Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 06-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Default SNAP 4000 MOD Power supply

Out of curiosity,

How many of you out there need a SNAP 4000 MOD power supply?

I have been toying with the idea of parting with my last SNAP 4000. If I do that, I won't be able to build the MOD power supplies for people anymore (due to not being able to test them in a working unit for verification). This in turn causes me to wonder how many people are in need of these MOD power supplies before I make any decision.

If you want/need one, contact me in either PM here, or better yet, e-mail me at phoenix32x@hotmail.com

I currently have two of them assembled (Well, three, but one is in a SNAP 4000).

For those who do not know what the purpose of a MOD power supply is, it is for more current on the +12 Volt Rail for larger hard disks to be used. Most larger hard drives have a larger current draw (with 4 of them) than the OEM power supply can/should handle properly during initial hard drive spin up. This has lead to burned up power supplies (which are very near impossible to find) and/or SNAP 4000 units that act weird/squirrely when larger hard disks are installed.

The MOD power supply is usually an AT or ATX power supply in the 180 Watt to 235 Watt zone MODified for use in a SNAP 4000 (which uses a proprietary power supply). The MODdification is done in such a manner so as to keep the original power up and power down configuration (not using extra switches or having to pull the power plug of the unit to turn it off). In other words, normal operation just like the original OEM power supply, but with more current available on the +12 Volt Rail for the hard drives.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

Drives from 250GB to 2TB (PATA, SATA, and SAS)

GOS v5.2.067

All subject to change, day by day......
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
bitor
Cooling Savant

Default Re: SNAP 4000 MOD Power supply

Hey, how are you. I've been really busy lately. And guess what? I had the money to buy the upgrade power supply and some asshole decides to break in to my car and try and steal it. If it was not for me disconnection my battery it would have been gone. Now I have a very large bill to replace the driver's side window and my whole steering collum because the guy broke my ignition switch out. It really f@#$ my car up and will cost me a lot of money to repair now. I'd like to put a bullet in him.

bitor
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
dustbunny690
Cooling Neophyte

I recently purchased a 4000 unit & don't know what shape the power supply is in yet. What are you asking for the modded ones? Thanks!
dustbunny690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Phoenix32
Thermophile

$75 (USD) plus shipping. Why? Because they take quite a bit of time to make one. Payment would be through PayPal.

I have 1 built and tested MOD P/S left. Bitor has been talking about getting one for a while, and Sifter I think has his eye on one as well. I was going to make a larger batch of these, but from this message thread, the interest seemed low, so I only made a few and do not plan to make any more.

The one that I have left was a used P/S and has an extra connector for an optional fan (and is temp controlled). It will require the user to make a solder connection for the power (2 wires) since I did not have any left over power connectors.

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067

Unread 08-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
MarlboroMan
Cooling Neophyte

I would like two power supplies, one for each of my Snap 4000 boxes.

I would be willing to pay $75 each for them.

Is this what you are asking?
MarlboroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Yup... and I have your name on the last of the MOD power supplies...

1 x Snap 110
5 x Snap 410
3 x Snap 520

2 x Sanbloc S50

GOS v5.2.067