Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-21-2004, 08:56 PM   #1
rj2
Cooling Neophyte

Flushed my system-now for the ?`s

i have a DD maze3,eheim 1250,86 chev core,acrylic res 14 " high.
i ran out and bought the pinesol & lysol & some more distilled water.i roughly followed the ratios & filled it back up.after about 5 minutes the crap started coming loose.there was stuff floating around in res like crazy.i half drained it & added more water to the mix.the not full lines really got scoured this way.only problem i had was the dam smell. my wife chewed me out for that one ) .what i cant figure out is what caused the bacteria to grow in the 1st place.i use approx 95% distilled 5% glycol.
what would be a recommended antibacterial agent???
thnx
rj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2004, 09:15 PM   #2
tofu
Cooling Neophyte

i read somewhere that someone used anti-biotic pills and grinded them up. i suppose you could grind up some cipro and throw it in there? atleast there wont be SARS in your water...
tofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2004, 10:15 PM   #3
Titan151
Cooling Savant

You may have something inside one of your components that you used in the past. Perhaps you could take everything out and inspect each item. Clean everything seperately with DW and then let it air dry. Now once everything is clean and has dried properly start off using just distilled water then add other ingrediants as needed. I am not sure if the glycol is needed unless you are running a chiller or something else that would create a need for antifreeze.

Also, when you say bacteria, what exactly is it that you are seeeing? I only ask this as I have yet to experiance any bacteria problems of my own and I have run quite a few different things through my system. I am willing to bet that something in your system is contaminated and is causing the solution to become contaminated. Either that or there is an issue with the glycol you are using.

Hope this response is of some help. Hope you get rid of the gunk!
2 Gigs Corsair 3200
7800 GTX
Titan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
Razor6
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan151
You may have something inside one of your components that you used in the past. Perhaps you could take everything out and inspect each item. Clean everything seperately with DW and then let it air dry. Now once everything is clean and has dried properly start off using just distilled water then add other ingrediants as needed. I am not sure if the glycol is needed unless you are running a chiller or something else that would create a need for antifreeze.

Also, when you say bacteria, what exactly is it that you are seeeing? I only ask this as I have yet to experiance any bacteria problems of my own and I have run quite a few different things through my system. I am willing to bet that something in your system is contaminated and is causing the solution to become contaminated. Either that or there is an issue with the glycol you are using.

Hope this response is of some help. Hope you get rid of the gunk!
I've been running the same fill of water for over a year now. The water is Dejablue purified drinking water, was it a good idea to use it I don't know. I also added the recommended ammount of WaterWetter, about 2 cap fulls per 1.5L I think. My tubing has a buildup inside but I'm not sure if it's mineral buildup or something living, it hasn't increased in ammount since it first appeared several months after the system was filled. If the buildup is inorganic then maybe something like WW would be a good additive, my water doesn't smell foul.
Razor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2004, 12:57 AM   #5
Titan151
Cooling Savant

You could consider changing out the tubing. I am not 100% on this but I think I have heard that WW can leave a slight residue behind. I use it along with anti-freeze and have not had any problems. Unless you have nice Tygon stufff this is a pretty easy thing to do with a trip to a hardware store.

If it is bacteria, there is a good chance that allowing everything to dry out will kill it. This may be somewhat of a pain as the Heater Core can take time.
2 Gigs Corsair 3200
7800 GTX
Titan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
rj2
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan151
You could consider changing out the tubing. I am not 100% on this but I think I have heard that WW can leave a slight residue behind. I use it along with anti-freeze and have not had any problems. Unless you have nice Tygon stufff this is a pretty easy thing to do with a trip to a hardware store.

If it is bacteria, there is a good chance that allowing everything to dry out will kill it. This may be somewhat of a pain as the Heater Core can take time.
thnx for replies.i do use tygon tubing.perhaps it is`nt bacteria,but whatever it was is gone now.this was`nt the 1st time it had been drained and refilled.is it possible the uv dye would cause this.i will keep a closer eye on it now,thats for sure
rj2 is offline   Reply With Quote