Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-14-2004, 11:43 AM   #26
threeputt
Cooling Neophyte

Damn...am I too late?
Unread 10-14-2004, 01:46 PM   #27
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Chrome hold down and black block. That would be the cleanest, classic sort of mature bling that Swiftech could use. I would PS it but unfortuneately my ps skills suck.

Please send sample of this gorgeous block to:

Mr. Psycho Funk
1313 Mockingbird Lane
Los Munsters, CA 91313
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 01:47 PM   #28
Inaba
Cooling Neophyte

I'd buy a block if it was a nice mustard yellow (like a school bus) with a red bracket.

I don't need the block, but it would look cool enough for me to buy it just for the sake of the bling. Yes, I'm serious.
Inaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 02:04 PM   #29
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

some color combinations have already been 'spoken for', but naturally that is all I will say about them

'design' is more than color eh ?
consider cougem's bracket
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 02:35 PM   #30
doctah
Cooling Neophyte

I think it would be cool to have clear plastic top that's 2 parts....that way I could print out my own logo and sandwich it between the plastic.

If the plasic covered the majority of the block (ie - covered most of the edges also) - and a simple MS Word template were provided - one would not see the finish of the block. Color is no longer an issue - you can print out the template in any color or even cut up some fake carbon fiber sheets....whatever.

You could ship the hold down a matte black that is easily paintable -

The template would show where barb holes should be, where folds should be, exact size, etc...

...maybe I'm overlooking something?

...ok...I'll go back to lurking on ya'lls board now.
doctah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 02:36 PM   #31
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
some color combinations have already been 'spoken for', but naturally that is all I will say about them

'design' is more than color eh ?
consider cougem's bracket
Personally, after seeing the block in other colors, it is not so much the design that looks bad as it is the current color choices. I really like the block/bracket design (both AMD versions), the p4 version needs some help because it looks like a couple of paperclips (flimsy). Just change to a shiney black colored block and a chromed hold down and that would set it over the top for me. I don't know why but black and chrome feels like a tux (Sean Connery as 007) and all the others seem like jeans and loafers with a Hawaiian shirt (Magnum PI).
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 03:03 PM   #32
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctah
I think it would be cool to have clear plastic top that's 2 parts....that way I could print out my own logo and sandwich it between the plastic.

If the plasic covered the majority of the block (ie - covered most of the edges also) - and a simple MS Word template were provided - one would not see the finish of the block. Color is no longer an issue - you can print out the template in any color or even cut up some fake carbon fiber sheets....whatever.

You could ship the hold down a matte black that is easily paintable -

The template would show where barb holes should be, where folds should be, exact size, etc...

...maybe I'm overlooking something?

...ok...I'll go back to lurking on ya'lls board now.
interesting idea
what would result is one of these huge adapter plates ala PolarFLO or the Storm

can't say as I like them, but one could reduce a Picasso portrait and have the inlet/outlet coming out the eyes
- have to think on this
Unread 10-14-2004, 04:05 PM   #33
moosturdsoed25
Cooling Neophyte

Black Powder-Coated block with chrome bracket. A little like the storm, but blings with everything. After all, what doesn't match black and chrome for the blinged out look? Mounting bracket with chrome might stand out too much, and other options could be considered. I would really like a black block though, powder coating has a more smooth look than paint, in my opinion.
moosturdsoed25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 04:30 PM   #34
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

If you want BLING then why not just electropolish the stainless steel brackets. BLING! You could also switch to anodized aluminum and then electropolish that. Insane looking stuff.

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/030201.html

Also if you are chroming then why not black chrome? Would look very distinctive (never seen it done on a PC)

Also consider that your current wbs don't "match" very well with the red PCB systems atm. Stupid I know but if you want to go into that market then a color scheme that will really look good with colored PCBs (I guess black and red and blue are the common ones?) might be a selling point.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 04:57 PM   #35
killernoodle
Thermophile

Nickel plated with blue bracket would be nice and classic, but a nickel + black bracket would probably sell like crazy. Plus, you woulndt need to worry about oxidation and they would be easy to polish up.
Unread 10-14-2004, 05:21 PM   #36
redleader
Thermophile

I would use solid black or copper for the blocks and simply offer different colored mounting brackets. I imagine brackets are fairly cheap compared to the blocks, so distributors would be more inclined to stock extra of them.

Plus black could mix with most colors pretty well.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 06:30 PM   #37
agiacobbi
Cooling Neophyte

Damn, I haven't even got mine mounted yet and now I can get bling.

Bill, question for ya, why do you need the step block for the 775. Gabe said some thing about the bracket on a 45. Can you elaborate a little. Do I really need the step block for it or can I bend the bracket so I can use the flat block?

If not good reason to get some bling.
agiacobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 06:40 PM   #38
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

all of the Foxcon sockets are not the same, the release handle on some (all current ? - who knows) are rotated up slightly to depress more easily
so the step is necessary for the wb bp to clear that lever
- that lever is stout ss, if you wish to bend it I would not consider you to have good judgement - but perhaps you have a source of free mobos
Unread 10-14-2004, 06:44 PM   #39
agiacobbi
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
all of the Foxcon sockets are not the same, the release handle on some (all current ? - who knows) are rotated up slightly to depress more easily
so the step is necessary for the wb bp to clear that lever
- that lever is stout ss, if you wish to bend it I would not consider you to have good judgement - but perhaps you have a source of free mobos

I was actually thinking of just taking it off and using the block to hold it down. Damn, I guess I'll just wait for the bling now that I got a window, Swiftech blue with a chrome bracket please.
agiacobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 07:10 PM   #40
aaronspink
Cooling Neophyte

Why not go for the ultimate bling and do a gold or faux gold plating? Make the whole thing look like one big block of gold.

Another options is to use a UV power coat and possible make the hold down out of a clear material with space for UV leds.

I wonder if it would be posible to make a clear plastic collar that alls the projecting of a led into the wall of a tube?

Aaron Spink
aaronspink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 07:25 PM   #41
Bigmack
Cooling Neophyte

Black powder coated block with a chrome bracket. "Swiftech (sp)" lazer cut ino the bracket,allowing the black to show through.
UV additive so the name will show under UV!

Last edited by Bigmack; 10-14-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 10:30 PM   #42
Groth
Cooling Savant

Polish 'em up and use a clearcoat containing a suspension of microencapsulated liquid crystal. Shiny, glittery, changes color in response to temperature.
Groth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 10:38 PM   #43
Senater_Cache
Cooling Savant

Quote:
we are looking at painting also

you guys have any preferences ?
think wb one color, bracket another ??
Black block and yellow harness, or vice versa.
or, stainless harness, glossy crimson

SenC.

(sorry about that little dispute @ OCF unreg.)
Senater_Cache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 10:59 PM   #44
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

I'd have to say go with the blue block and white attaching thingy. Blue with white has worked for Swiftech in the past, although some UV reactivity (Swiftech logo?) would be nice. Not everybody likes the flashiness of chrome (I'd think. I honestly don't know.)
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2004, 05:50 AM   #45
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

I think the swiftech blue has been a 'downfall' for a while now - im yet to see one modded (properly, ie themed) pc with swiftech blue parts in it. Sure, DIYers still paint - however, i wouldnt buy a swiftech pump and paint it (bye bye warrantee)

A few quick ideas - (design is quick and dirty, no refining what-so-ever - more to explore finishing than anything)

black block, dark chrome top (i love dark chrome personally, its a very nice finish)
chrome/silver block, dark chrome top
chrome/silver block, standard chrome top

And of course, a gold top plate, in blingtech
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Assem1.jpg (52.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg chrome2dark.jpg (50.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg chrome.jpg (50.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg blingtech.jpg (94.2 KB, 25 views)
Unread 10-15-2004, 07:04 AM   #46
scopEDog
Cooling Neophyte

JIC: Dimensions

Nice one Etacovda
scopEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2004, 08:04 AM   #47
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groth
Polish 'em up and use a clearcoat containing a suspension of microencapsulated liquid crystal. Shiny, glittery, changes color in response to temperature.
Super bling, christ my eyes hurt

Sc, no sweat - I had outworn my welcome there
did you see the post about the corks popping at my departure ? no loss

Etacovda
very slick, I'll pass it by Gabe - but I think the laser time would be a killer
perhaps offshore ?
Unread 10-15-2004, 08:47 AM   #48
HammerSandwich
Cooling Savant

Do the block in UV. In the (black?) clamp, stamp/laser "Swiftech" so that the name literally glows in the dark.

If you could seal an LED inside the block to light the tubes from within, you'd see a billion of the things. Just remember "no warranty against leaks."

Finally, in honor of the current US silly season:

The Liberty Block! The block itself is blue with red and white stripes across the clamp. The Bush Bundle includes a petroleum-based pump lube additive. The Kerry Kombo offers a ketchup-based copper cleaner. Those seeking the ultimate upgrade can buy the Patriot Pelt which will "free your CPU from the threat of high temperatures!"
Unread 10-15-2004, 08:57 AM   #49
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerSandwich
. . . .
Finally, in honor of the current US silly season:

The Liberty Block! The block itself is blue with red and white stripes across the clamp. The Bush Bundle includes a petroleum-based pump lube additive. The Kerry Kombo offers a ketchup-based copper cleaner. Those seeking the ultimate upgrade can buy the Patriot Pelt which will "free your CPU from the threat of high temperatures!"
great stuff there HS
Unread 10-15-2004, 09:02 AM   #50
Tempus
Cooling Savant

I gotta say, from a business standpoint, themed blocks may help with market differentiation.

Most people have no idea what the different between a 5000/6000/6002 is but if they looked at them as "patriot", "racer", and "space" then they would see clear product lines.

You'd probably be able to get away with increased sales purely of stylistic changes.

Especially if you released full kits along those themes.