Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 08-01-2003, 08:33 AM   #1
olv
Cooling Neophyte

Default Watercooling pelts

I have a few questions about what type of watercooling setups are best suited to cooling pelts.

What types of watercooling setups achieve the best results when using pelts? Is the american way best i.e. bigger is better with fast flow and wide tubing (like dangerden stuff) or does the more european way with slower flow and thinner tubing (like aqua computer stuff) work equally aswell?

Do pelt setups need to be noisy? The way i see a pelt produces a lot of heat which needs to be removed by a big noisy 120mm fan on your radiator/heatercore. If you used a big rad in your setup like a thermochill 120.3 could you use 3 quiet fans and still achieve good results?

Some info on what works best with pelts would be appreciated. i really wanna freeze my cpu
olv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2003, 09:24 AM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Bigger is indeed better, but the size of the cooler really depends on what you, personally, want to achieve.

Radiator fans don't have to be noisy. I'll be using a 12v blower, undervolted to 5 volts. It's big, but quiet. there are plenty of fans available that are quiet. Yes, multiple fans will be quieter.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2003, 09:48 AM   #3
olv
Cooling Neophyte

So lots of 120mm fans at 12v isn't neccessary just as long as you have a big enough radiator to dissipate the heat?

On average how much does a good peltier/watercooled setup cost? I know that for a really good watercooled setup i'm looking at £250+ but how much more are powersupplies for pelts and the pelts themselves?

Also reading the articles on dansdata which you directed me to a week or so ago he says that an 80watt pelt is sufficient even for overclocked CPU's (which is why you use pelts of course) but reading around the forums the general idea is that most people use 200+ watt pelts. What is needed size wise?

What are the best waterblocks to use and which come with coldplates? I remember seeing maze3-1, i assume that the -1 means it comes with a coldplate or am i wrong? I was thinking of the white water, where would i get a coldplate from?

are there any serious disadvantages from using pelts?

thx
olv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2003, 10:18 AM   #4
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Actually, airflow is the most important factor, in getting a radiator to work well, but on the other hand, you have to decide what level of noise you're ready to live with.

Pelts are cheap, but the psu can run up to $100 USD.

80W used to be ok, but not anymore. The smallest one that you can use for the latest CPU, is 176 W. 226W should get you near freezing, or past it (it's not very efficient). 40 or 50mm is the size you'll be looking for.

Maze 3-1 or 4-1 are designed to accomodate 1 pelt, and they do come with a cold plate (aka spacer).

The drawback to it all is that you have to insulate everything, otherwise condensation will form. DangerDen has links posted to OcTools insulation guide, which is excellent. It can also have an effect on your electric bill, but we recently calculated it, and it's not so bad: maybe ~$5 per month.

Also, check out Joe's Conformal coating tip (in the articles section right here).
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2003, 09:58 AM   #5
]JR[
Cooling Neophyte

youll have to wait till i get back to the uk next week but i got a link for a psu thats like £5 and will power a couple of 220watt tecs @ full power or 4x172watt tecs @ 17v...

Also the setup doesnt need to cost £250 really, depends if you have watercooling kit or not yet, if you havent you dont want to be buying tec setups really. Go for a good quality watercooling kit thats tec expandable like a maze3 or 2-2 an ehiem 1250 and a big rad like the abyss or that thermochill....

]JR[
]JR[ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2003, 10:12 AM   #6
hydrogen18
Cooling Savant

building a power supply for pelts can be cheap too.
hydrogen18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2003, 10:39 AM   #7
Phant0m51
Cooling Savant

Why would you need 176 Watt Pelts to cool the CPU? If you're not looking for below ambient temperatures, what size Pelt would you need?

I'm wondering because I want to use a TEC to cool my computer, but I don't necessarily need below ambient.
Phant0m51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2003, 12:17 PM   #8
sevisehda
Cooling Savant

The only reason to use a pelt is to go below ambient. Other wise your just wasteing electricity.
sevisehda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2003, 01:31 PM   #9
Phant0m51
Cooling Savant

What is the maximum wattage that you can use with air cooling? Isn't it 76 Watts or something like that?
Phant0m51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2003, 07:22 PM   #10
BrianW
Cooling Savant

The reason for the higher wattage is so you do not kill the peltier. If it can not move the heat output, it will work ineffeciently, and will burn out eventually. I am not an expert on this subject, but I know the general idea. Anyone pipe in if I am way off base.

Brian

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2003, 05:38 PM   #11
]JR[
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Phant0m51
What is the maximum wattage that you can use with air cooling? Isn't it 76 Watts or something like that?

Or 172watt if you go for some proper fans 760cfm the pair for them fans

And before you ask, no im not stoopid enuff to stick it on my cpu...

]JR[
]JR[ is offline   Reply With Quote