Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 08-08-2002, 10:43 PM   #1
ambient
Cooling Savant

Default PSU question..

I really did look for somewhere else to post this. I always browse this forum, please move if this needs to be some where else. I've always thought that my mother board read bad (abit kt7a) for temp and voltage, but now that I have a DigiDoc, it reads almost exactly the same. My PSU's 12v rail is running between 12.35v~12.53v. I get black splotches in games some times, not like artifacts though. How much variance can you have? Could this be the cause of the splotches (they're very intermittent)? I'm probably just gonna replace it, but as I've stated before, I don't know d1ck about electricity.
Unread 08-09-2002, 10:29 AM   #2
ambient
Cooling Savant

could this be caused by the psu's wiring being bound up by zip ties?
Unread 08-09-2002, 10:53 AM   #3
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by ambient
could this be caused by the psu's wiring being bound up by zip ties?
Not likely unless you bind DC wires against an AC wire. The alternating magnetic field would create some (small) amount of "back-emf" in the DC wiring. Just a possibility...

Bob
Unread 08-09-2002, 11:11 AM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

You want no more than 5% deviation from spec, so for 12V, you do not want more than 12.6 .

You're OK.

Tell us more about your system, and we'll look at your black splotches.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 11:18 AM   #5
redleader
Thermophile

In reality I was always told that virtually any componet is speced to work with 10% variance, so I doubt its your problem.

Also, 12v is mainly used to power motors, not chips, so its probably not going to cause problems with graphics (more likely a burned out drive) if it gets way too high.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 11:36 AM   #6
fresno12
Cooling Neophyte

Just as a guess not knowing what video card and type of memory you are running. I would say your video display problems are more likely memmory related. There are a number of things you can try.
Switch the video card with a known good one
If you have two sticks of memory try one alone and then the other
Also look for a small proggy on Google named "Gold Memory"
one of the best shareware programs for checking all of your system memory. (if it was your psu it would probably be more of a constant problem)

fresno12
fresno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 11:44 AM   #7
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Did you OC your vid card? At any rate, that is common when the temps of the vid card mem or gpu gets too hot. Also, sometimes you get that if your FSB is bumped too high. Try these steps (in order):

1) Raise AGP Voltage +.01

... if that doesn't work, lower it back down to normal ...

2) Lower your FSB to original spec

... if that doesn't work, keep that setting in place ...

3) Underclock (if possible) your GPU/vid mem speeds by a goodly amount and check that (if OC, lower to original spec)

... if that doesn't work, keep those settings in place ...

4) Open your case and aim a box fan at your vid card

... if you still have problems, you may have a burnt vid card. Invest in a new one.

If the fan or underclocking fix it, then invest in cooling (if it's worth it) for the card. If the Voltage change fixes it, MAKE SURE you cool your vid card. If the FSB fixes it, you probably need a diffy vid card to push that high. Some cards don't like high voltages OR high FSB settings.

Artifacting is very common if the vid card is overheating or if there are physical failures in the card. Darf.
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 12:21 PM   #8
ambient
Cooling Savant

Thanks for all the replies. I thought it was gonna be the PSU for sure so I didn't post the rest of the specs. This has been happening weather or not the system is oc'd. I've tried different ram timings, different io and vcore voltages disabling all kinds performance tweaks, different bios's, different mobo and vid drivers. If any of you have any thoughts please suggest cause I'm thinking I'm gonna replace the card. I don't have another good card to test with. It only happens in games not benchmarks (like 3dMark). Maybe the card is bad. Fresno thanks for the tip about Gold Memory, I'll try it later, I'm at work right now.

here goes:

ABit KT7a
1.4ghz @ 1.4ghz
Leadtek GeForce 2 Ultra
maxtor 20gb 7200rpm ata100
Kingston Nic
Sb Live value (old one)
256mb OCZ pc 166
256mb kingmax micro BGA pc133
enermax gpe 351 330watt psu
sony supressa 10x8x32 burner
pine 48x cd-rom
Unread 08-09-2002, 12:57 PM   #9
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

You've got a pretty heavy load, for a 330W PSU. Did you add anything to your system recently?

I see you've got two different ram sticks. It shouldn't be an issue, but you might try without the slower one, just to check. A test (gold) might tell you a bit more, maybe not.
Unread 08-09-2002, 01:05 PM   #10
ambient
Cooling Savant

I switched some fans out and added some slower fans, but I don't think I have to many. Here is what I got for fans

1x 120 mm sunon 86cfm 3.2watts .?amps
4x 80 mm vantec stealth fans 21cfm .5watts?
1x 50mm sunon fan for video card. Video card has stock HSF and mem sinks but I added the fan above. I've checked to make sure the HSF is making good contact.
Unread 08-09-2002, 02:26 PM   #11
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

If you've already checked the OC settings (I assume you OC'd the vid card), your card is bad. You'd be having more than artifacting if your PSU was to blame. It sounds like it's time to burn that one and get a new one. ATI Radeon 9000s are running in the $70-80 range on pricewatch ....
Unread 08-09-2002, 02:39 PM   #12
Cova
Cooling Savant

You think thats a heavy load for a 330W PSU? I'm running...

Athlon 1333 @ 1533 (1.85V)
ABit KT7A-RAID
ATI AllInWonder 8500DV
SB Live
cheap NIC
512MB PC133 (1 stick no-name brand)
Plexwriter 24/10/40
Pioneer 16X DVD
2x Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM
2x Maxtor 60GB 7200RPM

All off a 300W no-name PSU with no power-related problems at all. I've also got a few USB devices drawing 5V power from the USB bus as well.

For your problem ambient - I would definatly suggest focusing on the video card as the source of your problems. It sounds to me like bad video RAM.
Cova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 02:59 PM   #13
ambient
Cooling Savant

Quote:
If you've already checked the OC settings (I assume you OC'd the vid card), your card is bad. You'd be having more than artifacting if your PSU was to blame. It sounds like it's time to burn that one and get a new one. ATI Radeon 9000s are running in the $70-80 range on pricewatch ....
I only OC'd the card slightly a long time ago. It never did OC that well. I can't decide if I should get the 9000 or the 8500 or a ti4200. I know the 4200 is gonna OC the best. But I only need to play my games @ 100fps.
Unread 08-09-2002, 03:48 PM   #14
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cova
You think thats a heavy load for a 330W PSU? I'm running...

Athlon 1333 @ 1533 (1.85V)
ABit KT7A-RAID
ATI AllInWonder 8500DV
SB Live
cheap NIC
512MB PC133 (1 stick no-name brand)
Plexwriter 24/10/40
Pioneer 16X DVD
2x Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM
2x Maxtor 60GB 7200RPM

All off a 300W no-name PSU with no power-related problems at all. I've also got a few USB devices drawing 5V power from the USB bus as well.

For your problem ambient - I would definatly suggest focusing on the video card as the source of your problems. It sounds to me like bad video RAM.
Hey, sometimes, you just get lucky.

I agree though the VC ram is the first thing to look at.

The basics though would make you clean the cards' connectors, then reseat it. Re-install the latest video driver, then check if the prob is still there. Then, check system ram.

Last edited by bigben2k; 08-09-2002 at 03:50 PM.
Unread 08-09-2002, 05:02 PM   #15
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Yeah, do what Ben suggested. Unfortunately I don't think it will do you any good. If it was a problem with connections in the AGP slot, you'd get more than minor artifacting. System ram will not cause a problem like this, so I wouldn't even bother (though it can use some checking now and then).

At any rate, do everything that was listed in this thread, and if there is no solution from that, you need a new card. If I recall, those GF2 cards' memory isn't replacable, and it isn't worth doing it anyway. Just get a new card.