Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-11-2003, 02:26 AM   #26
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

You could always get some body filler & make those wrinkles vanish

I'd say it could use a bit of filler, sanding, then high-gloss paint

If you need any more info, look up how to make speaker pods, etc... for car audio. They usually use fleece stretched over forms, then add the resin, sand, body filler, sand, & paint or cover with material of choice, i.e. vinyl, tweed, etc...
Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2003, 03:01 AM   #27
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

I know, it is actually how I came up with this way of doing it. "HOTROD building"
Unread 06-12-2003, 04:49 AM   #28
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

I've used a few auto-body techniques to mod a frame for a 5" LCD into the front of my pc. My current jug of resin is already set aside for use in fixing the rust holes in the bottom of my doors though
Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 12:11 PM   #29
Blackeagle
Thermophile

As someone who has never done any auto body work, but who admires your shroud work very much.

Could you please explain where you got your materials, care needed in handling ect. in your article for Joe? I've never worked with resins of plastic (or any other type unless epoxy counts). I'll be really looking forward to reading and making use of it. I have a 2-342 single pass rad that I was going to just make a boxy shroud from plexi for, but this would be both more attractive and better performing.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 12:16 PM   #30
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Do you apply the resin to both inside and outside? How fast does the stuff set up?
Unread 06-16-2003, 12:45 PM   #31
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

yeh #rotor where is that article?! hehehe

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 01:06 PM   #32
morephyous
Cooling Neophyte

Here is a commercial composite shroud:
http://www.overclex.net/content.php3...php3%3Fid%3D59
morephyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 01:21 PM   #33
Joe

Yeh thats a CF look shroud... so its bound to be lots of money.

Unread 06-16-2003, 09:09 PM   #34
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

the only thing outstanding on it, the way it is on that page right now, it the final touches, and a core to slap it on to, my budget is a wee bit tight right now, and that is the only reason I have not yet gotten around to acquiring a core for this, Something I desperately want to get anyhow... I do feel there is more than enough information to make any DIYer real happy....

If you feel it to be good, please have at it. or do you want me to dump it all into a text file. I unfortunately got rather confident with PHP and Mysql and now I suddenly find myself not remembering how I ever was able to code html...
Unread 06-16-2003, 09:20 PM   #35
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

Blackeagle.... sorry for not getting to ya sooner.... polymer resin is very much the same a epoxy, just a bit more runnier, more like maple syrup... it has a catalyst that will make it cure, and obviously the more catalyst you add, the faster it cures ( about 30 to 45 minutes on a nice warm day., longer if it's colder) ...

Don't drink it, (DOH ) and don't smear it in your eyes or ears other than that, dropping the bucket on the carpet, WILL get you very close to a near death experience, so steer clear from that one
Unread 06-16-2003, 09:54 PM   #36
Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by #Rotor
the only thing outstanding on it, the way it is on that page right now, it the final touches, and a core to slap it on to, my budget is a wee bit tight right now, and that is the only reason I have not yet gotten around to acquiring a core for this, Something I desperately want to get anyhow... I do feel there is more than enough information to make any DIYer real happy....

If you feel it to be good, please have at it. or do you want me to dump it all into a text file. I unfortunately got rather confident with PHP and Mysql and now I suddenly find myself not remembering how I ever was able to code html...
just type it up in word, note which images go where, and send the images and the DOC file in a ZIP to me. ( sorta important to keep the images out of the DOC file... makes importing much easier)

Unread 06-16-2003, 11:06 PM   #37
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by #Rotor
Blackeagle.... sorry for not getting to ya sooner.... polymer resin is very much the same a epoxy, just a bit more runnier, more like maple syrup... it has a catalyst that will make it cure, and obviously the more catalyst you add, the faster it cures ( about 30 to 45 minutes on a nice warm day., longer if it's colder) ...

Don't drink it, (DOH ) and don't smear it in your eyes or ears other than that, dropping the bucket on the carpet, WILL get you very close to a near death experience, so steer clear from that one
I think I'd rather use the wife's new in the package stockings than damage her new sculpted carpet, I MIGHT survive that.

Thanks for the response Rotor. Where are good places to buy? Any suggested brand?

Thanks again,

BE
Unread 06-17-2003, 12:48 PM   #38
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I picked up a blower from a Grand Marquis today, from a used part shop in my area. Next is the fiberglass shroud for it
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2003, 04:05 PM   #39
Cova
Cooling Savant

You guys may or may not find this interesting... It has pictures and descriptions of a NICE audio install in an RSX - may pick up some tips on building fiberglass shrouds and such (there is a LOT of fiberglass work done in this)

http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/html....html?par=p1c1
Cova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2003, 10:21 PM   #40
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Yep, that's how I picked up on it!

At the time, I was into scale modeling, and needed a way to make custom shapes.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2003, 10:10 PM   #41
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

Joe YGPM!
Unread 02-12-2005, 09:16 PM   #42
Cowinacape
Cooling Neophyte

Default are you still around #Rotor? Quick question re: your shrouds

Howdy,

Just curious, I have read through your article a few times now, but I am left with one (for now) question, did the acrylic sheeting remain attached to the laid up resin, after you where done? (ie: did the acrylic become a part od the final construction, or was it (the acrylic) removed after the resin dried?

Great article, provided some good inspiration for my current project. Thanks for taking the time to put it together for us!
Cowinacape is offline   Reply With Quote