Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 03-14-2002, 01:35 AM   #1
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

Default Need Help Finding A Part !!( A CAP )

ok so far i ordered this and am doing this !!.
3 feet of 3" ID 3 1/2 OD" clear acrylc extruded tubing.
4 4" round discs (acrylic)
4 3" round discs (acrylic)
what im gonna do is cut the tube in half for 2 1 1/2' reseviors (am going to be selling one)
and then glue the 3" onto the 4" and then use that for a bottom.

and then its gonna be threaded (reason for 1/2 wall tubing) for hose barbs. but NOW the only problem is finding a cap

it needs to be water tight and somehow removable like a twist on cap.

thats the design im sorta going by. i just need a cap !! its gotta be for a 3" ID and it needs to look somewhat decent( there fore no ugly big pvc caps) i would liek to try to stay away from them.
if you guys know anywhere to find a 3" acrylic cap or anything at all please let me know !!! i need it asap

Last edited by Jason-Pro; 03-14-2002 at 04:02 PM.
Jason-Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2002, 02:12 AM   #2
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

cmon guys give me ideas or something !! its got a 1/2 wall so alot can be done with it !!
Unread 03-14-2002, 08:25 AM   #3
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

have you tired digging around your local hardware store?
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2002, 09:32 AM   #4
richone
Cooling Neophyte

I am working on a larger version of my airtrap/res (link) without the ugly white pvc and I was thinking of adding lights as well. I found the usplastics had some clear pvc caps and joints, so I should be able to make my res clear (save the brass nipples).
richone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2002, 10:07 AM   #5
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

Man, thats a tough one. I would lay down money that says the manufacturer of that res has the caps privately CNC'd. Maybe you should contact Fixittt or Jaydee and see if they can help you out. Honestly it would probably be easier than trying to find it yourself.
but i'll never be top of the line again
...i'd rather be nothing...
decodeddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2002, 12:34 PM   #6
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

yeah ive looked but im gonna go look around again. i just wana find a cap thats halfway decent or something not the ugly pvc ones.

and them pvc caps @ usplastics are weird they just look like them rubber endcaps or something thats why i went w/ the acrylic circles for a bottom
Unread 03-14-2002, 03:52 PM   #7
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

ya know, you may well just be better off trying to get the original imported to the US Jason. Have you contacted them about it at all?
Unread 03-14-2002, 03:57 PM   #8
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

yes its $55 USD for 1 so far i bought enough to make 1 1 1/2' one for me and 2 9" ones ill be selling and it only costed $34 lol i just need to find a cap of some sort !!
and i talked to the guy @ hwlabs in the chat and he said that that place has been known to list stuff and not really have it but still manage to sell it its www.pc-mac2000.com or something. he said that they have chrome BI's on there site and theyve never sold any at all to them. so i said screw em ill just make my own !!!
and anyways shipping probably woulda been $30 or so so i didnt feel like spending almost $100 for one
Unread 03-14-2002, 04:01 PM   #9
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason-Pro
yes its $55 USD for 1 so far i bought enough to make 1 1 1/2' one for me and 2 9" ones ill be selling and it only costed $34 lol i just need to find a cap of some sort !!
and i talked to the guy @ hwlabs in the chat and he said that that place has been known to list stuff and not really have it but still manage to sell it its www.pc-mac2000.com or something. he said that they have chrome BI's on there site and theyve never sold any at all to them. so i said screw em ill just make my own !!!
and anyways shipping probably woulda been $30 or so so i didnt feel like spending almost $100 for one
yeah, thats pretty damn steep for an air trap.
Unread 03-14-2002, 04:05 PM   #10
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

yeah diesel but then they got custom built mounts to which i wanted to get made outa aluminum my friend can make em for me hes made a bunch of them already. put some rubber or something on the inside of the clamp. so i gotta talk to him bout that stuff. but he cant machine plastic i already talked to him about that. he never worked with it i guess. hes got 2 mills and 2 CNCs in his garage. and stuff to do anything !! so hes good friend to have lol
Unread 03-14-2002, 07:52 PM   #11
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Got your e-mail, but I have no idea what to do. One could get a thick block of acrylic and mill out a top but I have no idea how to get the milling marks out to make it clear again. I never worked with the stuff. Fixittt uses acrylic for his Spir@l tops so he may have a better idea what it will take.

Also if the wall is 1/2" you could make a Copper top and drill some holes through the top of the walls and thread in some brass all thread, then use brass butterfly nuts or thumb screwes to tighten down the top. Copper shines up real nice aswell. You should be able to get away with up to a 1/4" hole with 1/2" walls. All you would need though is 1/8" all thread.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2002, 08:52 PM   #12
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

oh yeah good idea jaydee thanks alot !! i could go w/ aluminum top and cut out some rubber under it where the plastic is. hmm very good idea thanks alot lol.

could you cut me some 3 1/2 inch aluminum circles? rofl
Unread 03-14-2002, 09:02 PM   #13
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
oh yeah good idea jaydee thanks alot !! i could go w/ aluminum top and cut out some rubber under it where the plastic is. hmm very good idea thanks alot lol.

could you cut me some 3 1/2 inch aluminum circles? rofl
Aluminum will work to, but remember the copper/al mix is supposed to be bad, but i imagine the top wouldn't really be touching the water all that much.

Also instead of rubber, try and get a grove milled around the bottom of the Al lit to where a O ring will fit in it. Look kinda professional.
Unread 03-14-2002, 09:05 PM   #14
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

yeah do you have icq or msn or aim ? id like to get some tips on few things gonna be building my own al case soon
Unread 03-14-2002, 09:58 PM   #15
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
yeah do you have icq or msn or aim ? id like to get some tips on few things gonna be building my own al case soon
No I don't. I never have enough time anymore on-line. e-mail is your best bet. I only have a few hours after work to do what ever before i go to bed so weekdays I don't get on-line but a few minutes at a time. This weekend i should be around though. I am setting up a chat room for my website and I will post the link when I get it going.

Building a AL case is going to be some project. The hardest part is getting the card slots and stuff to fit right and the mobo mounts in the right spot.
Unread 03-14-2002, 10:03 PM   #16
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

all i will be doing is drilling/riviting lol.
my dad works w/ stainless steel all day (he has no alu welders sucks) but hes gonna cut it all for me w/ the plasma or a saw or something and then its gonna get taken to the place to get bent up. then all ill have to do is drill and rivet it.

im using my mobo tray from my addtronics case and the drive part as well

so its gonna be really easy actually just gonna be hard to line ita ll up and drill it straight lol

can have my dad help me with that hes good with all that stuff. but i think it should go quick.
Unread 03-15-2002, 08:15 AM   #17
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
all i will be doing is drilling/riviting lol.
my dad works w/ stainless steel all day (he has no alu welders sucks) but hes gonna cut it all for me w/ the plasma or a saw or something and then its gonna get taken to the place to get bent up. then all ill have to do is drill and rivet it.

im using my mobo tray from my addtronics case and the drive part as well

so its gonna be really easy actually just gonna be hard to line ita ll up and drill it straight lol

can have my dad help me with that hes good with all that stuff. but i think it should go quick.
I am a sheet metal/steel worker by trade and have thought about building my own case. I want a big cube style case that will house all kinds of crap. Still have not got around to trying though.

Bah, well off to work.....
Unread 03-15-2002, 01:13 PM   #18
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

yeah i just need to figure out how to get 3 1/2" aluminum circles lol.

jaydee do you do any cad or anything? i wana make my case i know what i want is exacy 20" cube w/ splitter down the middle
Unread 03-15-2002, 07:40 PM   #19
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
yeah i just need to figure out how to get 3 1/2" aluminum circles lol.

jaydee do you do any cad or anything? i wana make my case i know what i want is exacy 20" cube w/ splitter down the middle
I use AUTOCAD2000 for my DFX files for the CNC Mill, but I am not to proficient at it at. All I can really do is simple water blocks so far.
Unread 03-15-2002, 07:44 PM   #20
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

ahh ill just have my dad find somebody that can do perfect circles cut em out. use his drillpress to do all the stuff
Unread 03-15-2002, 11:21 PM   #21
Brad
Thermophile

jason, just like I'm doing with my dad, getting him to make cases for me

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2002, 01:47 AM   #22
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

yeah brad, my dad dont have an al welder tho his is for stainless. sucks so ive gotta rivet it all but the bottom and front and back are gonna be 1 peice bent up. and the top is gonna be a top i dont know what im gonna do about removable sides yet !!
Unread 03-16-2002, 08:17 AM   #23
mx-6*
Cooling Savant

If you are going to rivet it you should put some kind of soft material or something between the pieces so that you don't get any annoying vibrating noise.
mx-6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2002, 08:53 AM   #24
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

Jay is on the right track. IU would recomend getting a peice of solid acrylic round that is the same OD as the tube, and have it machined so that it will fit loosley inside the tube except for the top (with a lip towards the top so it sits flush and looks professonal) and machine 1 or 2 o ring groves in it.

Acrylic is actually very easy to machine. U just need to have your cutter at a slow RPM so it doesnt melt the plastic. I am willing to bet that your friend can do this in his shop. Just tell him to bring down the RPMS alot. Its like machining any kind of material. Make sure you are getting chips, and not dust or melted plastic.

Also when machined at the right speed, acrylic stays clear. If wd 40 is used as a lube when machining it stays pretty much crystal clear. If it is still a bit frosty colored, you can either flame poish it, or sand it with very high gritt sand paper with wd 40 as a lube.

Your top shouldnt be that hard to do.

Hope you get what U want
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote