Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 07-16-2003, 12:55 PM   #1
melvyn
Cooling Neophyte

Default Whining Delta, begone!

I finally got fed up with the whining Delta 38cfm fan that kept the thermalright SK-6 and T-Bird 1400 cool. It wasn't so much the volume of the fan, but the high pitch that was annoying. When added to five 40cfm Sunon fans, the noise from the system was getting intrusive.

I replaced the SK-6 with an Alpha PAL 8045, and used three Enermax adjustable fans for cooling - one on the Alpha, the other two as case exhausts. The exhaust fans are running around 2000rpm, which makes them almost silent. The fan on the Alpha is set to 3000rpm, which is just below the point where fan and air noise starts to get noticable.

In a 25°C room, the case inside temperature rose from 32°C to 35°C. Full load CPU core temperatures remaines around 50°C. All temperatures are taken with the on-board thermal sensors and MBM5. Temperature accuracy is somewhat questionable, so the numbers should not be used for direct comparison to other systems. In the context of comaring one cooling method with another in the same system (same motherboard, same case, same room) the resulting temperatures are close enough to show that there has been no appreciable degradation in system cooling.

The whole reason for the heatsink/fan change was noise. The system is now a lot quieter than before. It's still louder than the OEM PIII 800 system that is next to it, but that computer has a 5400rpm hard drive and what looks line an Antec Jet Cool heatsink and no other case fans. After removing the three intake fans, installing the PAL 8045 and Enermax adjustable fans, the loudest parts of the computer are the Maxtor hard drive and the power supply fan.

Overall, I am happy with the change in system noise. I can now sit and watch a movie without having to crank the volume over the system, but best of all I can sit right next to the computer, and when the cental a/c is on I cannot hear it.

Next step - reduce the noise of the wifes mATX system, which is now the loudest computer in the house! This will be a challenge, as the case is not tall enough for a big hearsink such as the Alpha 8045, and the motherboard is somewhat cluttered with components that would be in the way. I just replaced another SK-6 (this time with a 27cfm YS Tech fan) with a Taisol aluminum/copper heatsink so it's a bit quieter with no increase in processor temperature.
melvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
Boli
Cooling Savant

I know what you mean... now i can sleep in the same room as my computer without dreaming about jet airplanes all night.

Still need to sport ut the humming HD though.
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2003, 03:05 PM   #3
Zhentar
Cooling Savant

you call a 2000 RPM fan silent? you've been listening to too many deltas! if it weren't for my A/C running all the time, my 1500 RPM fan would be annoyingly loud......
Zhentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2003, 05:39 PM   #4
melvyn
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Zhentar
you call a 2000 RPM fan silent? you've been listening to too many deltas! if it weren't for my A/C running all the time, my 1500 RPM fan would be annoyingly loud......
That's exactly right! Compared to a system with a 7000rpm 60mm Delta and five 4000rpm 80mm Sunon's, it's silent. In a dead quiet room, the system generated noise would be noticable, and most likely fairly objectionable. However I don't have a dead quiet room, even in the middle of the night. The a/c is always on, and I have a large ceiling fan to keep air moving.

The noise level of a computer is relative to the ambient noise in the room. The only way I can keep room at a reasonable temperature is to have the a/c running almost all the time, which generates it's own noise - mostly the sound of moving air with a very low level mechanical hum. To strive for a totally silent system in this environment would be a pointless excercise, at least in my mind. Now, to make the system quieter so other ambient noises drown it out is a much more sensible goal.

There are still noise issues with the system - the power supply is now more noticable, and the hard drive whines a bit. The power supply is a 300 watt Antec (came with the case), and may just need a new fan. The hard drive, however, whines even when it's out of it's mounting and sitting on a block of foam. Short of replacing the hard drive, or investing in one of those silent drive enclosures, I have to live with the drive noise. In my mind, a little hard drive noise is nowhere near as bad as that 7000rpm Delta fan, so for now I have finished on my computer.
Unread 07-23-2003, 01:59 PM   #5
Zhentar
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by melvyn so for now I have finished on my computer. [/b]
Lol, yeah right. Not too long ago I said this computer was done, no more upgrades for it, I'll build a new computer when I need one and start fresh.

Do you know how many components from when I said that are still in my system? 1. The floppy drive. and I'm not sure it counts because I usually leave it unplugged....

You may say your done, but you'll be getting a FDB drive like a barracuda within months
Zhentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2003, 12:04 AM   #6
melvyn
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by Zhentar
Lol, yeah right. ... You may say your done, but you'll be getting a FDB drive like a barracuda within months
Sshhh!!! Don't say that, the wife may be looking!

Actually, if I bought myself a new drive, I'd better get one for her system too.

Hmmm... his'n'hers computer upgrading. Just might work.
Unread 07-26-2003, 12:20 AM   #7
Boli
Cooling Savant

You get the top of the line high speed 80gig beauty and you give her. a 5400rpm 30gig . I tink you can get one for a tenner.
Boli is offline   Reply With Quote