Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 05-06-2003, 03:13 AM   #1
chewyboy
Cooling Neophyte

Default socket 478 idea (might be ot)

OK, so i was doing some work on some equipment today and started thinking about socket 478 cpu's (i really dont think this idea would work on current amd cpu's) anyway the 478 for a cpu has a descent amount of area for contact on it's cooling edge. This would be extremely difficult to do but if one could physically map the thermal changes in the thermal regions on teh surface of the cpu (assuming that all 478 cpu's will have similar results) could you not then specifically design a WB to cool those regions and the entire surface of the cpu, and even possibly get that extra degree or two out of it?

I know most are probably thinking this would be a dumb idea, but so far every wb i've seen is going off the assumption that the very center of the die is the hottest place on the cpu, now if a thermal map of the surface of the cpu shows this to be true then my question is moot. however if it shows it to be near a corner or one of the edges then wouldn't that justify a posibility maybe not for a different design, but a rethought of input and exhausts?
chewyboy is offline   Reply With Quote