Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 12-27-2004, 02:22 PM   #401
malbulger
Cooling Neophyte

thanks for that,

i have done a full reset on it ( 4 button presses incidently!) and now i get another combination of flashes which does not fit the manual at all .... system light once every second and disk light twice a second ,,, network intermittant (broadcasting presumably) and link light solid.

i have dropped misterbills image onto a second hdd and tried that but it is the same response from the snap

any one seen this before?
malbulger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2004, 05:09 PM   #402
INT 20h
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbulger
thanks for that,

i have done a full reset on it ( 4 button presses incidently!) and now i get another combination of flashes which does not fit the manual at all .... system light once every second and disk light twice a second ,,, network intermittant (broadcasting presumably) and link light solid.

i have dropped misterbills image onto a second hdd and tried that but it is the same response from the snap

any one seen this before?
Ok...let's see that I have this right...
System light=1/s
Link light=solid
network=intermittent
disk=2/s

System light on once a second is a running system as far as everything I've encountered. If the disk light is running twice a second constantly, that could be a bad spot on the disk, but I'm not swearing to it. I'm assuming you tried the Snap assist software and you've tried switching network cables and tried the web interface since you got the new pattern. Oh, that's something else...just on the off chance, if you know or can figure out the IP address, try port scanning it. That'll tell you if it's alive on the network end, not necessarily working, but at least alive. Ok...something you might try would be to connect the Snap directly to your machine using a crossover cable and then trying to hit it with Assist. If you can get Assist to see it and at least do a partial configuration, you can then push one of Snap's SUP files to it to rebuild the operating system. I had a Snap come through here not all that long ago with that problem (there was only enough OS to boot it but that was it...no web interface or anything else).
INT 20h
INT 20h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2004, 08:12 PM   #403
malbulger
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks again.

OK this is the situation.

System light=1/s
Link light=solid
network=intermittent
disk=2/s

have used several lan cables and different ports on the router , no joy
have tried snap assist , nothing found.
i have run ethereal and sniffed the network whilst running a cross-over between my laptop and the snap , there is nothing what so ever coming out of the snap , all packets are arps and elections from the laptop ONLY
i imaged and re-imaged a few times with the file 2200.bin off misterbills site...

now maybe i have done this wrong , but i booted into knoppix and dd 'd the binary to the hdd of what was an ntfs drive , should i have de-partitioned the drive and formatted it in ext 2/3 ? or is it OK to leave it as ntfs , i would assume that dd just over writes the boot sector and gets the thing bootable ...

could it be the size of the drives it is complaining about ? i am trying it with 20gb hdd at the moment to see if i can get it up and running

mal
Unread 12-27-2004, 08:34 PM   #404
misterbill
Cooling Neophyte

Have you tried it on both IDE ports.
I had trouble at first and swapped the drive to the other IDE connector and it worked.
I then was able to add a second drive and now I can put them on either connector.
I don't know if that makes any sense but then again a lot about these things don't make sense.
Also depending on the drive I was using I had to change the jumpers to specify it as a single drive.
misterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 09:12 AM   #405
malbulger
Cooling Neophyte

i have not done that i will try it ! ... good idea

cheers
Unread 12-28-2004, 02:56 PM   #406
malbulger
Cooling Neophyte

ok,

i have tried the second ide port and i get the same response , twice a second flash on the disk light ... i tried moving the jumpers (they were set to single drive master) , swapped to slave .. not detected , swappd to cable select , same problem twice a second flash

the only thing i have not done exactly to to your instructions misterbill is i dumped the binary to the drive using knoppix with the drive setup via an external usb caddy and not via an internal ide port , should tthis really make any difference ..??

any more ideas folks ...!
Unread 12-28-2004, 11:01 PM   #407
INT 20h
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbulger
ok,

i have tried the second ide port and i get the same response , twice a second flash on the disk light ... i tried moving the jumpers (they were set to single drive master) , swapped to slave .. not detected , swappd to cable select , same problem twice a second flash

the only thing i have not done exactly to to your instructions misterbill is i dumped the binary to the drive using knoppix with the drive setup via an external usb caddy and not via an internal ide port , should tthis really make any difference ..??

any more ideas folks ...!
An external USB caddy shouldn't make that much difference. Just out of curiosity, how much do you know of the history of this server (i.e. original OS version, BIOS version, etc)? I have an image for a 1000 if you want to try that. I pretty sure it's SnapOS 3.4.803. I've heard of people mixing images for different snaps with varied success.
INT 20h
Unread 12-29-2004, 01:32 PM   #408
malbulger
Cooling Neophyte

i have not tried a 1000 image . just misterbills 2200 , i dont know anything about the server at all , i bought it second hand with no drives in it hoping i could get it working, it seems functional but something is awry with the imaging process i think ... i am >< this close !

thks
Unread 12-29-2004, 01:34 PM   #409
malbulger
Cooling Neophyte

oops , INT 20h if you can let me try the 1000 image i would be grateful , let me know how to get it off line (PM me ) thks
Unread 01-03-2005, 11:23 PM   #410
drbillc
Cooling Neophyte

Default 1000 -> 2000 reconfig

This ties into an earlier post of reconfiguring your 1000 -> 2000 model. While poking around in debug I tried the following:

Code:
Command: bios model

Model Byte currently is:
    0 -  2 drive IDE:  "Minnie"
==> 1 -  1 drive IDE:  "Mortie"
    2 -  4 drive IDE:  "Laser"
    3 - 12 drive IDE:  "Clipper"
The default setting (under OS v3.4.803) for a 1000 is "Mortie".

Evidently, if the hardware supports it, you can bump it up to support even more drives

Just my inflation adjusted $0.02.

Bill
drbillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 01:43 AM   #411
INT 20h
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbillc
This ties into an earlier post of reconfiguring your 1000 -> 2000 model. While poking around in debug I tried the following:

Code:
Command: bios model

Model Byte currently is:
    0 -  2 drive IDE:  "Minnie"
==> 1 -  1 drive IDE:  "Mortie"
    2 -  4 drive IDE:  "Laser"
    3 - 12 drive IDE:  "Clipper"
The default setting (under OS v3.4.803) for a 1000 is "Mortie".

Evidently, if the hardware supports it, you can bump it up to support even more drives

Just my inflation adjusted $0.02.

Bill

I wonder what would happen if one were to drop in eight drives in a four drive model and set the bios for a 12 drive clipper model? Let me know what happens if anyone out there is brave enough to try it (or has already tried it).
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:19 AM   #412
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

It would probably work using a multi-head ide cable, the only problem would be the power supply, probably not enough to handle!!

On Knoppix 3.6 still got problems. The snap server drive wont mount. when i type dmesg| grep hd for hdl (snap server drive) it says unknown partition table. Also when i try to make the image, the windows drives (ie what i use in my windows machine) are read only. Anyone any ideas?
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 10:36 PM   #413
INT 20h
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
It would probably work using a multi-head ide cable, the only problem would be the power supply, probably not enough to handle!!

On Knoppix 3.6 still got problems. The snap server drive wont mount. when i type dmesg| grep hd for hdl (snap server drive) it says unknown partition table. Also when i try to make the image, the windows drives (ie what i use in my windows machine) are read only. Anyone any ideas?
It's been a while since I used Knoppix but if memory serves, I think you have to unmount your Windows partitions and remount them as read/write (I believe it has something to do with the mount command). I think Knoppix defaults to mounting partitions as read only.
Unread 01-06-2005, 02:28 PM   #414
J4YD06
Cooling Neophyte

Ok I just updates my 4100 to 4.0.830, and added 4 250gig drives to it. It only sees 130gig of these drives the log says:

01/06/2005 14:14:08 5 D SYS | IDE: A 48 bit LBA capable Hard Drive was detected ...
01/06/2005 14:14:08 5 D SYS | IDE: 48 bit LBA is not supported on 4100 and 12000 platforms.
01/06/2005 14:14:08 5 D SYS | IDE: Setting the hard drive size to maximum addressable by 28 bits: 131071 MBytes.

I tried the ide 48bitLBACounter reset and ide 48bitLBACounter reset returns 'IDE 48 bit LBA hits: 0' then reinit drives and still get the same stuff.

Has anyone figured this out yet on the 4100's?
J4YD06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #415
johnodon
Cooling Neophyte

dupe dupe dupe

Last edited by johnodon; 01-09-2005 at 10:23 AM. Reason: dupe
johnodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2005, 09:23 AM   #416
johnodon
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4YD06
Ok I just updates my 4100 to 4.0.830, and added 4 250gig drives to it. It only sees 130gig of these drives the log says:

01/06/2005 14:14:08 5 D SYS | IDE: A 48 bit LBA capable Hard Drive was detected ...
01/06/2005 14:14:08 5 D SYS | IDE: 48 bit LBA is not supported on 4100 and 12000 platforms.
01/06/2005 14:14:08 5 D SYS | IDE: Setting the hard drive size to maximum addressable by 28 bits: 131071 MBytes.

I tried the ide 48bitLBACounter reset and ide 48bitLBACounter reset returns 'IDE 48 bit LBA hits: 0' then reinit drives and still get the same stuff.

Has anyone figured this out yet on the 4100's?
We are in the same boat J4Y.

I have a 705N that I converted to a 4100 and upgraded to SNAP OS 4.0.854. The info on my SNAp is as follows:

Software Version: 4.0.854
Hardware Version: 2.2.1
BIOS Version: 2.4.437

I currently have 4 x 120gb drives installed but I have 4 x 250gb drives sitting here staring me in the face. I am reluctant to try and upgrade the drives...not so much because of data loss...more because of the time involved (especially formatting). From what I have read so far, it seems the the 4100's are teh problem children.

I think I am gonna sit tight until one of teh *smarter* guys figures out what the deal is withteh 4100's!

John
johnodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2005, 04:36 PM   #417
cringer
Cooling Neophyte

Default ver. 3.4.805 requested

Greetings,
Do you still have a copy of the 3.4.805 software that you were able to download?
If so, can I get a copy of it? I have a 4000 I would love to upgrade, and I'd like to eliminate as many obstacles as possible.

Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoP
After reading the forum I've replaced the original four 30GB Quantum HD with 160 and 300 GB Maxtor drives on Snap Server 4000 with success .

Info about my system:

Model: 4000 series
Software: 3.4.803 (US)
Hardware: 2.0.1
BIOS: 2.0.252

I was lucky to download the software version 3.4.805 when was avaiable on Snap Appliance site. Now, as you know, there is only v.3.4.803 .
Apparently the only difference between the two versions is the 48 bit hd support with the IDE command.

Conclusion: the subrelease 3.4.805, that was removed from Snap site, must be installed to solve the 130GB limit without buying the very expensive version 4.

MarcoP
cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2005, 11:58 AM   #418
HLouie
Cooling Neophyte

Default SnapServer 1000 Power Supply

To Forum Readers

I've found an old Snap Server 1000 with no power supply. Could someone out there EM the information on an existing power supply?

Thank-you
HLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #419
Goofball
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLouie
To Forum Readers

I've found an old Snap Server 1000 with no power supply. Could someone out there EM the information on an existing power supply?

Thank-you
The one I have sitting here for a Snap! 1000:

Made by ILAN Elec. Ltd.
Model F1670K
AC Input: 100-240V @ 1.2A Max
Fuse Rating: F2A/250V or 300V
DC Output: 12V @ 3.5A

Neither the Snap or the power supply list whether it is Tip +/-

I just looked and Radio Shack doesn't have anything that comes near 3.5A output on their website. I would try finding something on Google.
Goofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2005, 10:19 AM   #420
rami
Cooling Neophyte

all the following snap servers (other than rack mount models) can use the same power supply

1000, 1100, 2000, 2200

the rack mount models use a standard computer power cords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball
The one I have sitting here for a Snap! 1000:

Made by ILAN Elec. Ltd.
Model F1670K
AC Input: 100-240V @ 1.2A Max
Fuse Rating: F2A/250V or 300V
DC Output: 12V @ 3.5A

Neither the Snap or the power supply list whether it is Tip +/-

I just looked and Radio Shack doesn't have anything that comes near 3.5A output on their website. I would try finding something on Google.
rami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #421
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

I had to get a replacement power supply from here: http://www.watt-power.co.uk/
All i needed extra was a power adapter supply.
Look for a supplier of phihong parts. My Snap 2200 uses a PSA60W-120.
As long as its the correct voltage and over on the amps and wattage, ull be fine.

http://www.sdtimes.com/news/021/emb3.htm
A quote from here about the Snap Server Java Element: ' Instead, the company wants third-party developers, as well as enterprises, to be able to customize the Snap Servers for specific applications, modify its user interface or add new functionality.'
This was in 2001, with Snap OS v3. We've got V4, so wheres this then?? And where can we get Java Apps for it??

Are we going to create a proper web page to summarise this info into, to make the data more accessible for people? I know it was mentioned before, but nothing materialised. Has anyone any webspace that they can let us use? Or Joe would you let us host it on your site? Because then we can sort of organise it into Snap OS problems, hardware problems, imaging, i do has a mass of documentation, some from the snap site which would be useful for people. Could people please post if they want to help here, and we could create sort of a help desk type thing using the forums (if Joe wouldn't mind). Im really appealing to people with web design experience, and also people who are in the know about snap servers, i.e. myself, Rami, misterbill, INT 20H, amongst others.

PM Me, email me, or post here. Because i know its something thats worth doing.
Unread 01-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #422
INT 20h
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by poogles_uk
http://www.sdtimes.com/news/021/emb3.htm
A quote from here about the Snap Server Java Element: ' Instead, the company wants third-party developers, as well as enterprises, to be able to customize the Snap Servers for specific applications, modify its user interface or add new functionality.'
This was in 2001, with Snap OS v3. We've got V4, so wheres this then?? And where can we get Java Apps for it??

Are we going to create a proper web page to summarise this info into, to make the data more accessible for people? I know it was mentioned before, but nothing materialised. Has anyone any webspace that they can let us use? Or Joe would you let us host it on your site? Because then we can sort of organise it into Snap OS problems, hardware problems, imaging, i do has a mass of documentation, some from the snap site which would be useful for people. Could people please post if they want to help here, and we could create sort of a help desk type thing using the forums (if Joe wouldn't mind). Im really appealing to people with web design experience, and also people who are in the know about snap servers, i.e. myself, Rami, misterbill, INT 20H, amongst others.

PM Me, email me, or post here. Because i know its something thats worth doing.
Yeah, I wondered about the Java Apps myself. There doesn't seem to be any real documentation on developing your own which is too bad really. It's something I wouldn't mind messing with in my spare time.

I'm up for helping out creating a proper website for this stuff. I had heard of the possibility of making one before but haven't seen much talk of it since. Post or PM me if there's anything you want me to work on and I'll see what I can do.
Unread 01-18-2005, 06:33 AM   #423
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

Yeah, ive found some stuff about creating java apps, will post links later. Anyone any ideas wat sort of java apps we could create, as i wouldn't mind helping.

INT20H is in then aswell. Ive emailed you.

We need to decide what we are doing?

Thanks

Sam

Last edited by re3dyb0y; 01-18-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Unread 01-19-2005, 03:12 AM   #425
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

http://www.gnu.org/software/java/java-software.html

http://java-source.net/ - Seems Useful

http://www.freeware-guide.com/