Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 02-24-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
taleb
Cooling Neophyte

Ultrasound frequencies and Heatsink

Dear Helpers,

I won't give introductions, briefly speaking, I lack information regarding electronics.

I was checking an ultrasound machine for treating cellulite and fatty areas for the body, so user complained that the ultrasound heads are not oscillating much.

I put some water on the heads and started the ultrasounds, oscillation needed adjustments, so I managed to get to a potentiometer to adjust the oscillation.

I was mounting back the covers of the machine, until the cover hit one of the heatsinks on the ultrasound PCB and broke its legs.

As to my knowledge, the heatsink will cool down the board, I didn't solder the heatsink to the board, because I thought this will not damage anything.

I switched on machine and started ultrasound, no more oscillation, no more the buzzing sound of the ultrasound heads.

I would like to ask, what is the relation between heatsinks and ultrasound frequencies? And why did the ultrasound pcb stop working eventhough there is an identical heatsink next to the broken one.

Mind my electronics knowledge, and please answer my stupid questions.

Awaiting your soonest reply before I get into trouble with customer.

Taleb
taleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
PaulDriver
Cooling Neophyte

Odds are the heatsink was cooling a transistor.

broken transistor means no more working device.

you may want to try soldering the broken pin back into place.

you may have caused more damage though, and the machine may never function again.
All housed in a circa 1997 inwin case hacked into the flipped BTX style
Air cooled, First time since 2001. It's not noisy, what's wrong?
PaulDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDriver
you may have caused more damage though, and the machine may never function again.
Odds are, that even with a broken transistor, the machine will treat cellulite as effectively as it ever did.
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
redleader
Thermophile

You broke a transistor or you broke a heatsink cooling a transistor?

If just the heatsink, the transistor will get hotter, Vt will increase and its output characteristics will change. If you broke the actual package the circuit was inside, who knows what will happen. I would not trust the machine to work correctly without it, particularly not if people are depending on it for medical tests. At least in the US, that'd be a massive liability.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

most cellulite is between the ears, mod that thing into a probe
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 08:09 PM   #6
Brians256
Pro/Staff

Ultrasound treating for cellulite? Isn't that one of those naturopath machines like the volt meters that test for food allergies (excuse me, food sensitivities)?

If so, perhaps I can fix your heatsink! Electro-homeopathic treatments! Dissolve a broken cellulite tester in pure 100% natural water. This would be like poison for that machine. BUT! Dilute that solution 1000X until it only activates the natural electro-defenses and then the heatsink would naturally heal itself!

for the humor impaired
Brians256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2005, 04:31 AM   #7
taleb
Cooling Neophyte

Default replaced transistor but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDriver
Odds are the heatsink was cooling a transistor.

broken transistor means no more working device.

you may want to try soldering the broken pin back into place.

I have replaced the transistor with a new one, soldered the legs in place but the machine never worked.

I am afraid that the etchings were pulled away from the PCB when the transistor legs were broken.

What do you suggest my friend.

Don't tell me I have to replace the PCB because I don't wanna pay 1000 Euros for it

Taleb
Unread 02-26-2005, 04:42 AM   #8
taleb
Cooling Neophyte

Default Machine was Off when legs broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader
You broke a transistor or you broke a heatsink cooling a transistor?

If just the heatsink, the transistor will get hotter, Vt will increase and its output characteristics will change. If you broke the actual package the circuit was inside, who knows what will happen. I would not trust the machine to work correctly without it, particularly not if people are depending on it for medical tests. At least in the US, that'd be a massive liability.

I broke the transistor when the machine was off, i was taking out the cover of the machine when the cover hit the transistor and broke its legs. So the PCB was not powered up.
Unread 02-26-2005, 01:33 PM   #9
PaulDriver
Cooling Neophyte

Wire a jumper further along the PCB.

You really need to contact an electronics tech, for someone with the proper skills, this is probably repairable, I can try to explain what to do, but depending on the PCB construction, layout, etc., experience and first hand exposure to the device is really what's required.

You did source an identical transistor, correct?
All housed in a circa 1997 inwin case hacked into the flipped BTX style
Air cooled, First time since 2001. It's not noisy, what's wrong?
PaulDriver is offline   Reply With Quote