Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 01-10-2004, 04:17 PM   #1
guandi
Cooling Savant

Southbridge cooling.

The hottest part of my comp right now, is my southbridge. cpu=38, northbridge=26, gffx5950u=35, southbridge=58.

fsck.

its a DFI nforce 2 400 ultra, rev b.

its just got a passive hs on it atm

i'm tired.

any ideas on how to cool it down?

i think i might have to make a 4th waterblock for it.

fsk it. any ideas where i could buy a very small waterblock? one that it ver light and has no fittinh hardware?

i'm going to bed. nigth all
2x BFG6800Ultra
Audigy2 ZS + Gigaworks S750
2x120gb/4x80gb
lots of water/copper/pumpy goodness.
guandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
j813
Cooling Savant

How did you measure the SB, does it have a BIOS temp reading? Do you use or have a SPDIF connection for your sound? I think NF2's SBs create because of this add-ons and other capabilities.

Glad to hear sombody gettin serious about this, I thought I was too much.

Last edited by j813; 01-12-2004 at 04:56 AM.
j813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2004, 04:04 AM   #3
guandi
Cooling Savant

mesured it with a thermometer with a little dab of Arctice silver on the end

its quite accurate, to within 3'c usually. i just tried playing Iront Storm (for the first time, i quite like it ) and about 15 mins into it the comp crashed, so i checked the temps, and the southbridge was nearly at 80'c

i am going to use the northbridge heatsink (with a corner cut off so that it fits snugly) with a fan mounted on the edge of my gfx card (its a gf fx 5950 ultra, it needs all the fans it can get, lol) when my watercooling for the cpu/nb/gpu gets here.

althought, without the heastink on the northbridge, it doesnt get nearly as hot as the southbridge with its heatsink. (dont try that at home kids, i kept my finger on it at all times and if it were to overheat, i had a heatsink that i had left in the freezer ready to slap on it to give me abough time to shutdown) maybe i will see if there is a way that i could secure a waterblock to the southbridge, the only thing that i'm worried about is the weight and pressure from the tubing, as there is no way of physically attaching a heastink without glue of some kind. :shrug:

hrm. i'm gonna have a think and a mess about with a load of random heasinks etc. and get back to you on this one.
2x BFG6800Ultra
Audigy2 ZS + Gigaworks S750
2x120gb/4x80gb
lots of water/copper/pumpy goodness.
guandi is offline   Reply With Quote