Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 11-10-2004, 04:14 PM   #1
JamesAvery22
Cooling Savant

Default Want to build 3 low pressure drop blocks.

Im trying to get rid of all fans in my htpc. Right now Im using transmission coolers to passively cool my barton with a mcw6000a and a eheim 1048. Get great temps with no fans at all on the coolers.
I want very low pressure drop blocks because I love that 1048, very silent.

Yeah the coolers are bare aluminum and I am using preston lowtox as a inhibitor.

I cant cool my NB passively (tried that large zalman and it got WAY too hot) and I want to get rid of the fans in the small PSU and I want to cool a 9600xt.

mind you I have no drill press, no mill so the blocks I build will have to be completely crappy and ghetto compared to all the other beautiful blocks you guys post in here =(

What I want to do is buy a length of rectangular aluminum tube. .75" x 2" and probably 3 feet of it.

for the NB just make a 2" x 2" hollow square and mount barbs at opposite corners ontop of it. JBWeld aluminum to the open ends of the square to seal it.

For the GPU do close to the same except have both barbs coming out one of the ends and making it a dual pass. So the barbs point to the back of the card where the PSU molex is on higher end cards (I dont have the height in the case to go up and over).

Do something similar to the NB for the PSU, except larger and Im going to unsolder all the mosfets from the PSU and mount them directly to the blocks via thermal tape.

Was just wondering if any one had any pointers and if very simple blocks like that would be enough to cool the GPU. Dont think I'll have a problem with the NB or PSU.
JamesAvery22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2004, 08:50 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Something very simple is to just solder a copper pipe to a peice of flat copper bar and run water through the pipe.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote