Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 09-14-2003, 03:21 PM   #1
Phant0m51
Cooling Savant

Default RIAA Petition

Think that the RIAA is violating your 4th amendment rights by spying on your internet activity?

Don't want to get sued because you can't afford to buy the 100's of CD's it would take to make your current music collection?

Like to listen to MP3's?

Sign this petition, and pass the word on. The EFF is the oldest internet privacy advocacy organization in existence, so you can be sure your information will not be abused.

EFF Petition
Phant0m51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2003, 04:57 PM   #2
joemac
Cooling Savant

LOL if groups like the RIAA had their way everyone would be in jail. The RIAA is part of today’s corporate America motto - Make a quick buck today without any thought of the future. This is why a CEO can come into a company lay off 20,000 employees save the company 40 million and make one million and be gone before the repercussions of his/her action can be felt. If the RIAA would stop hiring lawyers who make their money by going to court and hired smart innovated engineers to devise a way to sell music on the net the way most of their consumers want – Quick easy and cheap. What other industry can sue their customers and claim its good for their employees
joemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2003, 06:13 PM   #3
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Canadians pay a tax on recordable media already which goes to the music companies. They gave canadians explicitly the right to make personal copies of music. It is also legal for me to burn a copy of a cd I borrow from a friend. It's not legal for my friend to give it to me directly though; I have to do it. So Peer to Peer is basically protected in Canada and legal for music. Interesting eh?

Hopefully the trend will be for broadband to become like any other utility in the home where you pay based upon how much you use. Then the RIAA et al can be given their fair share of that metered bill to account for their losses in profits, and everyone can just move on with life.

The cat's out of the bag now though and I don't honestly think there is anything that anyone can do to stop file sharing. Better to come up with a reasonable solution.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote