Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 04-18-2003, 10:01 PM   #1
jgoodman01
Cooling Neophyte

Default Software upgrade problem

I have a drawing program that recently offered a website upgrade. The original program had loaded up just fine and has ran for ome time with no problems

When I loaded the update, the program crashed. It gave some wierd error messages. I uninstalled the software as entirely as possible. I then tried to reload the base software install.

It will reinstall, but will only start to load, then shuts down.

I have cleared the registry, ran smart uninstallers, and am at my wits end.

The program is not that expensive, but is useful in my work. As a self employed person, I cannot just go out and buy program again when a program crashes like this.

The software mfg is lukewarm to cold about a fix for the bug.

Anyone have a hint how to clear the registry or whatever to fix the original install short of reloading windows? I have tried a restore point. That does not work either.

All help appreciated!

John Goodman
jgoodman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2003, 07:07 PM   #2
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Download system mechanic. If that doesn't clean out your registry well enough then RTFM and see if you're screwing something up. If you still have no ideas, then reformat and install windows again. Repurchasing the software WILL NOT help you with this problem.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

One other thing you can try is to manually edit the registry yourself and delete any key that is in reference to that program OR the manufacturer.

BUT, for gods sake, DONT do that unless 1) you have made a backup of your registry! 2) you have a good idea of what you are doing in there

If you meet the requirements listed above......
I have successfully corrected several problems with bad registry settings before by doing a search for the following; manufacturer name (ex. symantec for nortonAV), then doing another scan using the products name (ex. word for MS word), and then searching for the location where the program was installed (ex. c:\program files\norton for NortonAV).

With your backup in hand, delete the keys that closely match the program that you are trying to clear out. Once you are done, restart the computer and reinstall the program and see if it worked.

BTW it is a great idea to uninstall the program before you try this step
SCSI Raid 5 x (3) Cheetah 15K HDDs
LSI Express 500 (128MB cache)
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
DTEK WhiteWater + DTEK Custom Radiator
Eheim 1250
jtroutma is offline   Reply With Quote