Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 12-18-2004, 08:28 PM   #1
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default Project Log: AL Carry case into PC Case.

I am going out of my normal hiding place in the cooling forums and post this little project. I was given a old camera with an aluminum carrying case the other day. I didn't think about it at the time but the case was exactly what I wanted for this project. As I sat here removing numerous Trojans and viruses off my ex-gf's comp I took a look at the case and it dawned on me a standard ATX mobo will fit nicely in the damn thing!

I was trying to figure out how to make a standard ATX desktop into a easily portable computer so I can take it to my cnc mill and bring it home when I am done. I don't like to leave it where the mill is because the shop is not heated all the time and it gets -20F at times in the winter. When I get there and fire it up condensation forms on the comp and that is not good.

I plan on mounting it with an old mobo tray and cutting out the rectangle for the ATX plate and cards. I will mount the hard drive in the upper part. I really don't need a CD drive or floppy drive for this comp as it will be networked from my laptop to transfer the CAD files for the mill.

Will update as I make progress.

jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2004, 08:40 PM   #2
greenman100
Cooling Savant

why not use a laptop?
greenman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2004, 08:48 PM   #3
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman100
why not use a laptop?
My CNC software dosn't work with WinXP (what my laptop uses) because of some extra security XP uses on the printer port. I have to buy a $40 peice of software to get around it. Being I got enough desktop parts to build 3 computers and the case to do it, why not?! .
Unread 12-19-2004, 12:50 AM   #4
DryFire
Cooling Savant

why can't you stick linux on your laptop?
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2004, 11:05 AM   #5
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFire
why can't you stick linux on your laptop?
Because I actually use my laptop. My CNC software only works with Win9X anyway. I already tried Win98SE and WinME on it but can't get all the drivers for it. There are some winXP only hardware in it including the video. If I didn't use my laptop to travel around with me all over the USA for work and what not I might give it a second chance.

I thought about buying an older P3 800 laptop but I don't want to spend the money on something that's days are numbered. Being I have $1,000's worth of desktop parts laying around that's what will get used.

I thought hacking up a AL carry case for my CNC was a hell of a lot more practical and justified then all the $100's people spend in bling for their comps? Maybe not? :shrug:
Unread 12-19-2004, 11:48 AM   #6
BalefireX
Cooling Savant

Well I for one think its a good idea. If I can ever think of a practical use for it (justification, as I'd want some specialized small components), I've always wanted to build a completely waterproof PC inside a Pelican Case.
Unread 12-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #7
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

JayDee this will probably solve your printer port issues:

http://www.driverlinx.com/DownLoad/DlPortIO.htm

I use it to make my MAX6655 reader work with Windows NT/2k/XP

//edit looks like you have other issues as well though that mean "time to build a PC in an aluminum case"
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2004, 05:26 PM   #8
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
JayDee this will probably solve your printer port issues:

http://www.driverlinx.com/DownLoad/DlPortIO.htm

I use it to make my MAX6655 reader work with Windows NT/2k/XP

//edit looks like you have other issues as well though that mean "time to build a PC in an aluminum case"
Actually I don't have other issues. My CNC software will work with WinXP as long as I use Direct I/O . But that costs $30ish and I don't want to pay for it.

I got that program from you before but I cannot figure out how to make it work.

Here is the direction they gave me for Direct I/O:
Quote:
Q: I get a "Privilidged Instruction" error when I run the software on WinNT/2000/XP. What's up?
A: WinNT, 2000, and XP have security protocols which prevent directly accessing the parallel port like you can with Win98 and below. However, you can unlock the security for specific programs and ports using third party applications. One that I use is called Direct-IO, available at www.direct-io.com. It costs $29 but there is a free demo that works for a month to try it out. After installing it:
1) Open Control Panel under Start Menu/Settings. Double click DirectIO. Click the I/O Ports tab. Enter 378 in the Begin field, and 37F in the End field then click the Add button.
2) Click the Security tab. Enter the directory\name of the program, eg.C:\Program Files\EasyCAMpro.exe. or c:\mytmill\mytmill.exe. Then click the Add button. Exit.
3) Run the mytmill.exe or EasyCAMpro.exe normally.
With the program you linked it gives me these two boxes in the attached image. What do I enter to make that port work? 378 and 37F is for Direct I/O but it has a completely different interface (second attachment). :shrug:

Any idea what to do? I am on ignorant fool when it comes to stuff like that. :shrug:

If I can get that working then I will use the aluminum box for other things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ioports.jpg (37.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg directio.jpg (21.9 KB, 4 views)
Unread 12-21-2004, 07:53 PM   #9
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Project scrapped. I found a freeware version of Direct I/O. It is called UserPort and can be found here: http://www.embeddedtronics.com/design&ideas.html