Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-13-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Axle
Cooling Savant

I'm WCed!! Advice on making it better?

I've finally done it!! !!W00t!! I believe is order Ok, so here's my system now:

Shuttle AK31 w/ 1.2 T-bird, 1024DDR2100, GF4Ti4200, Pioneer 16x SLOT DVD, Samsung 32xRW, Seagate 80GB 7200 Cuda IV.
TC-4, Innovatek GF4 and NB blocks, Maxi Jet 1200PH (295GPH), Large leaky copper bucket.

Temps are...Well, right now CPU: 29C, System: 22C, with a room of 18C. The CPU rises (when left idle) to around 34C, but generally goes no higher. Haven't gotten the chance to put it under some load yet, but I don't really think there'll be a big jump.

The good point(s): Cool!! Much better than 54 idle with air. QUIET!!! I have a real tough time hearing the Maxi Jet over the Panaflo L1A in my PSU.

The bad points: I think you can see it in some of the pics, but the Innovatek NB block REALLY doesn't fit between the TC4 and my vid card....I mean REALLY.
The 3/8" tygon that I smashed over the 1/2" barbed TC4 isn't so great. I think I'd see much better temps if I got some 1/2" tygon, and also some 3/8OD, 1/4ID tygon (using clearflex right now).
THE LEAKY COPPER BUCKET IS UNCOOL!! Maybe if it didn't leak QUIET so much, but it really leaks LOTS and LOTS of water. Also large, and doesn't work all that well. Has to go.
My ghetto T that you can also see in the pic is somewhat....ghetto.
Tap water with stuff floating around it it...look like copper specs or something. Not so good.

So I plan to:
Build a rad like Gerwin's. Passive, right mate?
Get distilled water
Get 1/2 & 1/4 tygon
Buy an unGhetto T
WC my PSU (like g33k)

And my questions (FINALLY, right?) are:
Is this pump powerfull enough? For 295GPH it's really facing lots of restriction. Also when I build a rad..
Where can I find a copper/plastic T that goes from 1/2" to two 1/4"?
Am I tubing this right. At the moment it goes Pump(in rad)->CPU->T->NB+GF4->two 1/4" lines dump back into the bucket. I'd planed to get another T and go back from 2 1/4" to 1/2".

MUCHO thanks to EVERYONE who's helped me out doing this, and thanks to everone so much for reading this...I really need the advice!!

OH! pics. [ignore the firearm/knives under the desk, will you? ]

Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Congratulations!!!

It's always nice to see someone so delighted after finishing (or starting?) the wc'ed rig! Welcome!

Can u turn that chipset block 90 deg, to avoid those nasty turns of the tubing against the vid card?
Unread 01-14-2003, 04:46 PM   #3
Axle
Cooling Savant

Thanks

And I don't know....maybe. I've been planning on a little upgrade for a while now, I might even spring for a clawhammer when the come out, so the MBs going to go.

New little observation here....No matter how cold it gets in this room, or how cold the water feels, the CPU temp never drops below 32C. Like right now, water feels VERY warm, its 17 in here, it's been running for 3 days 24/7 now, and its a 36. This morning it was 8(!!) in here, and it was all of 34.
Unread 01-14-2003, 07:31 PM   #4
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Congratulations! It's great to see you so enthusiastic. It pumps the rest of us up.

Your temps might not drop much because your "radiator" isn't very effective at dumping heat. Air temperature should directly affect your CPU temps unless your coolant isn't being cooled! Also, that much water acts as a stabilizing factor. It takes a long time to cool it down (or heat it up).
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2003, 08:44 PM   #5
golovko
Cooling Savant

Default Re: I'm WCed!! Advice on making it better?

Quote:
Originally posted by Axle
And my questions (FINALLY, right?) are:
(1) Is this pump powerfull enough? For 295GPH it's really facing lots of restriction.
(2) Also when I build a rad...Where can I find a copper/plastic T that goes from 1/2" to two 1/4"?
(3) Am I tubing this right. At the moment it goes Pump(in rad)->CPU->T->NB+GF4->two 1/4" lines dump back into the bucket. I'd planed to get another T and go back from 2 1/4" to 1/2".
1. With 3 blocks, you might want to upgrade the pump in the future, especially if you get a rad/heatercore thats very restrictive.

2. You can get plastic & copper fittings at your local hardware store (Lowe's, Ace, True Value, etc). I personally prefer the plastic fittings because they're less bulky, they weigh less, you don't have to worry about corrosion, and they cost less. To compensate for the T, use one 1/2 T, then run a short piece of hose from that to a 1/2 to 1/4 piece.

(3) Your routes for tubing seem to be ok. I personally prefer Pump>rad>cpu>other blocks>pump which is basically what you have, good choice.

And finally, congratulations on completing your first system!
golovko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2003, 09:20 AM   #6
nicozeg
Cooling Savant

Just noticed something very wrong with your tubbing. 1/4 tubes are several times more restrictive than 1/2. By forcing the water to pass trough two long 1/4 lines you're killing the flow rate.

To get the same cross sectional area of 1/2 you need four 1/4 lines. If U want to split 1/2 in two, U need 3/8. But even in this case where cross section is the same, flow restriction is bigger in two 3/8 because of the increased wall surface.

As your cpu block need the biggest flow possible and the gpu and nb just enough to run cool, U should setup parallel lines to keep the sum of cross sections at least in 1/2. Doing this you dont need a pump upgrade at all.
Attached Images
File Type: gif pipes.gif (5.6 KB, 93 views)
nicozeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2003, 07:13 AM   #7
Axle
Cooling Savant

Thanks for the responces, everyone

nicozeg: That seems like a better way to do it. I'll check it out for sure, but you don't think it would be OK to attach the Y to the pump, and run: rad->pump->Y->1/2" to CPU+1/4" to GF4, then NB->another Y->1 1/2" back to pump?

I may yet upgrade, though, this maxijet is quiet, but not Ehiem quiet (am I right?) Depends on the $$.

I'd really like to get rid of this ghetto brass T, but I still havn't been able to find a plastic Y that deals with 1/2 and 1/4"-they don't sell them at the Home Depot some I'm outta ideas. Lowes?

That's probably it, Brian, it is after all maybe 3 gallons. I'm building a rad this weekend anyway, my bucket leaks about a cup of water a day, and that's just not cool.

Thanks again, for the advice and congrats!!
Unread 01-17-2003, 07:19 AM   #8
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Axle

I'd really like to get rid of this ghetto brass T, but I still havn't been able to find a plastic Y that deals with 1/2 and 1/4"-they don't sell them at the Home Depot some I'm outta ideas. Lowes?

Try www.mcmaster.com .
Unread 01-17-2003, 08:00 AM   #9
Aardil
Cooling Savant

Just a thought, I made my "Y" out of 1'' Plexiglass block, If you can get Plexi ( I can get the thick stuff locally and as long as it is just scrap pieces it cost me little to nothing), My problem was I felt the "t" was too restrictive so I made a "Y" and as far as sizes since you are making it yourself you can tap it to any size you need.
Just my 2 coppers worth
Aardil
Aardil is offline   Reply With Quote