouht that the weight spec. only regarded HS/WB hanging from the socket lugs. I considered my bolted-through-the-motherboard DD Maze3 safe no matter its weight.
Or have I misunderstood it all again?
regards
Mikael S.
msv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2003, 04:14 AM   #15
theetruscan
Cooling Neophyte

It was my understanding that the max weight was for the socket tabs not for "through the motherboard" mounting.

Also, the warning states that extra care should be taken when moving a computer with a HS that exceeds the max weight. It doesn't state that it is dangerous when not moved. Just lugging the box around is dangerous.
theetruscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2003, 11:43 PM   #16
CheeseBall
Cooling Savant

Yes, as you have all stated, we know it's for the tabs. But isn't that all we have to go by? They don't have a spec when using the mounting holes, do they? And the mounting holes would probably only add 100grams to the max allowed weight.

Anyways, after Jaydee mentioned what he did, he made me realize I could take alot more off of where I already had (dunno why I didn't the first time.). And I took off probably 100 grams, hoping so anyways.

Edit: after machining some useless metal off, the block is now down to 485.8g. I think I could take another 50g off, easily, if I felt it neccessary, but I doubt I will.

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by CheeseBall; 05-08-2003 at 02:19 PM.