Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 07-31-2002, 12:07 PM   #1
Exodius
Cooling Neophyte

Cutting Blowholes-HElP!!!

HELP ME
i've been reading up alot about case modding and have just been thinkin bout modding my case. i'm first thinkin bout adding a couple of fan/blowholes to thes ide of my case and work from there. I was just wonderin if some veterans out tehre could let me know if this is a hell of a hard job, 'cuz i'm expecting this to not take me a couple of years. maybe a few hours. If anybody could let me know a little more info about adding blow hole or give me urls i would greatly appreciate it!!
Exodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2002, 12:55 PM   #2
Sanjuro
Cooling Neophyte

Toturials like that are all over the net, just search for blow hole tutorial on google and you'd end up with a bunch. Read em' all and you'd get a good idea. Most likely you would either need a dremel or jig saw, but if you have a hole saw for the job thats even better.
Unread 08-06-2002, 01:41 AM   #3
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

Sanjuro is correct.

Dremel, jigsaw, or holesaw.

With either of them, you will want it held down tightly, especially with the holesaw. Also, with the holesaw, put a piece of wood under the metal to aid in stability while drilling.

Holesaw is best due to being the quickest & easiest & the nicest result (as long as it's clamped down well).
Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 07:54 AM   #4
Rob C
Cooling Neophyte

I've only ever used a dremel, but I've done loads of blowholes and I've got it down to about a half hour now to cut and clean up - the first one though will probably take a while and might not look great. If you're gonna use a dremel just remember that the lack of an guide means your holes probably won't be perfectly round to start off with (though with practice you can get them looking pretty smart), so you might want to practice on some spare metal, or an old case or something. And if looks a bit rough just add some blowhole trim.

When using a dremel, use any sort of cutoff wheels (normal, heavy duty, or reinforced), and take it slow - if you try and cut too fast you'll see sparks flying and you'll burn through discs in no time. You should be able to cut a 120mm hole with one (maybe two) discs - any more and you ought to cut slower. Then use any type of grinding/sanding bit to smooth off the cuts. Have fun modding
Rob C is offline   Reply With Quote